New Leaf Springs Needed

March 23, 2015, 10:49 a.m.

I need to replace the leaf springs in my Xterra. I want to get a stiffer spring pack than the stock ones as I have an aftermarket rear bumper and NSR-4 rack on the truck. Increasing ride height slightly isn't a concern so long as Im able to get a stiffer spring pack

Is there any shops in Van that build or order spring packs?

I looked at a few shops online but the price of shipping a set of Alcans or anything else is a little gross.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 23, 2015, 12:36 p.m.

I used Scott Spring in Surrey last summer.
I had snapped a leaf spring in the middle of the pack; they were able to replace the broken spring the same day.

http://www.scottspring.ca/

When I decide to replace my the leaf spring packs, I'll get them to give me a quote.

March 25, 2015, 7:14 p.m.

Called them. At the price they quoted a proper set of Alcan or Deaver springs from the states is the cost or cheaper.

Now I likely need to find a shipping company in WA to handle larger freight and go get a set of springs from there

March 25, 2015, 7:41 p.m.

I dunno If I'd buy shit from the states again, not only does our dollar suck, but if you end up dealing with a shitty company and they send you a broken part and you gotta send it back to them at your expense, then they might send you a replacement that you have to pay tax on again because the dumbass left an invoice in the box.
Fuck that Id rather pay the 100 extra bucks and buy it from a local store.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 25, 2015, 8:03 p.m.

I'm stumped with my Tacoma too. Local shop says I should just run their OEM replacements but I'd rather have Deaver style leafs. They will make those for slightly more money but don't recommend them (No reason given).

March 25, 2015, 8:19 p.m.

I put Deavers in my Taco and they where $875( Sept last year ) . My kid has some ALLPROS on order thru BajaNorth in Loops , same shop I got mine thru . Not the most timely venture , I waited over 2mths and my kid is close to 3mths now .I had the parts delivered to my house , did the swap myself .

If you do it yourself I,d suggest getting a press to push the leafspring bolts out , mine where rusted solid I used a sawzall to cut the bolts , went thru 6 blades !!.

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 25, 2015, 8:26 p.m.

I'm stumped with my Tacoma too. Local shop says I should just run their OEM replacements but I'd rather have Deaver style leafs. They will make those for slightly more money but don't recommend them (No reason given).

Certain versions of the Deavers are super soft and designed for pure offroad racing . Dig around on youtube and you will find vids of guys bitching about their springs sagging after 500miles of street driving .

Mine are a 8pack design and are 1.5" tall , they have over 4000km on them of highway and some forest roads ( Sumas , Bear/Red (traildays)Vallycliff etc. ) and they are still same height as the day i installed them .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 25, 2015, 9:53 p.m.

can you stuff some airbags in there instead punky? perfect preload no matter what.

March 25, 2015, 11:22 p.m.

What is the local shop you going to?

Get Toyota to replace the springs due to the TSB. My old roommate had to bitch at North Shore Toyota but they eventually replaced the springs in his SR5 with TRD leaf pack.

Nissan wanted 900 or 1100 to do an OEM spring replacement. Xterra forums are filled with people complaining about the leaf packs flattening out even without any mods. My springs are past the point of airbags. I'd strongly consider them if I got a dirt bike and hitch rack

I could also order Old Man Emu HD springs for quite a bit cheaper but it appears there is some effing around with bushings, u bolts and shackles if I go that route.

Im not sure how much cash I want to throw at the Xterra still. The 15 Canyon looks okay… but cuts into my Central America surf trip funds

Long story short is I shoulda got off my wallet and threw in full lift kit when the X was brand new.:P

March 26, 2015, 6:43 a.m.

http://www.abbyspring.com/ Give these guys a call.

March 26, 2015, 7:19 p.m.

http://www.dendoff.com/

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 26, 2015, 7:42 p.m.

What is the local shop you going to?

Get Toyota to replace the springs due to the TSB. My old roommate had to bitch at North Shore Toyota but they eventually replaced the springs in his SR5 with TRD leaf pack.

Nissan wanted 900 or 1100 to do an OEM spring replacement. Xterra forums are filled with people complaining about the leaf packs flattening out even without any mods. My springs are past the point of airbags. I'd strongly consider them if I got a dirt bike and hitch rack

I could also order Old Man Emu HD springs for quite a bit cheaper but it appears there is some effing around with bushings, u bolts and shackles if I go that route.

Im not sure how much cash I want to throw at the Xterra still. The 15 Canyon looks okay… but cuts into my Central America surf trip funds

Long story short is I shoulda got off my wallet and threw in full lift kit when the X was brand new.:P

They were already replaced with the TRD springs when it was nearly new. They are still functional, not sagged, main issue is axle wrap. Would be cool to have a better ride off road.

March 26, 2015, 8:36 p.m.

Thanks Lu
Called another shop in the GVRD that has been recommended on here before; can't say I was stoked on the price quote

I'll keep looking around

March 27, 2015, 7:52 a.m.

when I was shopping for new leafs for my Jeep it ended up being way cheaper to order from the states and pay shipping/exchange etc - go figure.

I've found that ordering/buying parts locally is an excercise in frustration. Whenever I go to the local parts store I have to answer and argue with the parts guy about a million questions he pretends to know the answer to, wait for backorders, they always order the wrong parts etc. Total pain in the ass compared to clicking a few buttons on the interweb while I'm sipping my coffee

March 27, 2015, 7:56 a.m.

http://bigcountrycustoms.com/

Try those guys, I havent dealt with them in a few years but they were good when I did.

Ha Ha! Made you look.