New BC Offroad Law

Feb. 27, 2014, 6:46 a.m.

the real question is will you have to pay gst when you buy a used bike and register it. you do with sleds so I would imagine this will be the same.

Feb. 27, 2014, 9:48 a.m.

^^^^holy shit never thought of this. That would pad the overall tax injection quite a bit, over the registration fee. Even a 3500.00 bike will garner over 200$. That is way more cheddar in to the pot…plus the 48 for ever time the rig is sold.
For the record i dont have a problem with a one time 50$ fee, and 150$ per year for all my ORV, to cover third party and to help reduce theft and increase recovery. I am not positive that is the only agenda though.
the GST seems like a tap they may like, as those 200,000 bikes get sold around from user to user, over and over again. Fair to say the original estimate of revenue is higher than originally thought.

WTF, Over?

Feb. 27, 2014, 11:48 a.m.

No 5 paragraph missive from Norona's desk on this subject? I disappointed.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Feb. 27, 2014, 11:52 a.m.

how about the gst when you register it for the first time once this comes into effect.

that could make the cash grab a little more nasty.

im all for paying fair share of taxes but I hate paying a tax on something that has already been taxed. same goes for cars/boats ext

Feb. 27, 2014, 12:13 p.m.

No 5 paragraph missive from Norona's desk on this subject? I disappointed.

Dave's too busy changing diapers and working…no really.

BC has been lawless for the most part so this is really just the first step. Just you wait, it won't be long until the rules are rolled back on converting dirt bikes for street use. It happened down here and the state is pulling in a pretty good chunk of income by doing so. The money cow goes moo……

Ride More Bitch Less

Feb. 27, 2014, 1:01 p.m.

how about the gst when you register it for the first time once this comes into effect.

that could make the cash grab a little more nasty.

im all for paying fair share of taxes but I hate paying a tax on something that has already been taxed. same goes for cars/boats ext

The current original owners will be exempt because they already paid the tax at time of purchase. If you purchased a used machine from a dealer, you already paid your tax.

Big question will be the thousands of 2nd owner out there. Yeah, that will be a substantial tax revenue.

Feb. 28, 2014, 7:53 a.m.

really sux if you have a bunch of used bikes (and kids bikes) it would end up costing me over a grand (12% on 4 bikes)

March 1, 2014, 9:34 a.m.

??? Not sure about the island, but what do you consider, Vedder, Chipmunk, Tamahi, Nicklemine, Duffy, Inks, Bear Creek, etc.? I thought they were all designated OHV areas, promoted by BCORMA and recognized by the gov't as such…

Technically in BC there is only one recognized motorized recreational polygon. It's Bear Creek, Kelowna. This area has an extensive sustainability plan which can be read here

All the other areas listed by BCORMA that are on crown land have "lines" on the map representing trails rather than a managed recreational area with one user group in mind. There are definitely spots that can be assumed motorized but they do not have exclusive use of the land, nor have they 'section 57' status on the area. Truth be told, many of the dirt bike zones where people ride do not even have provincially recognized trails.

I agree that motorized rec areas are the best way to handle the conflict problems but the red tape associated with doing this makes it nearly impossible for anything like Bear Creek to ever happen again.

March 1, 2014, 11:22 a.m.

Whoever dropped the tip the through the tulips comment deserves some more rep.

Ha Ha! Made you look.