new phone time - samsung??

Sept. 16, 2015, 1:55 p.m.

time to (finally) replace my vintage iphone4. i've been an apple disciple forever, but the schtick has been wearing thinner. was going to go for the new 6s, but the prices are just silly now (ie, $530 for a 64g 6S vs $210 for a 64g galaxy s6 on the same 2yr contract). the samsungs have nice build quality now, and specs look great; i think i could live with one. is anyone currently living with one of these? deliberating between the regular s6 [HTML_REMOVED] edge (edge looks neat, tho questionable benefit. perhaps more prone to breakage?).

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:10 p.m.

I had a flagship Samsung for a while but it only lasted 2 years. I'm back on a apples 5s right now that's still flawless after 1 year. I dunno what they do but an iPhone has always felt like a much higher quality device to me and through my experience they have the reliability to back that up with. Hopefully they start making smaller phones again and everyone gets away from this phablet fad.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:18 p.m.

I have the S5 and like it a lot more than the iPhone 4S it replaced. Much better battery life, better display, much faatee, better camera, and a lot more features. It's also waterproof. The S6 is a noticeable improvement in terms of build quality, camera, and performance.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:24 p.m.

I just went through this.

Quite a few of my tech-inclined friends switched from iPhones and said nothing but good things about whatever they got and nothing but bad things about Apple.
I also talked to other people who were not as interested in their phone's tech and they were less happy with the switch . They planned to go back to an iPhone when their contracts were up and advised I didn't bother trying to switch.

I fall into the less tech group and got a refurbished (used) iPhone 6 from Telus on the same plan I had for my iPhone 4s. Price wasn't too bad.

I'm pretty sure Telus had a trade-in promo start up just after I bought my new phone that was $50 for a new iPhone 6 if you traded in your old smart phone and signed up for a 2 year contract.

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:26 p.m.

I have the Galaxy 6s and love it. I didn't get the edge as I wanted an otterbox which would render the edge function useless anyway. Gps works great for strava, camera blows everyone else out of the water and it makes calls really good like. Also fwiw the misses dropped her s5 into a creek a few months back and didn't realize. Some kid found it and was yelling 'mommy mommy I found a phone!'. This made her check and sure enough it was hers. Probably underwater for a solid hour, still works fine to this day.

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

it makes calls really good like.

WTF you mean this mini computer I carry around daily makes phone calls? You sure?

I have an S4 and it rocks, great pictures and battery life.

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

What do you need/want? Lots of memory for images etc? Good camera? Just a simple phone dammit?

viperfunk.com

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:38 p.m.

WTF you mean this mini computer I carry around daily makes phone calls? You sure?

I'm as blown away as you are. Sometimes I even get messages in text form from my friends! Amazing little contraption this Galaxy is.

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:46 p.m.

What do you need/want? Lots of memory for images etc? Good camera? Just a simple phone dammit?

rarely use that talking feature. good camera is a priority, and this appears to be one of the best. the lg g4 apparently has a great camera, but the phone is too big, storage is limited, and it's kinda ugly / plastic.

doesn't look like i'll give up too much in terms of apps moving to android, and won't shed a tear dropping itunes.

tmack - good point re: the edge. i drop my phone all the time [HTML_REMOVED] a solid case is a requirement.

Sept. 16, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

tmack - good point re: the edge. i drop my phone all the time [HTML_REMOVED] a solid case is a requirement.

Samsung also makes a Galaxy S5 'Activ' or something along those lines. Basically comes with a built on Otterbox and I believe an extended warranty? Don't quote me on that though.

Sept. 16, 2015, 3:17 p.m.

Samsung also makes a Galaxy S5 'Activ' or something along those lines. Basically comes with a built on Otterbox and I believe an extended warranty? Don't quote me on that though.

I picked up a S5 active a couple months ago. Gave up on Apple they kept breaking down. So far so good. Only Samsung complaint is the constant updates, although you can regulate that. Camera is awesome, the whole interface is super easy to figure out and have to say I'm a convert.
Phone is super durable, waterproof to a meter and lighter than my old Apple phone.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Sept. 16, 2015, 3:50 p.m.

S6 sounds like a great choice. I'm a bit wary of the non removable battery and lack of expandable memory, but that's me.

viperfunk.com

Sept. 16, 2015, 5:31 p.m.

I have a Sony experia compact. Great phone, waterproof, 21mp camera, expandable memory (I have a 128gb card /16gb internal) and great battery life.

Sept. 16, 2015, 5:40 p.m.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Sept. 16, 2015, 6:05 p.m.

I've had the S6 (normal) since it came out.

It's decent enough. The fast charge option is handy. Takes nice pictures.

Pissed it wasn't waterproof/resistant.

Had the Xperia before hand and the fucker was a piece of shit. Both mine and my wife's were dying after the first year.

I have no idea why they thought the Edge was a good idea.