My NBR Challenge - 'adopt' a homeless person

Oct. 15, 2015, 7:28 a.m.

I do this all the time and did it loads in China. Never felt a need to announce it to anyone though.

Props for doing it. Personally, i need keepin-it-real reminders like this from time to time. Gonna take marcus up on this.

Generally speaking, i think homeless do ok for clothing. They shop at sally ann for free. Food seems to be more appreciated, especially hot food in the winter.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Oct. 15, 2015, 8:34 a.m.

I met a couple of FN street people when I fixed their bikes in the blue bike program, Herb can't read duno about Lenord but he was the nicer one … any way he is dead cuz they live rough lives and they they aren't that nice to one another

there are 2 or 3 camps in smithers there is one about 400 meters from here right across the tracks

Oct. 15, 2015, 9:11 a.m.

Costco merino wool. Good quality for the price. Wash in a warm water basin with a small amount of very mild soap and a chunk of lanolin. Lanolin is a natural wax that's on sheeps wool to keep them healthy, but the more refined the wool the less of this anti bacterial agent is left.

Yes definitely merino wool. However, I was checking out the winter merino at my Costco (Langford), and it was only about 20% merino, with the rest being poly blends. That ain't going to cut it in the antibacterial department!

Oct. 15, 2015, 9:32 a.m.

Anti-bacterial clothing makes no sense. There are millions of bacteria on your skin, many of them beneficial to you. Also, bacteria regularly turn resistant in anti-bacterial environments due to natural selection, which causes even more problems. I don't think this is an issue that science can solve. A safe place where people can shower and wash up or get clean clothes is a far, far better solution.

Oct. 15, 2015, 1:32 p.m.

Anti-bacterial clothing makes no sense. There are millions of bacteria on your skin, many of them beneficial to you. Also, bacteria regularly turn resistant in anti-bacterial environments due to natural selection, which causes even more problems. I don't think this is an issue that science can solve. A safe place where people can shower and wash up or get clean clothes is a far, far better solution.

how avaialable is that solution though? Very idealistic of you.

If you can imagine me giving a bum some lycra leggings I haven't used and them not having access to toiletries, showers or laundry combined with sleeping in them and living in them, you might understand why I think anti bacterial clothing may be beneficial. And I assume the bodies good bacteria requires sanitiary conditions and proper diet.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Oct. 15, 2015, 2:25 p.m.

It's about the weave and the threads. Synthetics are basically tubes of plastic and nasty human bits wedge in there, rot, and stink. Any natural fibre, even cotton, will work better than something synthetic.

I'd suggest a onesie from Mark's.

Oct. 15, 2015, 2:25 p.m.

I used to hire a "binner" named Chubba to labour for me occasionally. Labouring for a mason is a bloody tough job!. He was homeless but loved life, Had a thousand interesting stories.
I like positive threads like this one . Thank you.
BTW if you added up all the recycled goods binners fish out of the trash they would probably win the contest for greatest amount of recycling from one group of people. Must be tonnes of recycled goods each month just in the lower mainland.

common sense…..Whats common about sense?!

Oct. 15, 2015, 3:32 p.m.

how avaialable is that solution though? Very idealistic of you.

More available than anti-bacterial clothing. The stuff with chemicals and nanoparticles in it is marketing and doesn't work. Look it up. The answer isn't rocket science, its giving people some of the basics that the rest of us take for granted so that can live their lives with dignity.

Oct. 16, 2015, 1:33 p.m.

More available than anti-bacterial clothing. The stuff with chemicals and nanoparticles in it is marketing and doesn't work. Look it up. The answer isn't rocket science, its giving people some of the basics that the rest of us take for granted so that can live their lives with dignity.

I know you and I seem to be polar opposites on everything or I could even throw in the pulp fiction line that we're not evening playing the same game but quit holding out and post up shelters where the homeless can shower and do laundry for free or for services rendered. I'll make sure the two guys I have in mind find out where to go.

I'm not interested in the science behind clothing. It was simply something I've been given in the past that worked for me and I figured it'd help who I'm trying to, plain and fucking simple yo.

As smart as you are, you're a fucking douche. Quit fucking up this thread and go help someone, get some perspective. Something.

IOW Duncan - if you're not going to help, please dont post in this thread.

Oct. 16, 2015, 1:36 p.m.

I carry Subway gift cards loaded with $10 that I'll give to people if they ask me for money for food.

$10 will buy them a sandwich [HTML_REMOVED] coffee, and there are Subway stores everywhere.

This is something I plan to incorporate and carry as late night food will ensure a better sleep, wherever they may lay their head down.

Oct. 16, 2015, 7:56 p.m.

I carry Subway gift cards loaded with $10 that I'll give to people if they ask me for money for food..

Wow, impressive. (No sarcasm).

Oct. 16, 2015, 11:13 p.m.

IOW Duncan - if you're not going to help, please dont post in this thread.

Dude … don't take it so personally, but I'm pointing out that "bacterial resistant clothing" isn't going to make the issue go away …

Oct. 17, 2015, 6:45 a.m.

I'd like to help the homeless, but I don't know where they live!

all kidding aside - I often buy lunches for people that look like they need it. I prefer to ask them before they ask me and the true appreciation is warming.

Oct. 18, 2015, 1:27 p.m.

Dude … don't take it so personally, but I'm pointing out that "bacterial resistant clothing" isn't going to make the issue go away …

And how obvious is that though (homelessness going away through clothing..)?

It was more expecting you and your fine technicalities or nit picking. That and I just assume almost everyones trolling me or insulting me now so why should anyone take it personally ;)

Oct. 18, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

Hai guys. Haven't had a home in 14 months..would love to be adopted by someone with a beach and warm sand property??

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca