NBR Computer Games Thread

May 16, 2012, 11:08 a.m.

as a person that's worked in the computer manufacturing industry: I can guarantee you that Intel desktop CPUs do not have any geographical restrictions on them, and considering the vast quantities of them that are purchased in bulk-tray OEM version (sans fancy retail box packaging and heatsink) for integration into HP, Dell, Lenovo etc desktop PCs built in mainland China, the supply of all varieties of Core i7 in mainland China is abundant.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

May 16, 2012, 12:08 p.m.

It might not yet be available where he lives.

I said "yet".

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 16, 2012, 1:27 p.m.

http://www.arma2.com/

Looks pretty cool, but the specs suggest XP or Vista…..no Win7? :(

viperfunk.com

May 16, 2012, 2:35 p.m.

So you built up a new rig to play spreadsheet simulator?

Also you coulda saved some dough by not buying a soundcard, the onboard stuff is more than enough these days

May 16, 2012, 3:19 p.m.

So you built up a new rig to play spreadsheet simulator?

Also you coulda saved some dough by not buying a soundcard, the onboard stuff is more than enough these days

Looks like more than a spreadsheet simulator…

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 16, 2012, 3:22 p.m.

Battlefield 3 [HTML_REMOVED] MW3

Preach!

May 16, 2012, 5:08 p.m.

What's wrong with my sound card?

I honestly don't know a lot about these things haha

Nothing really wrong with it per say but creative is a bit out of it when it comes to sound these days.

Does more then enough compared to that sound card, for what I use there is no way I would be using on-board sound but I am a bit of a abnormality.

May 16, 2012, 6:16 p.m.

Looks like more than a spreadsheet simulator…

I think he was referring to EVE online. :lol:

www.natooke.com

May 16, 2012, 7:25 p.m.

What do you have for a drive? If you don't have one, get an SSD for your boot and app drive and a standard hard drive for storage and backup. It's impressive to see how fast the current generation of SSDs are. Booting up a clean Windows 7 install is super quick.

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

May 16, 2012, 7:30 p.m.

What do you have for a drive? If you don't have one, get an SSD for your boot and app drive and a standard hard drive for storage and backup. It's impressive to see how fast the current generation of SSDs are. Booting up a clean Windows 7 install is super quick.

I have a 2tb standard drive right now. An SSD for the o/s is something I've been considering.

www.natooke.com

May 16, 2012, 7:47 p.m.

2TB drive is probably pretty quick. Make a boot partition that isn't too big, and put your OS, apps, and pagefile on it. Put your photos and videos and other data files on another partition. That will keep the speed up as the outside of the drive is a lot faster than the inside (circumference is larger, so more data moves by for every revolution of the disk).

- Josiah Stamp

- H.G. Wells

May 16, 2012, 8:10 p.m.

2TB drive is probably pretty quick. Make a boot partition that isn't too big, and put your OS, apps, and pagefile on it. Put your photos and videos and other data files on another partition. That will keep the speed up as the outside of the drive is a lot faster than the inside (circumference is larger, so more data moves by for every revolution of the disk).

This has already been done.

www.natooke.com

May 16, 2012, 8:12 p.m.

I said "yet".

I decided to spend less on the cpu and more on the graphics card. I could have put a better one in but I was trying to fit within a certain budget and the guy said for gaming it would be difficult to notice a difference.

Time will tell if it was the right choice and I can always upgrade it in a few months.

www.natooke.com

May 16, 2012, 8:28 p.m.

I have a 2tb standard drive right now. An SSD for the o/s is something I've been considering.

This was probably the biggest speed increase I've ever seen out of a computer build of any sort. Putting the OS on an SSD is one of the best upgrades you can do, particularly if your motherboard will support it's full speed..

May 16, 2012, 8:36 p.m.

I decided to spend less on the cpu and more on the graphics card. I could have put a better one in but I was trying to fit within a certain budget and the guy said for gaming it would be difficult to notice a difference.

Time will tell if it was the right choice and I can always upgrade it in a few months.

He's right.. unless you're transcoding video or audio, put the money in the graphics card.