Need help buying Christmas presents for College / University Student

Dec. 14, 2012, 8:34 a.m.

lol, yeah. A Costco sized box of condoms.

And a large framed pic of dad holding a shotgun and smiling, to put up on the wall.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Dec. 14, 2012, 8:44 a.m.

IMO, (as a an active college student) ereaders are really not a good option for textbooks. I see people struggling to find the right section, page, flipping back and forth between pages etc all the time. When it comes to textbooks, you really the tactile sensation of having the book itself.

Ereaders are good if she's in a program where solution manuals (I'm in engineering, we use these all the time) are in play. You can often get the solution manual in a pdf and since you only refer to it at home and less frequently then the textbook itself a digital copy is fine.

She will probably appreciate having a good mp3 player (I use mine to tune out background noise when working on homework in public places) so if she doesn't already have a smart phone that's an option.

I assume she has a good back pack? It's an easy item to overlook but a good one really makes a difference when you're carrying 3-4-5 textbooks and their associated binders.

A good water bottle is also handy, I like the brita ones with the built in filter.

Depending what program she's going into, she may want a graphing calculator, those run about $150.00+. Check with her program first though, many have a specific calculator model that's required for the course.

Of yeah, a bunch of $25 subway gift cards might not be a bad idea.

I don't know if any of this is any help at all to you, I'm just kinda brainstorming here…

I ride bikes, when I can.

Dec. 14, 2012, 9:20 a.m.

IMO, (as a an active college student) ereaders are really not a good option for textbooks. I see people struggling to find the right section, page, flipping back and forth between pages etc all the time. When it comes to textbooks, you really the tactile sensation of having the book itself.

Ereaders are good if she's in a program where solution manuals (I'm in engineering, we use these all the time) are in play. You can often get the solution manual in a pdf and since you only refer to it at home and less frequently then the textbook itself a digital copy is fine.

She will probably appreciate having a good mp3 player (I use mine to tune out background noise when working on homework in public places) so if she doesn't already have a smart phone that's an option.

I assume she has a good back pack? It's an easy item to overlook but a good one really makes a difference when you're carrying 3-4-5 textbooks and their associated binders.

A good water bottle is also handy, I like the brita ones with the built in filter.

Depending what program she's going into, she may want a graphing calculator, those run about $150.00+. Check with her program first though, many have a specific calculator model that's required for the course.

Of yeah, a bunch of $25 subway gift cards might not be a bad idea.

I don't know if any of this is any help at all to you, I'm just kinda brainstorming here…

Any/all of what he said.

It was hinted, not said, but having good bed linen is super key. The residences stuff can suck big time (or sometimes it does not). Whatever you give her, add a card saying that you'll toss in money towards a bedspread if she thinks she needs it. Let her buy it, but demand a receipt.

Dec. 14, 2012, 9:39 a.m.

Throw everything you think she'll need in one big care package. It makes a bunch of little things seem like more and she'll be singing your name throughout the school year as she finds the things you put in there essential to her studies.

Good headphones/noise canceling headphones. They'll be shiny and cool and she'll really thank you if you uses them. Not everyone can study with music though. For me it's a good isolation tool while I do work and having them drown out all other noises is the only way it's effective.

A pretty little tea-pot, kettle, mug and some fancy teas. A lot of uni kids seem to like tea when they study. I am also one of those people.

A rice cooker and a George foreman grill if she's into preparing her own food. And maybe some special food preparation tools like a can opener, vegetable peeler, and decent knife. A bowl, plate and knife and spoon too.

You can then throw gift cards in there too. Buy a $25 gift card at subway and get a free footlong right now. Same deal at Booster juice, but a free juice instead of a sandwich.

Dec. 14, 2012, 9:48 a.m.

it does, so do the others ideas…

This is cool, thanks all, I'm starting to get an idea of what to get her now,
Any thing else comes to mind post it… Cheers

Dec. 14, 2012, 10:48 a.m.

One of the guys on my floor had a bread maker when I was in residence. Oh man did that hall smell good every Sunday when the bread was getting made. Little luxuries like that are worth their weight in gold during the cash starved student years.

Dec. 14, 2012, 11:05 a.m.

A printer! I have a Kodak printer and scanner which was relatively cheap, and actually doesn't disappoint me every time I use it. I think the ink refills for Kodak are cheaper compared to other brands which is good. If she has a printer, a spare ink cartridge can save lives.

As Chris S said, be sure to check the program before you buy a fancy calculator. At UVic (for engineering and sciences at least) in 1st and 2nd year math related courses they only let you use a dinky $8 calc.

As others have said, textbooks are gonna hit the bank hard. The UVic bookstore is a great place to make bad investments. I bought my books on Amazon this year and literally saved hundreds of dollars. Amazon gift card maybe?

No franchises on campus to grab a cup of joe. If she is a regular coffee/tea drinker, a solid reusable cup might be more useful than a gift card.

A memory foam mattress liner makes a shitty res bed awesome.

Some sorta shower bag to carry things to and from the showers.

If she will have a vehicle, parking alone will be $400-$600 per year, might be something to keep in mind.

Hope that helps.

Dec. 14, 2012, 11:06 a.m.

you do know what u-vic girls are famous for right

Dec. 14, 2012, 11:10 a.m.

I've seen your daughter in person :shhh:

Dec. 14, 2012, 11:20 a.m.

you do know what u-vic girls are famous for right

Volleyballs?

viperfunk.com

Dec. 14, 2012, 11:38 a.m.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I have a similar question but it's about my 9 year old son who's off to UBC Med to be like Doogie Howzer.

Wrong. Always.

Dec. 14, 2012, 11:49 a.m.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I have a similar question but it's about my 9 year old son who's off to UBC Med to be like Doogie Howzer.

And my 11-month old has solved the four colour problem.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Dec. 14, 2012, 11:58 a.m.

I'm gona get the GF's college girls jewlery cuz its a no brainer (which is right up my alley) they can return it if they don't like it and whatever I get them needs to be packed home on the plane so smaller is better

Dec. 14, 2012, 12:03 p.m.

I'm gona get the GF's college girls jewlery cuz its a no brainer (which is right up my alley) they can return it if they don't like it and whatever I get them needs to be packed home on the plane so smaller is better

I see what you did there.

pearlnecklace

viperfunk.com

Dec. 14, 2012, 12:18 p.m.

Walking around campus in the pissing rain sucks. Get a nice rain jacket/wind breaker and girly rubber boots. My GF has Hunter boots and loves them.