NBR Confessions

Sept. 19, 2019, 12:17 p.m.

Posted by: Madman

Posted by: Adam-West

I dont give a flying fuck about blackface

If people actually cared it wouldn't conveniently come up right before an election.

Kinda...  If the PM cared he would have brought it up before the campaign.

Sept. 19, 2019, 3:56 p.m.

Posted by: BigFoot

Posted by: FLATCH

Certainly blown out of proportion.

not really

Why not?
I'm hoping you'll support your response with something more than hyperbole.

Sept. 19, 2019, 4:19 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

not really

Why not?

I’m sorry but if someone of colour wants to paint they’re face white, put on a red wig, a kilt and kill it on some bag pipes I know I would certainly see the humour in it. The political correctness has gotten way out of hand. To me true racism has some  malicious intent. Those who are offended by this are bandwagoners or snowflakes. I know this is Canadian politics but shit like this is why the dem’s lose elections. Cut the pc bullshit.

Sept. 19, 2019, 4:43 p.m.

fyi, I was responding to bigfoot. 

I was listening to this story on the CBC this afternoon and agree that some of the reactions are overblown, especially the ones calling this extreme racism. Even calling it racism is going to far imeco. 

I'd honestly like to hear from bigfoot on why this event is egregious.

Sept. 19, 2019, 5:01 p.m.

fyi, I was responding to bigfoot. 

I knew that.🙃

Sept. 19, 2019, 5:20 p.m.

I knew that.🙃

lol -  i was debating who you were responding to too.

Sept. 19, 2019, 5:37 p.m.

first debate should be a bloody one.

Sept. 19, 2019, 5:56 p.m.

Whats egregious is the derailment of this thread !

Maybe Bigfoot is trying to confess he did that once..

Sept. 19, 2019, 6:11 p.m.

Sorry, I must confess, I feel true shame.

Sept. 20, 2019, 8:41 a.m.

not really

Why not?

I’m sorry but if someone of colour wants to paint they’re face white, put on a red wig, a kilt and kill it on some bag pipes I know I would certainly see the humour in it. The political correctness has gotten way out of hand. To me true racism has some  malicious intent. Those who are offended by this are bandwagoners or snowflakes. I know this is Canadian politics but shit like this is why the dem’s lose elections. Cut the pc bullshit.

If course you don’t mind, your people haven’t been the victim of systemic racism.

Understanding this isn’t as simple as flipping the roles - the power balance matters. When powerful people do things that are demeaning to the oppressed, it’s just more oppression. When the oppressed do things that demean the powerful, it has little effect. Hence why you wouldn’t be bothered by it. Same reason I can’t say the n word, but black people can. It means different things when it comes from different people.

Sept. 20, 2019, 8:45 a.m.

Man I know like 20 people that did this shit in highschool, aint nobody oppressing people by painting their face black

Sept. 20, 2019, 8:56 a.m.

So- those of you who say blackface isn’t wrong in 2019 - are any of you black?

Obviously many of us crackers did this as part of costumes, some of them racist, some of them just as part of a thorough costume, back in the day.  Now we know better.  The problem for Trudeau is that many of his supporters are viewing the past through 2019 eyes. His success at getting them back will depend on the strength of his apologies.

Sept. 20, 2019, 9:35 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

So- those of you who say blackface isn’t wrong in 2019 - are any of you black?

Obviously many of us crackers did this as part of costumes, some of them racist, some of them just as part of a thorough costume, back in the day.  Now we know better.  The problem for Trudeau is that many of his supporters are viewing the past through 2019 eyes. His success at getting them back will depend on the strength of his apologies.

Just a quick clarification, but not all of us are saying blackface isn't wrong. I believe some of the objections are over calling this first event racism and how strong the reaction has been in the media. That said, if you haven't seen the news yet things have changed significantly since yesterday and I would say that things have gotten a little worse for Trudeau.

Sept. 20, 2019, 9:38 a.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

Man I know like 20 people that did this shit in highschool, aint nobody oppressing people by painting their face black

I typically get behind much of what you say, but on this topic I think your attitude is a bit too cavalier and it suggests that your understanding and/or knowledge on the issue of blackface is lacking.

Sept. 20, 2019, 9:59 a.m.

I'm just looking at it from my experience as something idiots in highschool did to try to get laid or laughs or some shit. that's the key to me, it happened decades ago, Apu was still on the simpsons, surely times have changed now, so it's hardly fair to judge blackface with modern values. I think its just another distraction where they cant attack him on policy so they go after shit like this. So yeah I probably don't have the most nuanced opinion of blackface, but throwing the racist card in a situation like this seems to me like it cheapens actual racism.