New Ford Ranger and Bronco

Jan. 10, 2017, 9:07 p.m.

What's the point of something with that short a bed that over an SUV?

I'd buy that as long as it fit bikes over the tailgate. Wet dirty gear in the bed is also a good place for stuff. I want a truck, but for outdoor play, not towing trailers or hauling 4x8 sheets of drywall.

Jan. 10, 2017, 9:25 p.m.

These have been around for a long time in Australia, not certain why they never cam to the Americas? Diesels were impressive…

https://www.ford.com.au/commercial/ranger/

Jan. 10, 2017, 11:34 p.m.

I'd buy that as long as it fit bikes over the tailgate. Wet dirty gear in the bed is also a good place for stuff. I want a truck, but for outdoor play, not towing trailers or hauling 4x8 sheets of drywall.

That makes sense I guess. Myself I don't like the tailgate method and I haul materials so a weekend warrior truck doesn't appeal but I can see how it would if you don't want/need that much truck. Ridgeline looks like an amazing option in this category- although bet it's expensive and although its handsome it sure doesn't have "truck" styling. If it sells well I bet a Ranger will too - similar truck, tough guy looks.

I'd be curious to see the new mid-sized trucks parked next to say an early 2000's half-tonne, these things have actually gotten pretty big, while new full-sizes are just a bit bonkers.

I'd put good money on the new Bronco being boring as all hell. A modern version of the Bronco just wouldn't sell enough in 2017 to justify a separate platform. Want a "shit kicking" truck off the lot? Buy a Raptor. Or a "Raptor Ranger" if/when they come out with one.

Jan. 10, 2017, 11:38 p.m.

Raptor engine in a Bronco. That would be fun. Dangerous, but fun.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 11, 2017, 1:02 a.m.

That makes sense I guess. Myself I don't like the tailgate method and I haul materials so a weekend warrior truck doesn't appeal but I can see how it would if you don't want/need that much truck. Ridgeline looks like an amazing option in this category- although bet it's expensive and although its handsome it sure doesn't have "truck" styling. If it sells well I bet a Ranger will too - similar truck, tough guy looks. .

I've witnessed and talked to a guy with 3 full sized dirtbikes in a short bed Explorer Sport Trac. I was baffled as that truck is my specific definition of a grocery getter.

Reading up a bit on the T-6, i found it said that it was too close to f-150 sizing to be sold in NA, so what we get will be classic domestic bloated styling I would think.

yeah bro!!

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:44 a.m.

These have been around for a long time in Australia, not certain why they never cam to the Americas? Diesels were impressive…

https://www.ford.com.au/commercial/ranger/

My guess why they never came is ford is concerned they would eat into their F150 sales and they couldn't claim to sell the most popular truck in North America. Aldo more expensive full size probably has a higher margin than "compact" truck.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:46 a.m.

How much money did Ford really leave on the table has the share price of Ford dropped since they killed the Ranger, isn't Ford the the only N.A. car mfger that DIDn't need the bailout?

If you google Ford Ranger sales figures you will see that year after year sales dropped by 75% from the peak

also it was going to cost Ford close to a billion to retool for a new ranger, if Ford spent those big bucks and nobody wants to buy a small truck they aren't making a net profit so the ranger died cuz nobody was buying small PU's , in fact how many small PU's of the size made in the 90's are there for sale in NA now?

Toyota was smart cuz they resized the mini PU to the present day Tacoma it fits a family of 5, 5 adults in comfort, if Ford is smart they will copy most of that Tacoma they have torn apart in a design studio somewhere in Dearborn

Add to that Ford already had the f-150 which has been the best selling vehical in NA for [HTML_REMOVED] 40 yrs so just keep selling them to see what happens was a smart move, it appears they will build a 150 with a small diesel, I personally can't see the point of a 1/2 ton with a diesel in NA but I guess we will see if Ford can make money doing it

Personaly I can't see the point of a 2door SUV, all those 2 door SUVs are dead, how many are there for sale out there now?

The sales drop could be more related to the lack of change (ancient pushrod engine dated styling) than lack of demand in the size segment.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Jan. 11, 2017, 7:52 a.m.

My guess why they never came is ford is concerned they would eat into their F150 sales and they couldn't claim to sell the most popular truck in North America. Aldo more expensive full size probably has a higher margin than "compact" truck.

Can't do this with a compact truck.

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-road-raging-pickup-driver-ram-a-car-off-the-1780166027

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Jan. 11, 2017, 10:50 a.m.

The sales drop could be more related to the lack of change (ancient pushrod engine dated styling) than lack of demand in the size segment.

Comparing Toyota or Nissan Ford was ALWAYS behind when it came to the small Ranger platform

But when Ford has been making the f150, the best selling vehical in NA for 40+ years which is a truck which makes more money per unit than a Ranger, whom at Ford would Care?

While I can see your point the fact that nobody makes a small truck anymore and Toyota has gone midsized shoots down the argument for the small truck in NA

I have owned both and imo the Ranger in its last form is not a bad truck and probably on par with the old Toyota pickups of the 90's, that 4.0 litre is actualy required zero maintenance in 90k compared to my old 90 4runer

Jan. 11, 2017, 11:13 a.m.

What's the point of something with that short a bed that over an SUV?

I recently did a mixed camping/hotel trip with wet gear in the SUV that developed mold. 15 hour drive with a stinky tent in the back sealed it for me - I'll always have a box.

Jan. 11, 2017, 12:44 p.m.

I have owned both and imo the Ranger in its last form is not a bad truck and probably on par with the old Toyota pickups of the 90's, that 4.0 litre is actualy required zero maintenance in 90k compared to my old 90 4runer

My 4.0L xlt was a great truck, other than getting worse gas mileage than a full size.

yeah bro!!

Jan. 11, 2017, 1:14 p.m.

Yeah but my Toyo didnt get much better MPG maybe 27 on the highway

But no TB to change, no valve adjustments, no hubs to service

My wonderful 1990 toyo (hey its a TOYOTA!!!) would have cost me 2k in maintenace by now but I have spent ZERO $ on the Ranger

and it only cost 19k so coming up with the cash was easy

Jan. 12, 2017, 6:54 a.m.

The Rangers have always been available in SEAsia.

Malaysia has a cool version, I think that's what'll be available in Canada.
4WD, lifted a bit, diesel engine, costs less than 20k.

Would sell like crazy in Canada.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Jan. 12, 2017, 8:07 a.m.

Its the T-6 but the Ranger would have to sell like crazy in California

Canada has about the same population as California so Canada's market is only the size of a large american state, but California has the most strict emmision laws in N.A. so Ranger has to be sale able in California

Also due to Nafta and the UAW I think Ford would have to make them in NA?

maybe they could make em in the old Ranger factory in Fremont california ?

Jan. 12, 2017, 8:14 a.m.

I priced out a fancy Ranger on ford.fr and the pricing better be a lot better in NA. $58k (pre-tax) for a Ranger is a lot of money.