NBR Voted 2016 Aftermath

Nov. 13, 2016, 1:53 p.m.

How can a multi cultural society be equally offended?

Dobbins is talking about the Lib's not following through on election promises.
I didn't hear Trudeau bragging about sex assault or calling any nationalities rapists during the campaign.
But of course I weren't smoking anything.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 13, 2016, 4:36 p.m.

Hey man, I just post stuff and let you guys correct it.

That makes you either a liar or a gullible fool.

Nov. 13, 2016, 6:22 p.m.

That makes you either a liar or a gullible fool.

Believe what you want mang.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 13, 2016, 6:23 p.m.

That still wouldnt offend "us" imo.

Nov. 13, 2016, 6:26 p.m.

wtf it would certainly offend enough different constituencies on enough different issues to constitute an "us".
Pull your head out. :P

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 13, 2016, 6:34 p.m.

wtf it would certainly offend enough different constituencies on enough different issues to constitute an "us".
Pull your head out. :P

First, it's too big to come out. Just something myself and everyone else gets to deal with ;) As for that actual topic, I think it'd have to be something monumental along the lines of the Trudeau banning NHL hockey in Canada to get to the level of the current US protesters. Canadians seem to accept that politicians arent going to keep every promise.

Nov. 13, 2016, 7:37 p.m.

65 million people didn't like the outcome (the majority). Protest is a vital part of the democratic process. Visit the central square on any US university campus and you'll see some sort of activism every day of the week. In 2014, striking BC teachers wanted support in the form of protest and drew only a paltry turnout in downtown Vancouver.

I completely agree. The ability to protest is very important.

That said, what is the goal of this particular protest? "Fuck you rural America, you're a bunch of cousin-fucking cunts". That's going to mend fences.

If Clinton won, there would be equal vitriol but with little in the way of mass protest as those who voted Trump are more geographically scattered.

Hilary supporters are only millimeters better than Trump supporters.

Your housing is being traded like stocks on a foreign exchange and barely a whisper is heard. Why are Canadians so scared to speak out?

Separate issue. The two biggest reasons are that the bulk of local's who own only care about their net-worth and that renter's carry a scarlet letter and are looked down upon, imposing a psychological cost to speak out.

Nov. 17, 2016, 1:32 a.m.

https://soundcloud.com/flashpoints/flashpoints-11-09-2016

Nov. 17, 2016, 2:32 p.m.

RM, I would have replied sooner, but I ran into a brick wall of stomach flu.

If Clinton won, there would be equal vitriol but with little in the way of mass protest as those who voted Trump are more geographically scattered.

I think there would have absolutely been protests from the right if we had seen a different outcome. Trump drew huge at rallies across rural America, which doesn’t square with not showing up due to geographical constraints. You’re right in that they probably wouldn’t have been as organized and/or concentrated.

That said, what is the goal of this particular protest? "Fuck you rural America, you're a bunch of cousin-fucking cunts". That's going to mend fences.

We don’t think Trump is a suitable president! What was the point of African American Civil Rights protests? “Fuck you white America, you’re a bunch of racists”. The US has a long productive history of using social protest to affect change. These protests are just the beginning. IMO, a new block of citizenry is feeling like they’re the new front lines. I expect we’ll see a shit load more protest.

Hilary supporters are only millimeters better than Trump supporters.

I’ve read your “doesn’t matter what party etc“ bit. Despite your enthusiasm to see it, I don’t think you believe it. I don't want to come off as disrespectful, but you were clear in your sentiment (though it looks like you've deleted) that this outcome is a fantastic punishment. I agree.

Nov. 18, 2016, 8:21 p.m.

RM, I would have replied sooner, but I ran into a brick wall of stomach flu.

I think there would have absolutely been protests from the right if we had seen a different outcome. Trump drew huge at rallies across rural America, which doesn’t square with not showing up due to geographical constraints. You’re right in that they probably wouldn’t have been as organized and/or concentrated.

We don’t think Trump is a suitable president! What was the point of African American Civil Rights protests? “Fuck you white America, you’re a bunch of racists”. The US has a long productive history of using social protest to affect change. These protests are just the beginning. IMO, a new block of citizenry is feeling like they’re the new front lines. I expect we’ll see a shit load more protest.

I’ve read your “doesn’t matter what party etc“ bit. Despite your enthusiasm to see it, I don’t think you believe it. I don't want to come off as disrespectful, but you were clear in your sentiment (though it looks like you've deleted) that this outcome is a fantastic punishment. I agree.

Hope you're feeling better. I myself am suffering from way-over-my-head-itis in terms of reno's.

I'll work my way backwards. I rarely delete any posts. Usually only if in hindsight they add nothing but angst to the conversation (or in other words, I was being a huge dick).

Next, there's no enthusiasm in my "no party bit", just acceptance. Temporally speaking, the Republicans will definitely bring upon French Rev II much quicker than the Democrats, who are more into testing the frog and boiling pot angle.

Finally, I think there are no parallels to be drawn between the African American Civil Rights movement with the protests that happened after the election. There was no ambiguity on the former. There is nothing but ambiguity on the latter, with an infinite laundry list that would need to be covered before common ground was found. Given the fact that at this point no one listens to each other and only uses the time when their mouth is closed to think about "facts" to throw at the other, things are only going to get worse.

Trump and the GOP are akin to locking your child in the closet and making them smoke the whole damn pack of cigarettes. That'll learn 'em.

haaaaaaaa right.

Nov. 19, 2016, 12:46 p.m.

This is what I mean by enraging a majority hoard of Canadians to the point where they take to the streets and protest peacefully like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNegGEoohK4

Sept. 9, 2019, 12:35 p.m.

Hilarious looking back at this.