New Camera

Jan. 16, 2007, 5:24 p.m.

So im going to be buying a new camera in the near future

IM going from a little point and shoot but i want something a little more in depth

i was looking at the Nikon D40 and the Rebel Xt

Just looking at your guys thoughts on both of these cameras or others in the same generally price range

id like to spend under 1000 dollars too

so any thoughts or anything is welcome

thanks

ryan

Jan. 16, 2007, 5:26 p.m.

don't waste your money on the d40

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Jan. 16, 2007, 5:36 p.m.

can u explain to me why?

Jan. 16, 2007, 5:47 p.m.

the d40 is a nice camera but it is more at the level of point and shoot. if you are serious about photography you should try to pick up a d70 body and a nice lens as that body will let you progress more. i bought a d50 last year and i now wish that i had a d70 now as it would give me more flash possability's
but you cant really go wrong with the rebel or d40 or d50 as you will deffinetly be able to get great pictures out of both.
also the rebel/d40 is a small body i couldnt hold it comfortably in my hands that is also a big reason that i got the d50 as it is very ergonomic.
but whatever you choose the glass is very important so dont skimp.

brokezors

Jan. 16, 2007, 5:53 p.m.

alright cool

thanks

Jan. 16, 2007, 6:50 p.m.

Have you checked out the digital camera review sites in your search?

http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Also - do a search in the Photos [HTML_REMOVED] Vids forum here, as well as post there to ask deeper questions.

Posting this here will guarantee that this thread will degenerate into something random (probably about bewbs).

Jan. 16, 2007, 9:12 p.m.

blah blah blah

Posting this here will guarantee that this thread will degenerate into something random (probably about bewbs).

I think you should go with this camera, personally

Jan. 16, 2007, 9:30 p.m.

the d40 lacks an internal motor drive which means certain lenses will be unable to use auto focus. the XT/xti is unergonomic as hell but you should try picking up a used 20d. you can find them used right now for around 800 and if you wait a bit longer (in febraury) canon might be releasing the 40d/50d.

Jan. 16, 2007, 9:37 p.m.

I would recommend going to a camera store and seeing what they can recommend. You'll be able to look at a lot of cameras in your price range, and you will get direct feedback on what you should be buying.
I don't really like the D40, and I don't really know much about Canons. I think maybe a D50 would be a better option. It's kind of inbetween the upper end cameras and the lower end. It's a good starter at a relatively good price. The D70 is also another option, but might be a bit out of your price range.
Don't rule out Canon either, Im just biased to Nikon;). Goto a store and look at different options and get some direct interaction with the cameras rather than us telling you what to look for.

Jan. 16, 2007, 9:44 p.m.

Get a fucking Canon. I use the XT every day of my life. It's incredibly durable, is very easy to change settings on the fly, has spot metering, has a big buffer, and has low noise at 800. there is not much more to it. \

t he only problem is that it feels small in the hands, off the shelf.. but meh. not a big deal. i just picked up a battery pack for it and with that it feels just fine.

I recommend the newer XTi, though… it's nicer.

here is the largest poll of camers in the world.

http://flickr.com/cameras/

scroll down. see? the XT is at the top, by far. that is for a reason… it's a very good camera, for a very small amount of dough.

in the end. it's your call.

Jan. 16, 2007, 9:44 p.m.

ya i was going to reccomend him the d70 but then i think it would be hard to get a set up for under 1000
d50 is a really good option

brokezors

Jan. 16, 2007, 9:45 p.m.

the xt does now have spot metering, and its not very ergonomic

Jan. 16, 2007, 10:02 p.m.

Get a fucking Canon. I use the XT every day of my life. It's incredibly durable, is very easy to change settings on the fly, has spot metering, has a big buffer, and has low noise at 800. there is not much more to it. \

t he only problem is that it feels small in the hands, off the shelf.. but meh. not a big deal. i just picked up a battery pack for it and with that it feels just fine.

I recommend the newer XTi, though… it's nicer.

here is the largest poll of camers in the world.

http://flickr.com/cameras/

scroll down. see? the XT is at the top, by far. that is for a reason… it's a very good camera, for a very small amount of dough.

in the end. it's your call.

got an XTI for xmas and i love it. out of all the cameras i held this one felt the most comfortable in my hands.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

Jan. 16, 2007, 10:23 p.m.

the xt does now have spot metering, and its not very ergonomic

The XT's partial metering is just fine. It's a great camera to learn on if he's just coming from a P[HTML_REMOVED]S. Not everyone thinks its necessary to go from a P[HTML_REMOVED]S to 20D to make them a better photographer.

Not very ergonomic for whom? I don't have any problem finding the proper controls while shooting.

Jan. 16, 2007, 10:51 p.m.

The XT's partial metering is just fine. It's a great camera to learn on if he's just coming from a P[HTML_REMOVED]S. Not everyone thinks its necessary to go from a P[HTML_REMOVED]S to 20D to make them a better photographer.

Not very ergonomic for whom? I don't have any problem finding the proper controls while shooting.

Partial metering is not spot metering by any means.