new (to me) car.... what to shortlist

June 7, 2012, 5:40 p.m.

new focuses are hawt.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 7, 2012, 6:01 p.m.

If I did that, I could still use the truck on the drives where I think it's going to be a real bitch of a drive up (30+cm dumping overnight, following snow plow, 3 hour from Van to Whistler, "OMG tomorrow will be epic" kind of drives)… and go with good snow tires are good enough for normal snow driving.

That's your best bet right there; keep the truck for those types of days and times when you want to shuttle half a dozen riders or go camping and buy a smaller car that will always get you good gas mileage, tires will be cheaper for and will still handle 99% of the winter driving you'll have to do. I wish I had kept my fullsize and bought a small car for commuting instead of selling and buying an SUV that gets mediocre gas mileage. These days every extra MPG from a vehicle is a huge bonus.

June 7, 2012, 6:09 p.m.

I've been impressed with our CRV. I put nokian hakkapelitas on it and it handled admirably on the coquihalla some questionable days. Im not the biggest fan of its awd but it does the trick for the typical drive. Lots of interior room to boot.

June 7, 2012, 7:15 p.m.

I've been impressed with our CRV. I put nokian hakkapelitas on it and it handled admirably on the coquihalla some questionable days. Im not the biggest fan of its awd but it does the trick for the typical drive. Lots of interior room to boot.

Welcome to the 1,000,000 + club!!!

:woot::rave::cake:

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 7, 2012, 9:03 p.m.

Do not get a Subaru. As my mechanic friend said "everyone has a story about why they love their Subaru, and they tell me the story ever time they have to come in and spend $2k on repairs". He told me he just nods and smiles; it keeps him in work.

Why don't you just get another Diesel Jetta and buy the best winter tires you can for it? The diesels are great because they have alot of weight over the front end and thus get good traction. Over 75% of the population drives front wheel drive cars in my area and we have 6+ months of extreme winter driving and some of the worst roads in the province to contend with. You really don't need 4WD or AWD to get to Whistler and back.

This is quite contrary to my experience. Had an 02 Audi A4 Avant that was an awesome snow machine, unless the snow was too deep. But it had serious repair issues all along the 5 years I owned it. After being out of warranty for 1 year (and paying for repairs), I bought a 2007 Outback and still have it to this day. Zero issues. Also have a WRX for almost 2 years with zero issues. As far as I'm concerned, you lease German, you buy Japanese.

June 7, 2012, 10:06 p.m.

Found a list of diesels available in US (Canada will be similar), seems complete, but disappointingly short:

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.com/automobiles/2012-usa-diesel-cars.htm

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.com/automobiles/2011-diesel-cars-usa.htm

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.com/automobiles/2010-diesel-automobiles-usa.htm

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 7, 2012, 10:23 p.m.

we bought a hyundia tucson v6 for my wife to drive.
good power on the hills , and under load with our camping gear , and two bikes off the back.
Capable and comfortable in the snow , and on gravel FSR type roads.

we were looking at Mazada 5[HTML_REMOVED] too mini van , and non attractive to my wife. Too little clearance too me .

Honda CRV too expensive with less room , and poor comfort in the back seats , cargo area .

toyota Rav 4 same as crv.

Hyundia , good warranty . Free money at 0% finance . leaps and bounds in quality , and reliability over the last few years.

would definatly consider their product again.

Audis and Vw's all look awesome , and pull at my heart strings. but after watching my friends pour money in to them . I steer clear.

June 7, 2012, 10:52 p.m.

Do not get a Subaru. As my mechanic friend said "everyone has a story about why they love their Subaru, and they tell me the story ever time they have to come in and spend $2k on repairs". He told me he just nods and smiles; it keeps him in work.

Why don't you just get another Diesel Jetta and buy the best winter tires you can for it? The diesels are great because they have alot of weight over the front end and thus get good traction. Over 75% of the population drives front wheel drive cars in my area and we have 6+ months of extreme winter driving and some of the worst roads in the province to contend with. You really don't need 4WD or AWD to get to Whistler and back.

Subaru, my 02 legacy cost me [HTML_REMOVED]$200 in mnt this year. 3 oil changes, and new wiper blades. just passed 200,000km last week.

Ok ok, it did have new HGs, timing belt, clutch etc when I got it..

Mazda 5 has like 2in ground clearance..

That new Elantra Touring looks pretty good.

- or AWD Toaster err Element, you can put a sweet camper top on them.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

June 8, 2012, 3:18 a.m.

3: … wagons are cool.

So NBR - what should go on my shortlist?

Maybe check out this guys automobeel.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

June 8, 2012, 5:41 a.m.

Delica van?

Pastor of Muppets

June 8, 2012, 6:01 a.m.

This is quite contrary to my experience. Had an 02 Audi A4 Avant that was an awesome snow machine, unless the snow was too deep. But it had serious repair issues all along the 5 years I owned it. After being out of warranty for 1 year (and paying for repairs), I bought a 2007 Outback and still have it to this day. Zero issues. Also have a WRX for almost 2 years with zero issues. As far as I'm concerned, you lease German, you buy Japanese.

my moms put 250k on her tdi golf and all that shes ha to do was one control arm balljoint, timing belt changes, glow plugs once, and a ABS sensor.

ive heard gassers are a bit more problem prone.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 8, 2012, 6:10 a.m.

I'm on my 5th Subaru now, I think the third one had an issue with one of the speakers buzzing……. so ya, definitely don't get a Subaru!

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

June 8, 2012, 6:23 a.m.

Subaru had a run of bad luck with their engines in the early 2000's. I think they're ok now.

And fwiw,they are reportedly the most popular car amongst lesbians.

Pastor of Muppets

June 8, 2012, 10:22 a.m.

Subarus aren't perfect. My '05 STi had something amiss (most likely cracked landing ring). I drove a lot of other STis and only 1 other one drive the same - exactly the same. If you do go for a Subie be sure to drive a couple and if one of them feels slower or has some odd sounds stay away from it. Most likely, you won't even find a wonky one.

The non turbo cars were known for headgaskets, but at the 140,000km-170,000km mark. Rarely, they'll go at ~70,000km. Even if you do hit this point just fix it once your temp gauge starts going nuts. Ignoring it can lead to piston damage and a new block.

No car is perfect but at least with the Subaru you have the option of a good community to rely on and a lot of good information.

June 8, 2012, noon

my moms put 250k on her tdi golf and all that shes ha to do was one control arm balljoint, timing belt changes, glow plugs once, and a ABS sensor.

ive heard gassers are a bit more problem prone.

we had many issues with our 2001 Golf tdi. Definitely a car I would not own outside of the warranty period.