NBR Voted 2016 Aftermath

Nov. 11, 2016, 7:36 a.m.

Big countries, at some point, stop working.

These divisions will never be healed without extensive funding to education, and we're all too busy falling over each other to comment how CEO's work hard for their money and how we really, REALLY need that piece of shit plastic thing from Costco right now.

Behavioral psychology, statistics and media-defense courses should be introduced and expanded upon starting in grade school. Until that happens the best we can do is yelling at each other and telling others they're wasting their vote unless they vote for one of two parties.

This election result is the best of both worlds. The Democrat's get a major kick in the cunt and the Republican's will not be able to contain their greed. All those poor fuckers who are making less than $300,000 a year in the US are gonna feel it in the next few years.

We get what we deserve.

The really sad part is that those parts of your idea for a much-needed change in curriculum are not really welcome anywhere in the first world for that matter.

The only chance a teacher or a staff has is to work together and more or less use those little grey areas in a lot of subjects to actively help the students to see behind the facade.

A change in educational programs or curricula is not likely to happen simply because education has to do with politics, at least in general - those in power would like to keep it that way. What an individual teacher and his colelagues do is a different matter though.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Nov. 11, 2016, 8:14 a.m.

As been mentioned, there is still some sort of other vote. She does have a chance, yes no?

considering the republicans control the house and the senate that would be a no.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 11, 2016, 12:56 p.m.

What an individual teacher and his colleagues do is a different matter though.

In 1966, Mr. Grey, my 6th grade teacher would stalk back and forth in front of the blackboard, waving his arms in the air while ranting and raving about the injustice and wrongness of the Vietnam war.

I remember he compared it to the British meddling in the Civil War on the side of the south.

I wonder if he ever got called on the carpet by admin. 'cause you gotta' think that at some time or another one of his pupils musta' gone home and spilled it - "Mr. Grey says….." :lol:

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 11, 2016, 3:10 p.m.

considering the republicans control the house and the senate that would be a no.

And fly boy still buzzed the tower. Some electors said they wouldn't vote trump. Small chance but still a chance. And if the protests keep going, since she won the popular vote, it might be "in America's best interest to not elect trump"…

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 11, 2016, 10:21 p.m.

Meanwhile in Portland.

Nov. 11, 2016, 10:38 p.m.

Good thing they don't have an NHL team.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 11, 2016, 10:45 p.m.

Good thing they don't have an NHL team.

Yeah they could be contenders.

Nov. 12, 2016, 8:34 a.m.

Just got back from California. I had several Californians declare their independence to me. A couple even said if Trudeau showed up tomorrow with 2 people to back him up he could overthrow California. (They love Trudeau down there.) Even the state posted a public notice basically telling the feds that they are the biggest portion of the gdp and that they have liberal beliefs on how things should go and don't fuck with those beliefs yada yada yada and oh by the way don't forget we were the last state to join the union dot dot dot. I for one welcome doing business with the new independent republic of California. #calexit

Nov. 12, 2016, 11:59 a.m.

Just got back from California. I had several Californians declare their independence to me. A couple even said if Trudeau showed up tomorrow with 2 people to back him up he could overthrow California. (They love Trudeau down there.) Even the state posted a public notice basically telling the feds that they are the biggest portion of the gdp and that they have liberal beliefs on how things should go and don't fuck with those beliefs yada yada yada and oh by the way don't forget we were the last state to join the union dot dot dot. I for one welcome doing business with the new independent republic of California. #calexit

Such precious snowflakes.

Nov. 12, 2016, 1:30 p.m.

Lol. You so cute.

Nov. 12, 2016, 1:49 p.m.

I don't think you would call Governor Jerry Brown a precious snowflake. Read whatever you want into what he's been saying but it sounds to me like he wont hesitate to drop the other shoe if Trump doesn't work with California. They are the world's 6 biggest GDP and they know it. It sounds to me like they are flexing a bit.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-gov-jerry-brown-says-californians-1478821311-htmlstory.html

Nov. 12, 2016, 2:36 p.m.

Behavioral psychology, statistics and media-defense courses should be introduced and expanded upon starting in grade school. Until that happens the best we can do is yelling at each other and telling others they're wasting their vote unless they vote for one of two parties…

We get what we deserve.

Not so much "deserve", because we "deserve" the education noted above. To the extent that any of us actually deserve anything. These are things that a thinking society should provide to its people, in the name of stability and civility.

I will add to that list some sort of "civics" education. I am sick and tired of government being a "they". Government is "us", in democratic nations. But we have:

- people voting in protest of things without understanding or bothering to understand the ramifications (hello Brexit and Trump)
- people not voting at all, and then taking to the streets merely hours after they SHOULD and COULD have voted, to protest an election outcome

Maybe voting should be a privilege and not a right. Sounds horribly elitist I know, but if one isn't equipped intellectually to weigh the options, should they be allowed to weigh in?

Also my mind has wandered to thinking maybe its too much to have a single leader on all fronts. We expect one guy or one party to represent the full spectrum of challenges, such as the economy, the environment, social issues. A more "pick and choose" approach might work better. But… as these 3 things, and all things, require trading-off between each, I guess that wouldn't work. Gotta say that a Trump victory has me thinking a lot about some of the fundamentals… more than I ever have.

Nov. 12, 2016, 2:40 p.m.

calexit #cascadianation

We could team up.

There's nothing better than an Orangina after cheating death with Digger.

Nov. 12, 2016, 2:41 p.m.

calexit #cascadianation

We could team up.

I have always felt the Cascadia concept has merit.

Nov. 12, 2016, 5:16 p.m.

- people voting in protest of things without understanding or bothering to understand the ramifications (hello Brexit and Trump)

"People" understand quite well who it is that have been applying the neo-liberalism savaging their lot in life. The Brexit/Trump result was a resounding repudiation of those policies.

Maybe voting should be a privilege and not a right. Sounds horribly elitist I know, but if one isn't equipped intellectually to weigh the options, should they be allowed to weigh in?

"Horribly elitist". You got that part right.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.