NBR moderation

May 27, 2022, 7:35 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

I wasn't aware that participation in this forum in general or NBR in particular required people to ride mountain bikes. 

Look directly above your post. I addressed this concern.

May 27, 2022, 7:44 a.m.

Posted by: Vikb

I wasn't aware that participation in this forum in general or NBR in particular required people to ride mountain bikes.

Look directly above your post. I addressed this concern.

I was in the midst of typing my post out before you replied. That's one of the troublesome quirks of online communication; you can be replying to something that's already been addressed and won't know until after. It also makes it easy to miss a post altogether when there are multiple people in the conversation. It would be great if a webpage updated in real time while we are typing out responses so we keep track of the discussion as it flows without having to hit refresh or make a post.

Edit: You did say tho that if someone hadn't made a bike related post in months that would factor into your moderation actions. I don't think that should be happening.

Last edited by: syncro on May 27, 2022, 7:51 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 27, 2022, 7:56 a.m.

FWIW I think some moderation is good and necessary, such as temp suspensions or bans,  but censorship is something that needs to be meted out very carefully. Unless comments are particularly egregious or denigrate people based on their identity, censorship should be avoided.

May 27, 2022, 8:13 a.m.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I'd like to reiterate that we only restrict members' posting privileges because of their behaviour, not because of their opinions.

It sounds like a few of you mistake NSMB for an important platform for political discourse without which democracy would be doomed. It's just a website about mountain biking and NBR is where we invite people for a beer and a chat after the ride. Old friends who stopped riding years ago are still welcome to join. Sometimes we talk bikes, sometimes we talk bullshit, and other times we talk politics. Sometimes we disagree and sometimes things get a bit heated but we keep it respectful and have a good laugh about it all the same, we're just here to have a good time after all. If someone consistently misbehaves at these occasions and makes the atmosphere turn sour, and some other people stop coming because of that, at some point we stop inviting that person. It's as simple as that.

Now we can disagree about what constitutes unwanted behaviour but in the end the host decides. Perhaps some of you would keep inviting that person to your own BBQs because you find "free speech" at your BBQ more important than all your guests having a good time. That's totally OK, it's your BBQ. This is ours and we want everyone here to have a good time.

Again, I think we moderate the forums very lightly. When we do step in, obviously we can't make everyone happy. We do our best to be unbiased and we don't have any political agenda but we are also human. I think the only way to guarantee forum moderation to be 100% unbiased from a political point of view would be to ban political topics altogether. It would make moderation a lot easier for sure.

May 27, 2022, 9:09 a.m.

I love the BBQ analogy.  I think it is good to remember that you put on this decades long BBQ for all of us.  Thank you.  

PS:  Now I am craving ribs.

May 27, 2022, 10:46 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiROxRWcvmk

May 27, 2022, 11:24 a.m.

Bring back the purple board

May 27, 2022, 12:31 p.m.

FWIW I think some moderation is good and necessary, such as temp suspensions or bans,  but censorship is something that needs to be meted out very carefully. Unless comments are particularly egregious or denigrate people based on their identity, censorship should be avoided.

You should spend some time at 4chan and experience the nuanced and considered dialogue that zero moderation breeds.

May 27, 2022, 2:10 p.m.

Maybe we could just have a separate unmoderated hidden forum that only the old NBR gang has access to?

May 27, 2022, 3:02 p.m.

The terms of service are pretty clear and he had plenty of warnings. Moderation is a double edged sword, people are going to complain whether you intervene or whether you choose not to.

May 27, 2022, 5:52 p.m.

Can you create a new user name & rejoin?

May 27, 2022, 7:09 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

You should spend some time at 4chan and experience the nuanced and considered dialogue that zero moderation breeds.

/\

May 27, 2022, 8:47 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

and lose all your rep points?

wait a minute...

May 27, 2022, 11:07 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

Posted by: Stuminator

and lose all your rep points?

wait a minute...

I have an idea...hear me out...maybe we could review each other except instead of 5 stars it could be 5 bikes. Like..we could give eachother a score out of 5 bikes.

If our score goes below 3 bikes we can no longer post

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on May 27, 2022, 11:08 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
May 28, 2022, 10:36 a.m.

yeah we had rep back in the day, so IME if I posted something that was true and well thot out I got no reps,

but if I purposely posted something really stupid/ obviously untrue I would get rep'ed

so i would do this as long as my stomach could handle it just to see what the level of stupid was

which made me wonder what is the brain capacity/ actual thot process of the average poster on NSMB ?

I think i would rather depend on a moderator

I used to post on an un moderated kayak website back in the day and it was pretty vicious

Last edited by: XXX_er on May 28, 2022, 11:15 a.m., edited 2 times in total.