New trail buddy

Nov. 26, 2008, 8:40 p.m.

So here is my new trail buddy. She's a little young, and too little right now, but eventually she'll be a lumbering 80lb beast (Alaskan Malamute) that hopefully doesn't sit on transitions or generally get in the way.

She's the smaller one here, a couple of weeks ago:

Here she is on the ride home from the breeder:

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Nov. 26, 2008, 8:48 p.m.

super cute
we're dog sitting a husky right now….he's a hairy beast….good luck with that!

Nov. 26, 2008, 8:51 p.m.

An Alaskan Malamute pup will be a top priority to acquire whenever I get my own place.

Have fun, betcha can't wait for 5lbs. dumps in your backyard.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan

Nov. 26, 2008, 8:57 p.m.

:( LOL

Check out my Buy/Sell items on Pinkbike: http://truvativ21.pinkbike.com/buysell/

Nov. 26, 2008, 9:07 p.m.

An Alaskan Malamute pup will be a top priority to acquire whenever I get my own place.

She's 15lbs right now (at 7 weeks :(), and I'm quite amazed at the amount of shit that comes out of her.

We (me and the Department of War and Finance) figure we'll just collect her hair when she sheds and sell mal hair pillows or something. We'll need a second business just to feed her.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Nov. 26, 2008, 9:07 p.m.

malamutes will eat your babies

Nov. 26, 2008, 9:25 p.m.

CUTE!!! we had a mal when we were kids, hope your prepared for all your neighbors complaining about the never ending all night bark fests.

i'm a has been, trying to be a never was on the comeback trail.

Nov. 26, 2008, 10:17 p.m.

very cute! they get very big :eek:
i think loopie on here has one as well

Nov. 27, 2008, 4:17 a.m.

Nice pup. Good luck with her.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

Nov. 27, 2008, 7:18 a.m.

Get a Defurminator.

It is a 75$ comb, but I will be damn if it doesn't help more with the shedding than anything else we have ever tried on our dog.

Nov. 27, 2008, 7:29 a.m.

Get a Defurminator.

It is a 75$ comb, but I will be damn if it doesn't help more with the shedding than anything else we have ever tried on our dog.

They have them at Petsmart or Petcetera? I prefer the small local spot but unfortunately they don't always have the selection.

Nov. 27, 2008, 7:41 a.m.

The nice thing about small local shops is that if you ask them for something you can't find, they'll often try to get it in for you! :)

She's a beautiful pup! Have fun with her, and remember consistency, consistency, consistency! :D You'll thank yourself when she is giant! :D

Nov. 27, 2008, 8:10 a.m.

They have them at Petsmart or Petcetera? I prefer the small local spot but unfortunately they don't always have the selection.

I got our Furminator at Bosleys for $70. They are pretty awesome, not designed to replace a regular brush, but once a month, you can pull off enough hair to make another dog.

Would making a dog hair sweater be creepy? :)

Nov. 27, 2008, 8:13 a.m.

Wow. Cool. :)

Side question: Can these dogs be trained to follow you without a leash? Over here we are told that such dogs cannot be trained to run around without a leash.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 27, 2008, 8:18 a.m.

Wow. Cool. :)

Side question: Can these dogs be trained to follow you without a leash? Over here we are told that such dogs cannot be trained to run around without a leash.

They're a pretty independent breed, and I certainly wouldn't trust her to be off leash in an area where there is a lot of traffic, but the breeder claims that hers are always off leash in the woods.

It's a slow process training her, but like reanne said, we just try to be consistent with a reasonably generous application of treats.