Need Island knowledge. Juan de Fuca, Hornby

Nov. 2, 2012, 1:42 p.m.

Me and my girlfriend will be leaving for the island tomorrow in a 89 GMC camper van. We plan to go to Juan de Fuca tomorrow and stay for a day or two. I realize the provincial park campsites will be close for the year. Is there other campsites in the area? Or places I can park and sleep for the night? After that the gf wants to go to Goldstream park and doesn't seem to think it will be busy. Am I correct to think that it will be a shit show?

We plan to go to Hornby island for a few days of camping then on the way to Tofino. If there are cools places on our route we should check out, please let me know. And any tips of travel in these places would be greatly appreciated.

And since I wont be posting pics of the said gf (which is most certainly expected to be asked for). I grant you this.

Nov. 2, 2012, 3:07 p.m.

Goldstream will be fucked don't bother. Camp in Renfrew or Jordan river that site is usually open. It's pretty awesome China beach, sombrio and botanical are must sees if you want some more info gimme a pm
I haven't been to hornby. Can't help you there sorry

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 2, 2012, 3:43 p.m.

Hornby… Brad's Dad's Land = Gestapo Encampment.

Nov. 2, 2012, 4:01 p.m.

Not sure if you're asking about camping on Hornby but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Drive around, find a chill spot, camp. Most of the trails are around Mt Geoffrey and there's a pretty good map here:

http://www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/uploadedFiles/Parks/MtGeoffrey_Brochure_Jan07.pdf

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Nov. 2, 2012, 4:58 p.m.

I think its $15 to camp at JR. China Beach site is closed for the year.

http://www.goldstreampark.com info

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 2, 2012, 5:24 p.m.

Oh fuck if you are going to Hornby take your god damn bike. The biking in there is surreal, nothing extreme, no drops, no steeps, no wood, no skinnies, but so much narrow, flowey (is that a word?), moss encroaching, scrumptious, drooling, sound dampened, curvaceous (like the picture you posted) single track that you can cycle around and around all day.

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

Nov. 2, 2012, 9:40 p.m.

Hornby… Brad's Dad's Land = Gestapo Encampment.

Not sure if you're asking about camping on Hornby but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Drive around, find a chill spot, camp. Most of the trails are around Mt Geoffrey and there's a pretty good map here:

http://www.comoxvalleyrd.ca/uploadedFiles/Parks/MtGeoffrey_Brochure_Jan07.pdf

Only Ford's Cover camp site is open this time of year. It's a nice spot, and a 5 min drive or a 15 min bike ride to the trails.

Please don't squat - the islanders might take offense and could potentially insult you verbally…a week after you have left LOL

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 3, 2012, 10:11 a.m.

Sombrio is pretty impressive, I was there for the first time a couple weeks ago, hiked the Juan de Fuca south for a couple of hours from there…best to bring a pair of gumboots. You'll have a great time

Nov. 3, 2012, 10:25 a.m.

Sombrio is pretty impressive, I was there for the first time a couple weeks ago, hiked the Juan de Fuca south for a couple of hours from there…best to bring a pair of gumboots. You'll have a great time

Botanical is a nicer place if youre gunna walk the trail south a bit. but yea. seriously check em all out, take your valuables with you though.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 4, 2012, 8:57 a.m.

Sombrio is a shit hole. Don't leave anything in your car.

Botanical is way nicer. The rock shelf looks and feels very surreal. Natural bonsai trees are groovy as well.

Camp on the res out in Renfrew?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 4, 2012, 9:13 a.m.

Botanical Beach

Ha Ha! Made you look.