NBR Decide My Life: Hardwood vs. Laminate

Sept. 26, 2014, 4:19 p.m.

My place came with engineered hardwood. It looks great but my 20lb dog's claws have done some damage in a few spots. This could be due to the wood chosen however.

I'd second the caution on stairs. It's slippery as hell and with a toddler I'm always sketched out watching him waddle down.

Sept. 26, 2014, 4:35 p.m.

It took me forever to do the stairs. At first I had cork in the middle section, didn't really like the way it looked, then took it out and put down hardwood. I hated life halfway through that ordeal.

lol - yeah i know what you mean. the first time i did a set of stairs it sucked.

the way to make it easier is to have the skirt board rest on top of the stairs though instead of having the treads and nosing butt up to the skirt board. it does a better job of hiding the joint at the skirt and the treads, makes it easier to cut the treads as you don't have to be super precise and the mdf skirt is much easier to cut and work with than the treads.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 26, 2014, 4:42 p.m.

Rocket tooth removal is the coolest thing in this thread.

Sept. 26, 2014, 5:22 p.m.

rocket dentistry ftw

Sept. 26, 2014, 5:32 p.m.

Rocket tooth removal is the coolest thing in this thread.

:(

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Sept. 30, 2014, noon

Whoa, forgot about this thread for a while there. Thanks for all the feedback, it is helpful though the crowd is split.

UPDATE: This is the brand, though I am not finding much in the way of hard facts on the website, just marketing. http://www.torlys.com/hardwood/summit/summit-designer

Anyone have experience with Torlys stuff? I am expecting the laminate option would also be from them.

Oct. 1, 2014, 9:56 a.m.

Cork.

Oct. 1, 2014, 10:08 a.m.

nosing butt up to the skirt

lolwat?

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.