NHL thinking about banning fighting...

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:29 a.m.

Sorry to offend your delicate sensitivities. Hockey fights are part of hockey. I don't know about your rec league, in ours we fight and have contact… don't like it? Don't play.

pretty ironic, because fight is the one of the only two sports i watch.

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:38 a.m.

Its changing. You won't see fighting in hockey in 20 years.

:lol: wow, way to lay down the predictions!

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:40 a.m.

fighting is part of the game and has been since the beginning. I think they do need to refine the rules around fighting to bring it back to it's intended purpose (as I understand it) as a deterrant to cheap shots and running the key players.

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:42 a.m.

Lol jkwon.

So I guess music is not entertaining until it is world wide? So the most entertaining music is lady gaga and Justin beiber?

And rugby isn't entertaining because not everyone in the world watches it. Baseball sucks because I don't like it.

Get over yourself buddy

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:44 a.m.

On the topic, I agree that fighting isn't needed. The Olympics had some of the best hockey we've seen

However, I also agree that fighting isn't the big issue right now- they've got to get rid of hits to the head and brain injuries. Could you imagine if crosby's career ended, now? That would be such a shame for the sport

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:46 a.m.

Lol jkwon.

So I guess music is not entertaining until it is world wide? So the most entertaining music is lady gaga and Justin beiber?

And rugby isn't entertaining because not everyone in the world watches it. Baseball sucks because I don't like it.

Get over yourself buddy

perhaps i worded it wrong,
but hockey is only really popular in NA, just like american football.
it doesnt mean it's not entertaining, it's hard for rest of the world to relate to.
playing call fo duty is entertaining, but you could find it boring.

ps- for the record i said i dont mind playing it, i just dont find watching it fun.

Oct. 2, 2011, 8:47 a.m.

Of all the problems the NHL has this just seems like a relatively minor one. Fights are just kind of a side show that's usually just meant to get your team pumped. Players rarely get injured in them anyways as all the gear and skates makes it a little difficult to really get behind a punch properly.

It's all the intent to injure cases that seem to keep happening 3 or 4 times a season that they should be looking at.

www.natooke.com

Oct. 2, 2011, 9:10 a.m.

On the topic, I agree that fighting isn't needed. The Olympics had some of the best hockey we've seen

However, I also agree that fighting isn't the big issue right now- they've got to get rid of hits to the head and brain injuries. Could you imagine if crosby's career ended, now? That would be such a shame for the sport

I agree Olympic hockey was amazing but throwing the worlds best players onto teams to make it that entertaining ends up with a league of 3 or 4 teams.

Head hit definitely need to be dealt with, I don't understand why it's been so difficult to draw the hard line.

Oct. 2, 2011, 9:24 a.m.

:lol: wow, way to lay down the predictions!

Well its not going to happen overnight….. and at your age 20 years goes by as fast as watching metamucil dissolve in water.

Oct. 2, 2011, 9:48 a.m.

As an outsider looking in, fighting in Ice Hockey just looks the same as watching US style wrestling…..fake and tedious, and ruins the flow of the game. Sort of the equivalent of UK soccer when some guy rolls around the floor for 10 minutes because someone trod on his toe…..just play the fucking game!

treezz
wow you are a ass

Oct. 2, 2011, 9:50 a.m.

perhaps i worded it wrong,
but hockey is only really popular in NA, just like american football.
it doesnt mean it's not entertaining, it's hard for rest of the world to relate to.
playing call fo duty is entertaining, but you could find it boring.

ps- for the record i said i dont mind playing it, i just dont find watching it fun.

That is fine. That is whythere are menus at restaurants, we don't all like the same shit

Oct. 2, 2011, 9:51 a.m.

as a life long Flyers fan, it's pretty obvious how i feel about fighting

going all the way back to the broad street bullies, i dont think you'll ever see fisticuffs removed from the NHL

least not completely

ps bring on the season, I'm ready for some Flyers action

Oct. 2, 2011, 9:52 a.m.

Good riddance. There is barely any finesse left in North American hockey.

Oct. 2, 2011, 10:01 a.m.

but hockey is only really popular in NA,

Hockey is HUGELY Popular in Europe and Russia…

Oct. 2, 2011, 12:15 p.m.

In Rugby its five in the sin bin.

I've seen it as low as a yellow card in Soccer.

Bench clearing fights in Baseball occur every year.

If you don't like fights, don't watch the game. It's a heavy contact sport, fights are bound to happen. Pussies… all of ya.

well, im sure powers that be does care, as non-fans that would convert would generate money.

edit:

you don't think people fought playing soccer, badminton, or any other sport? competitive people + male hormone you're gonna get fights.
yet hockey is one of the last sports that allow it at high level.

Did you just forget about the post above yours? And Badminton? C'mon man, get real. Sports with contact have fights, it's just gonna happen. It's highly entertaining and very rarely does it cause severe problems. And aside from that, there is literally NOBODY holding a gun to the head of an enforcer and telling them that they will be an enforcer in the NHL. I know this because I work with three ex-enforcers… they agree that fighting is an important part of NHL hockey, that the instigator rule is garbage, and that cheap blindside head shots/boarding/etc. needs to be taken seriously.