New anti-UEFA Super League plans - demise of world football/soccer?

April 19, 2021, 9:44 a.m.

Decline of world football?

What say you, NSMB?

Concerns people have are that this proposed Super League will contribute to the erosion of the promotion/relegation model of European football. Some say it'll be silly, just a series of friendlies. UEFA says it will not allow clubs to compete in its competitions (Champions League, Europa League) if they compete in this new Super League.

Super League clubs say it's a way to recoup lost revenue from COVID.

Original teams signed-on from the EPL are United, City, Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea.  Also Barcelona, Athletico and Real Madrid, Juventus, AC and Inter Milan.  Notably absent are Bayern Munich and PSG.

I am a football fan from afar really, watch highlights of Premier League teams when I can, and watch a Whitecaps game or two per year. I'm curious if more invested fans have an opinion I should be aware of.

April 19, 2021, 11:23 a.m.

Poor business practices are killing the game.  They pay way to much for players and then can't find the revenue to cover the costs.

April 19, 2021, 4:03 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Poor business practices are killing the game.  They pay way to much for players and then can't find the revenue to cover the costs.

Agreed. 

Pro football needs to introduce a salary cap to make the leagues competitive. They also need to stamp out the culture of drawing penalties via oscar winning performances. Like suspend players who do it for entire seasons and make them forfeit their salaries. 

These two things are pretty much why I and many others don't watch soccer which is a shame because it truly is an epic sport.

April 19, 2021, 4:37 p.m.

Yeah, I have no respect for the pro aspect of the sport due to the diving and salaries. Hockey is heading in that direction as well unfortunately.

April 19, 2021, 10:39 p.m.

If soccer referees were allowed to officiate a game like rugby referees do, then maybe I'd watch. I think the blatant diving turns fans away.

April 20, 2021, 2:10 a.m.

The owners of those clubs have been making millions in profits for years. Still are, year after year. They aren't the ones with poor business practices. It's not about lost revenue during covid, it's just about guaranteeing the UCL/ESL money in future. In other words - greed.

https://youtu.be/FQIDff1G1JQ

April 20, 2021, 1:01 p.m.

Sounds like Chelsea and City are rumoured to be stepping away from the new league.  Hope so, others may follow.

I like the promotion/relegation system and hope it stays.  It means the regular season (all there is really) potentially has drama right to the end, and you can get invested in the lower tiers too, to see who will be coming up into the EPL next season.

April 20, 2021, 2:52 p.m.

Posted by: TheWasp

The owners of those clubs have been making millions in profits for years. Still are, year after year. They aren't the ones with poor business practices. It's not about lost revenue during covid, it's just about guaranteeing the UCL/ESL money in future. In other words - greed.

I support most of what they say, but there is a high level of hypocrisy involved, given the way the top four countries have already carved up the "Champion's" League amongst themselves. The English League gets four entries minimum, while smaller nations need to jump through multiple qualifying hurdles. I've never heard Carragher or Neville talk about the injustice of that. The only difference here is the closed shop nature is written in stone, whereas now its not quite so blatant.

April 27, 2021, 10:39 a.m.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/super-league-collapse-indictment-of-capitalism-by-yanis-varoufakis-2021-04