Municipal Elections 2015

Nov. 18, 2014, 2:30 p.m.

just want to point out how your voting record doesn't reflect how the real world impacts you.

The clean water in your tap, the road through your town, the sewage treatment plant that takes care of your poo - that's local government.

Local government effects your day to day life more than any other level of government in the country.

That downtown development you like / don't like? Local government

Cultural events getting street closures / making your town more interesting? Local government

The other levels of government effect your life day to day in far less ways.

Provincial = healthcare / PST / some vehicle / insurance issues

Federal = GST / income tax

Voting locally has so much more impact!

This is true, but the problem with municipal elections is that they don't get all that much press and unless there is a big local issue to divide the candidates they all can sound the same. It is hard to get people excited about it when most don't see any of their faces until election time.

I have only lived in Squamish for a year and a half so I went through the local rags to bone up on the candidates before the election and they all said the exact same shit. The only big issue that was discussed a lot was their view on the LNG plant and they don't have any real impact on that decision anyway. In the end that is how Heintzman won the mayoral race. I just hope she doesn't waste much time on it.

Nov. 18, 2014, 2:39 p.m.

This is true, but the problem with municipal elections is that they don't get all that much press and unless there is a big local issue to divide the candidates they all can sound the same. It is hard to get people excited about it when most don't see any of their faces until election time.

I have only lived in Squamish for a year and a half so I went through the local rags to bone up on the candidates before the election and they all said the exact same shit. The only big issue that was discussed a lot was their view on the LNG plant and they don't have any real impact on that decision anyway. In the end that is how Heintzman won the mayoral race. I just hope she doesn't waste much time on it.

Oh look, you're a fat 29er tire!

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 18, 2014, 5:06 p.m.

"Kitimat
Councillor Phil Germuth was elected mayor. Germuth received 1,828 votes compared to 530 for Trish Parsons and 447 for Joanne Monaghan"

Duno if there were other factors but Joanne Monaghan chose to stay neutral on the pipeline thing and lost BIG time to Phil Germuth who is opposed, I think the green factor played a part in this election

one of our highest polling councilors works the produce dept at safeway, sez he just talks to people who buy vegtables and that how he votes on the issues in council… even if he personaly doesn't agree

Nov. 18, 2014, 7:13 p.m.

one of our highest polling councilors works the produce dept at safeway, sez he just talks to people who buy vegtables and that how he votes on the issues in council… even if he personaly doesn't agree

4-term mayor of the City of N Vancouver is a BC Ambulance Services paramedic … he oversees a $285 million budget for a city of 60,000.

Nov. 18, 2014, 7:41 p.m.

well the point was that buddy listens to the people he talks to in produce and represents them by voting accordingly in spite of his personal opinion, he wasn't really too impressed with bike racks or bike lanes but he helped make it happen and now admits they are a good idea

I doubt buddy ambulance attendant is asking someone laying on a gurney how they feel about bike racks and bike lanes?

Nov. 19, 2014, 7:05 a.m.

This guy makes a good case for real reasons for public "apathy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuHNVYW4tW0

I doubt buddy ambulance attendant is asking someone laying on a gurney how they feel about bike racks and bike lanes?

He does … while standing on his head, while drinking a gallon of beer, juggling chainsaws all after lighting himself on fire.

Nov. 19, 2014, 10:49 a.m.

"Kitimat
Councillor Phil Germuth was elected mayor. Germuth received 1,828 votes compared to 530 for Trish Parsons and 447 for Joanne Monaghan"

Duno if there were other factors but Joanne Monaghan chose to stay neutral on the pipeline thing and lost BIG time to Phil Germuth who is opposed, I think the green factor played a part in this election

http://ht.ly/EvntW

There Apears to be a correlation between an anti-pipeline stance and getting elected

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=10393050

And while kermit's lament may have been the case at the time … its getting easier to be green

Nov. 19, 2014, 12:14 p.m.

This guy makes a good case for real reasons for public "apathy"

He made some very good observations.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 19, 2014, 12:17 p.m.

I have had my daily life impacted quite significantly by the changes made in Vancouver under Gregor's hand (and most of them good things) so I definitely consider voting to be extremely important to me. If you really don't want to have any say in matters then I guess that's fine, but to not vote because you don't like the system is just dumb. Using no system is not better than using a flawed system. I feel like municipal government has much more effect on my life than provincial and federal governments (good thing too, since the ones in power are the ones I'd never vote for)

Nov. 19, 2014, 3:27 p.m.

Well, I didn't vote as I live in CNV but the border to DNV starts at the next block (literally) and what happens in DNV has more impact on my life (ie traffic, bike lanes and development etc)