music - full album awesomeness

Nov. 8, 2013, 1:01 p.m.

i know there's a thread or two kicking around for good music/bands, but what do you guys have for full albums that are great pretty much from start to finish? there're lots of albums by artists that have a couple good tracks and the rest is filler, but what are those rare gems where every tune is good to great?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 8, 2013, 1:18 p.m.

Oh man … so many.

- Probably most of Rush's pre-1985 albums
- Supertramp - crime of the century
- Pink Floyd - the wall
- Tom Waits - bad as me, and a bunch other Tom Waits goldness
- Johnny Cash - the man comes around
- Mumford [HTML_REMOVED] Sons - Sigh no more (might be a song there that's a miss, but otherwise rocking good)
- Just about any Hip disc
- Radiohead - amnesiac, probably kid a too.
- Green Day - dookie

Meh, I have to get to work.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 8, 2013, 1:23 p.m.

Tool - Lateralus
Glenn Gould - A State of Wonder: The Complete Goldberg Variations 1955 [HTML_REMOVED] 1981

Nov. 8, 2013, 1:24 p.m.

i guess a question worth asking too is whether the environment will make a difference, like saying listening at home while doing chores etc vs hitting the road to go ride bikes in whis. there's albums i can chill out to happily at home but would be hittin the eject button in other situations.

work? what's that?

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 8, 2013, 2 p.m.

Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique [HTML_REMOVED] Check your Head

viperfunk.com

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:24 p.m.

i guess a question worth asking too is whether the environment will make a difference, like saying listening at home while doing chores etc vs hitting the road to go ride bikes in whis. there's albums i can chill out to happily at home but would be hittin the eject button in other situations.

work? what's that?

Might be helpful to know what sort of music you like.

I've really been enjoying the new Arcade Fire album, much more so than the last two. If you like electronic music, the new John Hopkins album is good. If you like a bit of blues, the new Jason Isbell album is good. If you are more of a metal guy, Sunbather by Deafhaven might be the best metal album I have heard (take this with a pinch of salt, I don't listen to a ton of metal). If you like a bit of Punk Rock, the Cloud Nothings No Future/No Past is great.

I generally end up listening for longer periods with the music on in the background so I don't really last with albums if they only have a few good songs on them. Environment totally makes a difference to me. Things I like listening to in the car drive me crazy at home or in the office.

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:27 p.m.

It's pretty old school but Blaze Foley - Live at the Austin Outhouse is pretty f*cking rad.

Blaze was a pretty under-appreciated musician and was gunned down in a drunken porch fight in 1989.

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:27 p.m.

Oh man … so many.

- Pink Floyd - the Final Cut
Kn.

fixed.

Especially on Rememberance Day

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:39 p.m.

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison
Neil Young - On the Beach

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:44 p.m.

Might be helpful to know what sort of music you like.

I've really been enjoying the new Arcade Fire album, much more so than the last two. If you like electronic music, the new John Hopkins album is good. If you like a bit of blues, the new Jason Isbell album is good. If you are more of a metal guy, Sunbather by Deafhaven might be the best metal album I have heard (take this with a pinch of salt, I don't listen to a ton of metal). If you like a bit of Punk Rock, the Cloud Nothings No Future/No Past is great.

I generally end up listening for longer periods with the music on in the background so I don't really last with albums if they only have a few good songs on them. Environment totally makes a difference to me. Things I like listening to in the car drive me crazy at home or in the office.

what i like? everything but country. some genres i can only handle so much of though, say metal for example. more of a metal "light" type of person but even then only in bits and pieces so doubt i'd take in an entire album. nickelback is teh awesomes though.

a few of my favs would be dusk and soul mining by the the, violator by dpm, treehouse by grapes of wrath.

Ellen Langer

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:52 p.m.

nickelback is teh awesomes though.

Maybe some Grunge then. Hard to walk away from any of these…

Nirvana - Nevermind/With the Lights Out (heavy on disc 3)
Alice In Chains - Dirt/Unplugged
Pearl Jam - Ten/Vs
Soundgarden - Badmotofinger
Mad Season - Above

Nov. 8, 2013, 2:59 p.m.

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison

queued up on the 'tube after the Final Cut finishes. I gotta admit I don't know it.

Nov. 8, 2013, 3:19 p.m.

Music is so subjective, one mans gold is another's garbage. My tastes have changed over the years, but these would be some of the most immediately accessible and enjoyable.

Rock:

Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine
The Black Keys - Magic Potion
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
The Walkmen - Heaven

Easy(er) listening:

The National - Boxer
Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
Bon Iver - either of his two LPs

Other:

M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming (22 track double album, there's one or two tracks that bug me but otherwise plays through really well.)
SBTRKT - SBTRKT
Dzihan [HTML_REMOVED] Kamien - Gran Riserva
Budos Band - Any album, take your pick…
Outkast - ATLiens

Nov. 8, 2013, 3:51 p.m.

queued up on the 'tube after the Final Cut finishes. I gotta admit I don't know it.

That and Live at San Quentin are great albums.

Nov. 8, 2013, 3:52 p.m.

Music is so subjective, one mans gold is another's garbage. My tastes have changed over the years, but these would be some of the most immediately accessible and enjoyable.

Rock:

Japandroids - Celebration Rock
Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine
The Black Keys - Magic Potion
TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
The Walkmen - Heaven

Easy(er) listening:

The National - Boxer
Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
Bon Iver - either of his two LPs

Other:

M83 - Hurry Up We're Dreaming (22 track double album, there's one or two tracks that bug me but otherwise plays through really well.)
SBTRKT - SBTRKT
Dzihan [HTML_REMOVED] Kamien - Gran Riserva
Budos Band - Any album, take your pick…
Outkast - ATLiens

Some great choices.