New federal budget.

May 3, 2006, 10:03 a.m.

1% offf the GST. SWEET

should save me about 7k this year…..

May 3, 2006, 10:05 a.m.

That would be the Doug Heffernen version of politician

thats too funny…post of the day i'm sure…..

May 3, 2006, 10:08 a.m.

I get 100 dollars a month in my bank account.
THats not alot. But it's something to me.

WHat was the liberal plan? Waste a billion dollars trying to organize where to put your kids with strangers?

I guess if you are lucky enough to be able to stay home having a 100 in your pocket is a good deal but for most of us - the 100 is not going to do a hell of a lot when all the top qualitly day care centres have just lost their funding and are either going to have to shut down or drastically reduce the quality of their services….. even if I was lucky enough to stay home (I say that but I wouldn't actually want to stay home -I like my career) I still would recognize the need for a progressive country to have a well funded - and top quality daycare system.. for those that need it or want it.

sorry you hit a soft spot - (you should have seen what the first draft of this post looked like - I deleted most of the drippy sarcasm)

also I think I heard on the radio that they reduced taxes for everyone but those in the lowest tax bracket - their taxes went up… nice……

2004 Banshee scratch for sale 999 obo - great condition - choice of Z3 or rigid funn fork - single speed - 3 piece cranks - hardly used…. pm me for more details

May 3, 2006, 10:18 a.m.

sorry you hit a soft spot - (you should have seen what the first draft of this post looked like - I deleted most of the drippy sarcasm)

He's in politics luv, Dig in: he's used to getting ripped to shreds.
;)

May 3, 2006, 10:54 a.m.

also I think I heard on the radio that they reduced taxes for everyone but those in the lowest tax bracket - their taxes went up… nice……

You are correct:
"The lowest tax rate, applied to earned income up to about $36,400, will continue to be 15 per cent until June 30. After that, it will rise to 15.5 per cent for income earned in the last six months of 2006, and stay at 15.5 per cent after that."

:canada: :czech:

May 3, 2006, 11:06 a.m.

You are correct:
"The lowest tax rate, applied to earned income up to about $36,400, will continue to be 15 per cent until June 30. After that, it will rise to 15.5 per cent for income earned in the last six months of 2006, and stay at 15.5 per cent after that."

Time to start a grow op in my garage.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 3, 2006, 11:06 a.m.

-Small buisness tax rate goes down
-GST goes down
-Childcare bonus will add a couple grand to my coffers.

Just to add fuel to the childcare debate. shouldnt I get the same benefit of a childcare subsidy because my wife stays home as a two income family with a subsidized daycare. Or are parents not as valuble a caregiver as a daycare?

May 3, 2006, 11:09 a.m.

I get 100 dollars a month in my bank account.
THats not alot. But it's something to me.

WHat was the liberal plan? Waste a billion dollars trying to organize where to put your kids with strangers?

It would probably in 10 years end up like the health care system. A perrenial fight over private and public options. With more money being wasted to fight each other.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 3, 2006, 11:12 a.m.

-Small buisness tax rate goes down
-GST goes down
-Childcare bonus will add a couple grand to my coffers.

Just to add fuel to the childcare debate. shouldnt I get the same benefit of a childcare subsidy because my wife stays home as the a two income family with a subsidized daycare. Or are parents not as valuble a caregiver as a daycare?

To me that is punishing the parent for taking responsiblity to raise their child, instead of the state.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

May 3, 2006, 11:44 a.m.

shouldnt I get the same benefit of a childcare subsidy because my wife stays home as a two income family with a subsidized daycare. Or are parents not as valuble a caregiver as a daycare?

You've fallen for the Conservative lies that the two can't exist in harmony.

The fact of the matter is that you should have the choice to keep your kids at home, or place them in a daycare. You're lucky in that you can survive on one income while raising a family, most can't. You're lucky if you have a social support network of family and friends that can take care of your kids if needed, not everybody has that.

This isn't about valuing the parents that stay at home to raise their kids, it's about not providing options.

Why not provide daycare for thoe who need/choose it, and provide a tax credit for the value of said daycare to parents who choose to raise their kids at the peril of their careers?

$100 a month is a cheap buy-off to create dissonance in the electorate so that the real issue isn't addressed.

iforonewelcome.com

May 3, 2006, 11:45 a.m.

I like the initiatives for students [HTML_REMOVED] education…

For me, as a grad student, this budget will be great:
"All scholarship, fellowship and bursary money will now be income-tax exempt, compared to the current exemption limit of $3,000 a year" :clap:

:canada: :czech:

May 3, 2006, 11:49 a.m.

This is what pisses me off. The 100.00 bucks is a drop in the bucket for parents. The center that I have been at as an on call sub is expensive, but it is one of the best, but if the Gov't shafts parents like they did, where are the kids going to go? Some parents will have to put them into non-licensed care, and that to me is a huge risk. From what I understand Jellybean Park is planning on opening 2 more centres, but I wonder how that is going to work out now…

Anyway, I am still going to go to school for ECE, I hope I can get some incentives too…

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

May 3, 2006, 11:52 a.m.

Adding more fuel.

Should parents have kids then expect the government to pay?

Realistically. $100 is better than nothing. In the grand scheme of things, we should consider ourselves lucky.

May 3, 2006, 11:57 a.m.

It's the economy. The way prices are going across the board, both parents usually have to work, that means that the kids that are not school age, must go into daycare/preschool. This adds to the costs of living. It helps that the Gov't takes some of the pressure off, because it's usually the gov't that you can balme/thank for the way the economy is going but a $100.00 dollar grant, that IS taxed, is not enough. At all.
If the gas tax was reduced lets say, then there is that much more money for the parents to put towards child care costs.

http://buysell.nsmb.com/showproduct.php?product=20017
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

May 3, 2006, noon

But before you decide to have children(s), would one not take this into account?