New BC Offroad Law

Feb. 25, 2014, 11:14 a.m.

Bet this is going to piss off a few dirt bikers.

New B.C. law brings in restrictions for off-road vehicles

I particularly like this part, as it will hopefully make it easier to identify those that are doing the damage, or at least disuade people from making poor decisions due to fear of getting caught:

Owners will pay a one-time registration fee of $48 and will have to display a numbered plate before they can operate on Crown or public lands. The database will be integrated with the Insurance Corp. of B.C. vehicle registry, and peace officers will be able to track stolen or abandoned off-road vehicles.

although I wonder if it means in the future these rules will be extended to cyclists as many motorists all ready call for.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Feb. 25, 2014, 11:27 a.m.

Approximately 200,000 off road vehicles at $48 each. The province is going to be accused of a 9 mil cash grab.

Thread killer

Feb. 25, 2014, 11:29 a.m.

Approximately 200,000 off road vehicles at $48 each. The province is going to be accused of a 9 mil cash grab.

Don't worry - the program will cost $9.1 mil to run - revenue neutral!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Feb. 25, 2014, 11:47 a.m.

Province of BC spends over 40 billion a year, and total debt is over 60 billion. Anyone who thinks 9 million is some sort of "cash grab" that could make any kind of dent in those numbers has no grasp of the scale of provincial budgets.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 25, 2014, 11:55 a.m.

First thing,you have to reg snowmobiles afaik,so what's the difference?

What about kids? Will they still be allowed to ride,or will you need a drivers license?

Who is going to enforce this? CO's are already spread too thin to do their fish/game/enviro enforcement as it is.

….waste of time when there are bigger fish to fry in this province.

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 25, 2014, 12:40 p.m.

I'm happy to pay a ONE TIME fee to register. Make it annual and I'd be pissed.

And I'm going to have to wear a helmet?!??? Oh the humanity.

Feb. 25, 2014, 12:42 p.m.

And it's still just a proposed law that's been kicking around since 2009.

Feb. 25, 2014, 1:02 p.m.

I'm happy to pay a ONE TIME fee to register. Make it annual and I'd be pissed.

don't worry it'll be months before they make it annual

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Feb. 25, 2014, 1:32 p.m.

Read up on the NOVA funds lawsuit down here in Warshingtun and learn some about redirection (read: outright poaching) of funding derived from off-highway vehicles for trail development and maintenance into the very poorly managed state park system.

Heckler, you'd like the $35 annual fee I pay for each of my grom's bikes then. And if you want to know what irate really is…my plated bikes get assessed a bull#### 'weight fee' that brings the cost of my annual tags to within just a few $$ of my 5500lb pickup truck. Ummm, ya…right… a weight fee.

Ride More Bitch Less

Feb. 25, 2014, 1:36 p.m.

Alberta has a similar system. I think Washington is pretty similar too. In Alberta i think the plate can be on your pack ( back or fanny style ) as long as they can see it. This is to cover a rider with more than one bike or type of ORV. If they do this insurance wont be far behind. Making the fine 10X more is significant. It makes the chance of getting caught with out it pretty risky.

WTF, Over?

Feb. 25, 2014, 4:22 p.m.

I already pay ~$150/yr for my goon insurance and BCORMA membership. $50/yr for my CPTA membership. ~$2000/yr for insurance on the 690. What is a few bucks more?

Like heckler said, as long as it is a one time thing. Like a snowmobile.

Although it will be hard to enforce in most of the province, it will definitely be enforced in the fraser valley and sea to sky. Popular riding areas already have cops checking for goon insurance at random times. My old roommate got nailed $400 last spring at stave lake.

Feb. 25, 2014, 5:30 p.m.

About time. They should tax the crap out of 2 strokes too!

How do out of province visitors get handled? If they don't have a plate, can they get a temp one?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Feb. 25, 2014, 5:45 p.m.

One time thing…ah ha ha, ho ho ho, sure thing.

Once the first drops of blood pass over the lips you bet there will be an annual bloodletting …errr…tag system implemented.

Switch, down here you can get a set of guest tabs for your non-plated bike. That is if you have paperwork for it.

So lawless up there, I love it!

Ringa-ding-ding-ding-ding Braaaaap!

Ride More Bitch Less

Feb. 25, 2014, 5:57 p.m.

Look at how happy you fool's are to pay yet another tax, for the privilege of using YOUR land.

About time. They should tax the crap out of 2 strokes too!

Because you don't like the noise, or because you have some high and mighty idea that their two stroke dirtbike is more harmful than whatever you drive? By that logic they should tax the shit out of all gasoline engines because they are intrinsically less efficient than diesels.

How do out of province visitors get handled? If they don't have a plate, can they get a temp one?

This I am curious about. If I want to bring my dirtbike back home for the weekend, am I forced into taxation without representation?

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Feb. 25, 2014, 6:29 p.m.

Look at how happy you fool's are to pay yet another tax, for the privilege of using YOUR land.

This coming from a guy in the land of the USFS,where land access is completely wide open.

Pastor of Muppets