NBR Decide My Life: AWD Wagon (update: 100% more wagon in my life)

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:18 p.m.

…and mileage is only one factor. I've seen lots with 100K that I wouldn't touch. But my Safari AWD, for example, I purchased at 198K/$5500 yrs ago and you could eat off any part of it…330K now…brakes, tires, battery, idler arms, fuel pump, water pump and a starter, that's it.(motor is getting noisier than I like) I could sell it tomorrow for 2G. Win.

If a vehicle has had a gravy life…150-200K can be nothing of concern.

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:18 p.m.

Must have been operator error.

Always gotta be a douche bag eh?

My 2wd went everywhere…although I did have good snowtires

Yes I'll bet that your 2wd would have went everywhere my awd with snows went. In situations where awd is really really critical the Honda system has some glaring weaknesses. Perhaps I didn't voice that opinion clearly. If the system was different I would have bought another Honda in a heart beat.

Owning my second awd vehicle now my opinion on all awd systems has diminished. Most of the time it's all smoke and mirrors to help sell vehicles but in reality 2wd with good tires will get you there, especially if that 2wd has a limited slip diff or some electronic traction control that will mimic a limited slip diff.

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:29 p.m.

46 posts before Loopie mentioned his Safari in an AWD thread? That's gotta be a record. (I had a look at those vans. A bit too much "van" for me.)

flickr

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:33 p.m.

here:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4341691142.html

/thread.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

Suzuki SX4.

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:36 p.m.

here:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4341691142.html

/thread.

Good find.

ah hahahaha.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:37 p.m.

Thanks for confirming that feeling. I guess the Kootenay folk are either used to the looseness or just deal with it knowing they've got a capable, reliable vehicle. Subaru may be the only car where head gaskets are a maintenance item. C'est la vie.

I do think the cargo space of the Legacy/Outback is more suited to my needs than the Impreza, which is still a pretty small car even in wagon form.

As I said above, I'm willing to extend the budget for the right car. Would it be worth my while to look for a car with 100K vs. 150K?

get whatever has the best service history.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:41 p.m.

repz or it never happened.
Cool that you looked into the vans, but they're a completely different beast than a compact suv…which is why I didn't recommend one to you;)

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:43 p.m.

get whatever has the best service history.

Like my current car, a '97 Civic hatch from the original owner at 140K with every single receipt from day one. Hey, anyone want to buy a '97 Civic CX-G with every receipt from day one to 140K and a number of receipts from then until now, 160K?

flickr

Feb. 26, 2014, 5:56 p.m.

Yeah exactly

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 26, 2014, 6:52 p.m.

Always gotta be a douche bag eh?

Yes I'll bet that your 2wd would have went everywhere my awd with snows went. In situations where awd is really really critical the Honda system has some glaring weaknesses. Perhaps I didn't voice that opinion clearly. If the system was different I would have bought another Honda in a heart beat.

Owning my second awd vehicle now my opinion on all awd systems has diminished. Most of the time it's all smoke and mirrors to help sell vehicles but in reality 2wd with good tires will get you there, especially if that 2wd has a limited slip diff or some electronic traction control that will mimic a limited slip diff.

Is this where I pat you on the head and tell you I was just kidding about the operator error thing?

Cheer up, little camper. :)

Pastor of Muppets

Feb. 26, 2014, 6:55 p.m.

As mentioned above mileage isn't everything. I've seen car with half the milage of mine and they were in much worse shape.
I still think that if you wan't something AWD Subaru is probably your best bet within your budget. If anything goes wrong with the older euro awd cars your going to be in for a scare.

Personally I would consider FWD too as they can be great in snow if you have good snow tyres. As others have mentioned the VW's wagons are great. Mazda 6 wagon would be another good choice.

Feb. 26, 2014, 7:35 p.m.

OK, here comes the next installment of buy what_ I_ have (I kind of hate these threads…)…

Don't buy a Jeep Patriot or Compass (pretty much an AWD wagon as you requested). They're shit cars overmarketed as softroaders. However, the AWD system is functionally very good, if not reliable (it's not). I'd say it's the best in the cute utes if you want to go offroad.

However, our 06 Pontiac Vibe has been flawless, short of T-boning the douche who did a U-turn in front of us. 90K and not a bit of a problem. It's not AWD, but you can get it in AWD. We can fit more into the Vibe than into the Patriot. Friends of ours had 2 adult DH bikes and a kids bike, and the three riders inside theirs (it's interior was trashed though…)

Insurance just poured $9K into repairing the front end, when I was sure it was a write off for a 6 year old car. How's that for holding value?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/4299365313.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/4339160497.html

Feb. 26, 2014, 8:06 p.m.

Is this where I pat you on the head and tell you I was just kidding about the operator error thing?

Cheer up, little camper. :)

Nope just where you come off as a condescending tool as usual. Nothing new.

Feb. 26, 2014, 8:17 p.m.

Operators getting their panties in a knot as usual

Ha Ha! Made you look.