new (to me) car.... what to shortlist

June 7, 2012, 1:14 p.m.

Doesn't look like it. Jetta Wagon, TDI (with available AWD) would be sweet, but I don't think they make them with available AWD.

Some of the other ideas being thrown out are good to look into though.

I'm almost positive the Tiguan does come in TDI.

Jetta TDI sedan or wagon would be cool tho. I like the Audi A3's as well.

Wrong. Always.

June 7, 2012, 1:36 p.m.

If you don't mind having another Ford, the Fusion is good. I just bought a 2008 Fusion SEL AWD in the fall and it was awesome all winter. 4 doors so you can carry some people around, Split folding rear seat, large trunk, i'm sure a roof rack would be easy to find too. 3.0L v6 with 230 hp. I recommend getting a black one with the limo tint rear windows. Its been a great car so far and pretty decent on gas.

I'm not sure what it is in B.C. but Gas is sitting at 125.9 right now on the prairies and holding strong.

June 7, 2012, 1:41 p.m.

I'm almost positive the Tiguan does come in TDI.

Jetta TDI sedan or wagon would be cool tho. I like the Audi A3's as well.

TFSI yes, TDI no.
Curious to those suggesting the A3, why prefer it over a GTI per say? just the all wheel drive aspect?

wow, M&M, you're a fucking dick!

don't be so politically correct, this is stacy kohut, not fucking rick hansen your talkin too……..

June 7, 2012, 1:42 p.m.

Mazda 5 - no AWD or snow handling, but everything else. You can probably drive one brand new off the dealer's lot for around $25,000 (depends on options).

June 7, 2012, 2:24 p.m.

We had similar requirements to you a couple of years ago so bought a new 2010 Ford Escape, 4 Cyl [HTML_REMOVED] 4x4.

Works great for everything you described.

For $25K you could buy a new one with no options, or a year or 2 old with options.

Ours is the base model with quite a few options, leather interior, running boards, cargo cover, sun roof.

Check the Lemonaide books, they get great reviews.

A few months ago my nephew was looking for a small SUV, after doing the same research as I did he bought a used Escape but V6 [HTML_REMOVED] 2WD.

Edit, Thread for reference:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=135466****

June 7, 2012, 2:56 p.m.

A3 3.2l Quattro.

The GTI's seem to be better equipped (read leather, xenon, sunroof) than a lot of the a3's available)

Or golf tdi wagon (not awd, but you are almost in range for a new one and they have 0% financing for 60 mo right now)

brokezors

June 7, 2012, 3:13 p.m.

we bought a used Mitsubishi Outlander this year. hard to beat a used car with 9 years of warranty left on it.

June 7, 2012, 4 p.m.

You could go with a TDI Golf or Honda Fit if you want good mileage. Get good snow tires for the winter.

There's an AWD version of the Matrix, but the mileage will be down to the point where you might as well get something like a CR-V.

The Mazda 5 that Duncan posted has a lot of room inside, and 3 rows of seats.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 7, 2012, 4:11 p.m.

You could go with a TDI Golf or Honda Fit if you want good mileage. Get good snow tires for the winter.

We have a Civic with good snow tires and it works well with great gas mileage, but CS asked for AWD or 4x4 so…

June 7, 2012, 4:30 p.m.

Do not get a Subaru. As my mechanic friend said "everyone has a story about why they love their Subaru, and they tell me the story ever time they have to come in and spend $2k on repairs". He told me he just nods and smiles; it keeps him in work.

Why don't you just get another Diesel Jetta and buy the best winter tires you can for it? The diesels are great because they have alot of weight over the front end and thus get good traction. Over 75% of the population drives front wheel drive cars in my area and we have 6+ months of extreme winter driving and some of the worst roads in the province to contend with. You really don't need 4WD or AWD to get to Whistler and back.

June 7, 2012, 4:32 p.m.

Not 4wd but elantra touring has loads of space inside, decent fuel economy and was easy to build a 2" hitch for the 4 bike NSR rack.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

June 7, 2012, 4:38 p.m.

oscar meyer weiner-mobile

Wrong. Always.

June 7, 2012, 4:47 p.m.

Do not get a Subaru. As my mechanic friend said "everyone has a story about why they love their Subaru, and they tell me the story ever time they have to come in and spend $2k on repairs". He told me he just nods and smiles; it keeps him in work.

Why don't you just get another Diesel Jetta and buy the best winter tires you can for it? The diesels are great because they have alot of weight over the front end and thus get good traction. Over 75% of the population drives front wheel drive cars in my area and we have 6+ months of extreme winter driving and some of the worst roads in the province to contend with. You really don't need 4WD or AWD to get to Whistler and back.

I could consider dumping the AWD / 4WD from the reqs list. Was hoping that there was some magic option out there, but always on AWD does hurt the gas mileage req (as several have pointed out).

If I did that, I could still use the truck on the drives where I think it's going to be a real bitch of a drive up (30+cm dumping overnight, following snow plow, 3 hour from Van to Whistler, "OMG tomorrow will be epic" kind of drives)… and go with good snow tires are good enough for normal snow driving.

June 7, 2012, 4:57 p.m.

We have a Civic with good snow tires and it works well with great gas mileage, but CS asked for AWD or 4x4 so…

He asked for AWD or good snow handling… :)

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 7, 2012, 5:09 p.m.

I could consider dumping the AWD / 4WD from the reqs list. Was hoping that there was some magic option out there, but always on AWD does hurt the gas mileage req (as several have pointed out).

If I did that, I could still use the truck on the drives where I think it's going to be a real bitch of a drive up (30+cm dumping overnight, following snow plow, 3 hour from Van to Whistler, "OMG tomorrow will be epic" kind of drives)… and go with good snow tires are good enough for normal snow driving.

If you have good snow tires and chains, it's not the lack of AWD that will stop you, it's the ground clearance. Since you already have the truck for when it's really bad…

I'm also shopping for a new car and like the FWD escapes. I recently rented a 2012 focus for a week and really liked it as well-ridiculous gas mileage and surprisingly fun to drive.