Needle Peak Hike (Lots of photos)

Aug. 20, 2012, 10:37 p.m.

So some friends and I have been planning on hiking the Tolkien mountain group out passed Pemby for a while, but we thought we should start doing some overnight trips to warm up for a 3-4day trip. After a couple drunken nights of talking about it, we decided to hike Needle peak. We left on Friday after work and got to the parking lot at around 1130. We cracked some beers and played some beerpong before going to bed.

We got up in the morning and left around 9. This was way too late because it was already too damn hot out. The first hour or two of the hike was steep switchbacks that had a few of us wondering what the hell we got ourselves into, but kept going. The first proper break allowed us to recharge and was at the end of the steepest part.

It continued getting hotter and hotter, and when we saw snow for the first time, it acted as a nice refresher to go lay on and cool down. We took our next break up on the ridge where we had some already stellar views.

We continued on taking in the beauty that we are lucky enough to have so close to home. We finally got to the lake to set up camp. At this point it was midday, with the temperatures in the 30's and not much wind. Not much at all.

Add a bike and you've got perfection right here, I kept thinking about how kickass it would be to rip a bike along parts of the trail up there.

All the tents were eventually moved to this one spot as winds picked up quite a bit. After a good rest, we decided to go to the peak.

Taking in the views at the edge without the packs is much more relaxing.

Quite a ways down.

Getting closer

Never got tired of the view

Things started to get steeper

and steeper… Im not the best with heights, not going to lie, I was a bit terrified at points, but that just makes it all the better.

The view from the peak

A stoked group shot

Getting a better look over the edge

Climbing down was a bit worse than going up

Awoke to see the a few friends at the top of the bowl

Didn't see much wildlife other than these ptarmigans, but I managed to snap a few of a family on some rocks. We saw a harrier I believe, but it didn't hang around for long.

This water was freezing, but was damn refreshing. When we first arrived, we were caught off guard by 5 guys who stripped down completely naked and went swimming and then decided to sit to around for quite a while as we were setting up. After seeing a quite attractive woman while hiking up, we were let down by the lack of boobs and the excess of naked men.

Selfy at the top of the bowl, I'm thinking i need to learn something cool like handstands for when I do these so I dont just stand there awkwardly.

All in all was an excellent weekend. Probably the best one of summer as lately I've haven't had many days off with working 2 jobs. I'm trying to put together 2 or 3 big panoramas that I will throw up later on. I move back to the island in around 2 weeks, but I will hopefully return by the end of September so that we can climb Blacktusk. You guys can expect another large photo dump if you liked this. I've also got a 2 month Eastern European trip I need to get around to sharing on here as well.

Cheers:beer:
Hope you guys enjoyed.

Brandon

flickr

Aug. 20, 2012, 11:03 p.m.

Those are some great photos.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 20, 2012, 11:14 p.m.

I liked this for sure! Another big photo dump would be greatly appreciated. Any chance a bike could go up and down there?

Aug. 20, 2012, 11:25 p.m.

I liked this for sure! Another big photo dump would be greatly appreciated. Any chance a bike could go up and down there?

Cheers guys. A bike could, but the beginning is very steep switch backs to the point where it wouldn't be worth it at all. It would be a very long hike a bike and you'd have to hike it down for the most part. Although some of the parts on the ridge would be a ton of fun to bike. We are hoping on going up in the winter and strapping the boards and skis on the back and going up there. Saw a few things about skiing up in the bowl, there was also enough snow that you could get some really short runs in at the moment.

I think I'll do photo dumps of each country from my Euro trip sometime soon.

flickr

Aug. 20, 2012, 11:42 p.m.

The bowl between Needle and Flatiron (the plateau to the west with the antenna on it) is a great ski destination. Quick and easy access to the alpine, long runs, and you ski right back to your vehicle. One of my favourite daytrips.

Aug. 20, 2012, 11:53 p.m.

The bowl between Needle and Flatiron (the plateau to the west with the antenna on it) is a great ski destination. Quick and easy access to the alpine, long runs, and you ski right back to your vehicle. One of my favourite daytrips.

The thing I don't like about snowboarding is line-ups at ski hills. It may be worth doing this trip for me.

Aug. 21, 2012, 5:23 a.m.

Awesome pics!

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Aug. 21, 2012, 5:53 a.m.

wooo! outdoor stoke!

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 21, 2012, 7:34 a.m.

That looks awesome. Have to admit I laughed a little at your initial tent placement though.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

Aug. 21, 2012, 7:51 a.m.

Great post and well written commentary.

Aug. 21, 2012, 8:44 p.m.

Awesome pictures. Has anyone here ever hiked Yak peak? Went for it last year but couldn't make it past the last patch of snow before the summit. Hoping to do it again soon.

Good times, nature sure is neat.

Aug. 21, 2012, 8:58 p.m.

awesome pics! Nice to see an area in summer that we ski in winter.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Aug. 21, 2012, 9:18 p.m.

NICE

Aug. 22, 2012, 8:47 a.m.

Cheers:beer:
Hope you guys enjoyed.

Brandon

Great pix. I hiked that a few years ago, got some nice pix (for a crappy camera) but nothing like your examples.

Got me a stoke on to hike Yak Peak soon!