Need help buying Christmas presents for College / University Student

Dec. 13, 2012, 10:24 p.m.

Ok, my daughter (no I'm not posting pics) is heading to college for the semester starting in January (living at home with her mom) then starting in U-Vic next year. She's got a new laptop, I'm buying the software she needs as part of her present but we're trying to figure out what else to get her that she'll think is cool and is a big help in college / university. We dont have a clue, and are pretty much out of touch with the whole university culture
Any ideas would be a appreciated, stuff priced up to a couple hundred bucks.

Dec. 13, 2012, 10:29 p.m.

Ok, my daughter (no I'm not posting pics) is heading to college for the semester starting in January (living at home with her mom) then starting in U-Vic next year. She's got a new laptop, I'm buying the software she needs as part of her present but we're trying to figure out what else to get her that she'll think is cool and is a big help in college / university. We dont have a clue, and are pretty much out of touch with the whole university culture
Any ideas would be a appreciated, stuff priced up to a couple hundred bucks.

get her a webcam and an nsmb account….to cut out the middle man

j/k

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 13, 2012, 10:44 p.m.

get her a webcam and an nsmb account….to cut out the middle man

j/k

Just point us to her facebook page.

OR

Get her a good e-reader, she'll save a bundle on textbooks with it.

If you're loaded, get an iPad instead or with said e-reader (reading a lit screen sucks, the Kindle still rocks).

Failing either of those things, if she's active, give her shiny new "active" things (a fitting for new running shoes, bike parts she's been after for a while, surf board, etc) - she won't be able to afford these luxuries, and they'll help her keep the freshman 15 off.

Dec. 13, 2012, 10:49 p.m.

spare battery for the laptop, gift cards to coffee shops and restaurants - they need to eat and it keeps them out of the bars.

Dec. 13, 2012, 11:12 p.m.

if she's going to u-vic, and sharing a room, she's going to need her own fridge. preferable with a lock, haha

Dec. 13, 2012, 11:22 p.m.

Pillows, nice down filled pillows. College and university girls love to have pillow fights in their nighties…………:woot:

Dec. 13, 2012, 11:27 p.m.

if she's going to u-vic, and sharing a room, she's going to need her own fridge. preferable with a lock, haha

Yup fridge is an order for next year for sure..

I do like this e-reader idea, gonna research these things

Dec. 14, 2012, 12:15 a.m.

Mini fridge. IF she plans on going into residence.

Pretty much essential. (it's what I got)

A lot of kids are using ipads now to write notes ontop of the instructors pdf's. Pretty nice to reduce the clutter of notes everywhere. Kind of a cool gift that would also work for school. Typing out notes on a laptop just isn't very useful for many classes IMO.

Dec. 14, 2012, 2:24 a.m.

you don't need anything for college except some notebooks, pens and the textbooks.

Laptop is handy for writing papers though. But only tools use them in class.

Buy her something fun, like surf lessons in tofino or a nice gore-tex rain coat, perhaps some cool Blundstone boots or Sherlock Holmes novels - reading good books will make her a better student.

You can also go cheap and buy her something from www.Fiverr.com

such as this , a personalized video message from a dude riding his moto though indian rush hour : http://fiverr.com/mrbaig/ride-on-my-motorbike-on-rushy-roads-and-will-send-you-1080p-hd-video

be creative in your quest of making your child happy:woot:

Dec. 14, 2012, 2:44 a.m.

Gift cards to coffee shops and food places are big for a university student (they're hugely helpful during my class breaks when I am out of money which is all the time). Buy her text books. My god, those things are fucking expensive.

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

Dec. 14, 2012, 3:29 a.m.

you don't need anything for college except some notebooks, pens and the textbooks.

Dec. 14, 2012, 4:17 a.m.

Just point us to her facebook page.

OR

Get her a good e-reader, she'll save a bundle on textbooks with it.

If you're loaded, get an iPad instead or with said e-reader (reading a lit screen sucks, the Kindle still rocks).

Failing either of those things, if she's active, give her shiny new "active" things (a fitting for new running shoes, bike parts she's been after for a while, surf board, etc) - she won't be able to afford these luxuries, and they'll help her keep the freshman 15 off.

E-readers are nice, but any class that allows open textbook for tests she will be fucked. I don't know how common that is in touchy-feely crap, but it was fairly common in engineering.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

Dec. 14, 2012, 6:33 a.m.

Money. I always sent my nieces and nephews nice presents when they were kids. Now that they are in uni, living in res, they get money. It erases your question and allows them to choose.

www.northshorebillet.com

Dec. 14, 2012, 8:23 a.m.

condoms…

Check my stuff for sale!

Dec. 14, 2012, 8:32 a.m.

condoms…

^^
Surprised it took till post #14 for someone to say this….