Municipal Elections 2015

Nov. 17, 2014, 10:03 p.m.

Private sector offers far too much for a quality candidate to get involved in politics.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 17, 2014, 10:10 p.m.

Private sector offers far too much for a quality candidate to get involved in politics.

imo, people get into politics because they want to make a difference and improve our lives.

"Thus, although a healthy dose of cynicism about the motivations of our elected leaders remains a wise position, all is not lost and a significant fraction of those who win government are interested in the policies they produce."

https://faculty-gsb.stanford.edu/callander/documents/Callander_REStud2008.pdf

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Nov. 18, 2014, 7:02 a.m.

tungsten , i just don't see it . . . how would no voters elect a high quality candidate ?

like , if faith in the system had eroded to the point where no one was voting , what type of person would be running for any office ?

Nov. 18, 2014, 9:02 a.m.

listening today on the radio , one commentator was impressed by a 42% turnout in vancouver . that's not even half of the eligible voters deciding who leads us , and if the trend continues it will be even less .

Scary thing about that is this is the first year I can ever recall having to stand in line for about 40 minutes just to get in to the polling booth, let alone cast my ballot for up to 27 people… Doing the advanced voting next year for sure.

Seriously, if there were anywhere near 100% voter turnout, they'd have to more than double the amount of voting areas. As it was I saw a lot of people look at the line, look at their breath in the air, and just walk away. What do you have to do that's more important than your civic duty?

Ride, don't slide.

Nov. 18, 2014, 9:31 a.m.

I always do the advance poll its open 8-8 and no line up

maybe the low turnout is cuz people are Happy?

Nov. 18, 2014, 9:52 a.m.

I always do the advance poll its open 8-8 and no line up

maybe the low turnout is cuz people are Happy?

They are "Hapethetic" (which is Greek for "Lazy Motherfucker"). I wonder if more people would vote if they could also vote binding referendum decisions on the ballot (requiring a minimum quorum of participation to pass)? Voting once every 4 years for this or that sock puppet is NOT democracy. (Technically, you are just voting candidates for representative assembly, NOT for or against legislation or policies).

Nov. 18, 2014, 10:06 a.m.

They are "Hapethetic" (which is Greek for "Lazy Motherfucker"). I wonder if more people would vote if they could also vote binding referendum decisions on the ballot (requiring a minimum quorum of participation to pass)? Voting once every 4 years for this or that sock puppet is NOT democracy. (Technically, you are just voting candidates for representative assembly, NOT for or against legislation or policies).

I agree with this.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Nov. 18, 2014, 11:37 a.m.

I think Bill Maher sums it up for me. There is no real reason to not vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlHUgQODQNU

Nov. 18, 2014, 12:05 p.m.

^:lol: I don't get that British clown
I didn't vote last week. Im not sure I've voted in any civic election before. Im pretty indifferent to the local issues. Had I lived in Sechelt, I would've gone to vote Henderson out of office!

I do vote, and have voted in every Federal and Provincial election I've been eligible for though.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

Nov. 18, 2014, 1:19 p.m.

I have been involved putting up signs in 2 campaigns to elect the mayor and I write checks to the MP [HTML_REMOVED] MLA I vote for

Nov. 18, 2014, 1:33 p.m.

What British clown?

The Whistler Mayoral race was pretty hilarious. Doesn't Shane Bennett run in every election? What was his platform, free prostate exams?

Nov. 18, 2014, 1:39 p.m.

I didn't vote last week. Im not sure I've voted in any civic election before. Im pretty indifferent to the local issues. Had I lived in Sechelt, I would've gone to vote Henderson out of office!

I do vote, and have voted in every Federal and Provincial election I've been eligible for though.

just want to point out how your voting record doesn't reflect how the real world impacts you.

The clean water in your tap, the road through your town, the sewage treatment plant that takes care of your poo - that's local government.

Local government effects your day to day life more than any other level of government in the country.

That downtown development you like / don't like? Local government

Cultural events getting street closures / making your town more interesting? Local government

The other levels of government effect your life day to day in far less ways.

Provincial = healthcare / PST / some vehicle / insurance issues

Federal = GST / income tax

Voting locally has so much more impact!

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 18, 2014, 1:47 p.m.

That downtown development you like / don't like? Local government

cough Quoted for local hilarity cough

Nov. 18, 2014, 1:48 p.m.

I have been involved putting up signs in 2 campaigns to elect the mayor and I write checks to the MP [HTML_REMOVED] MLA I vote for

Do you want a banana?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 18, 2014, 2:09 p.m.

you have it … put it somewhere good