Municipal Elections 2015

Nov. 15, 2014, 6:31 p.m.

Voted!

Be bold, vote Bond!

1.5 hrs to go!

Nov. 15, 2014, 10:50 p.m.

He's in! Congrats!

http://mtbtrails.ca/ Author of Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides and Locals' Guide to Fraser Valley Rides.

Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Nov. 15, 2014, 11:31 p.m.

Congrats to Matthew Bond!

http://www.dnv.org/election/results.asp?ElectionID=8

Nov. 16, 2014, 2:57 a.m.

Mayoral results:
Surrey
Linda Hepner roared to victory Saturday night. Hepner, who was handpicked by outgoing mayor Dianne Watts to succeed her on the Surrey First slate, easily out-distanced challengers Doug McCallum (Safe Surrey Coalition) and Barinder Rasode (One Surrey). Hepner collected 43,109 votes compared to 23,091 for McCallum and 18,198 for Rasode.
Vancouver
Gregor Robertson has earned a third term as mayor of Vancouver. In what was a sometimes nasty campaign between Robertson of the Vision Vancouver slate and Non-Partisan Association candidate Kirk LaPointe, the incumbent came away the clear winner on election night by garnering 83,281 votes compared to LaPointe's 72,955 (as of 11:15 p.m.).
Victoria
Councillor Lisa Helps defeated incumbent Dean Fortins by a narrow margin (9,200 votes to 9,111 votes) to win the mayor's race in Victoria. Former B.C. cabinet minister Ida Chong was a distant third with 3,275 votes.
Abbotsford
Councillor Henry Braun has won a tight election over incumbent Bruce Banman for Abbotsford mayor. Braun received 16,171 votes compared to 15,594 for Branman.
Langley
Incumbent Ted Schaffer has been re-elected in the city of Langley.
Schaffer has served 21 years on Langley council. He's been acting mayor since May, 2013, when he replaced current MLA Peter Fassbender, who left for the provincial stage.
Langley (Township)
Incumbent Jack Froese has been re-elected in the Township of Langley. Froese collected 13,186 votes compared to 7,595 for Rick Green and 1,255 for Serena Oh.
Coquitlam
Incumbent mayor Richard Stewart easily held off challengers Lou Sekora and Mark Mahovlich to retain mayor's chair in the City of Coquitlam.
Stewart received nearly 70 per cent of the popular vote. He collected 15,002 votes to Sekora's 5,705 and Mahovlich's 859.
Port Moody
Mike Clay won a second term as mayor of Port Moody. Clay captured 55 per cent of the popular vote, 4,261 votes over Royer's 3,450, about 45 per cent of the vote.
Pitt Meadows
John Becker elected mayor of Pitt Meadows with 2,114 votes.
New Westminster
Three-term councillor Jonathan X. Cote defeated incumbent mayor Wayne Wright in New Westminster. Cote collected 7,661 votes to Wright's 5,149.
Whistler
Incumbent Nancy Wilhelm-Morden, who was elected Whistler's first female mayor in 2011, received an overwhelming mandate from Whistler voters on Saturday. She received 2,083 to challenger Shane Bennett's 162 votes.
Squamish
Councillor Patricia Heintzman topped incumbent mayor Rob Kirkham by nearly 300 votes (2,900 to 2,611).
Gibsons
Wayne Rowe was re-elected mayor of Gibson on Saturday, scoring a victory over Suzanne Senger — 1,419 votes to 807.
Sechelt
New mayor Bruce Milne defeated incumbent John Henderson, 2,335 votes to 1,349.
Kitimat
Councillor Phil Germuth was elected mayor. Germuth received 1,828 votes compared to 530 for Trish Parsons and 447 for Joanne Monaghan.
North Vancouver
Darrell Mussatto won a fourth term in North Vancouver. The incumbent scored 52 per cent of the vote, compared to 44 per cent for challenger Kerry Morris.
Burnaby
Mayor Derek Corrigan (28,113) earned a fifth consecutive term in office beating Daren Hancott (8,848) and Helen Hee Soon Chan (1,845).
Chilliwack
Sharon Gaetz was elected to a third term as mayor of Chilliwack. She garnered 10,183 votes to beat challengers Cameron Hull (2,731) and Raymond Cauchi (1,066).
Hope
Former mayor Wilfried Vicktor is back in office. Vicktor received 913 votes compared to the 556 earned by top challenger Lloyd Forman.
Maple Ridge
Maple Ridge has a new mayor as challenger Nicole Read won a three-candidate race for mayor. Read received 33.82 per cent of the vote, beating out challenger Mike Morden (28.95 per cent) and incumbent Ernie Daykin (23.75 per cent).
White Rock
Wayne Baldwin has been re-elected mayor of White Rock. Baldwin defeated challenger David Bradshaw, 3,225 votes to 1,640.
Anmore
John McEwen has graduated from councillor to mayor in Anmore. McEwen beat incumbent mayor Heather Anderson 442-335 votes.
Belcarra
Ralph Drew has been re-elected mayor of Belcarra, a title he's held since 1984. Drew beat Michael Robson Saturday night 183 votes to 138.
Richmond
Incumbent mayor Malcolm Brodie swept to a sixth term Saturday. Voter turnout was approximately 32.4 per cent, with 40,245 ballots cast. 2011 voter turnout was 23.4 per cent.
Mission
Former MLA Randy Hawes has been elected mayor in Mission. Hawes received 3,068 votes compared to 2,236 for challenger Rony Luck and 1,840 for the defeated incumbent Ted Adlem.
Nanaimo
City councillor Bill McKay won the mayor's race in Nanaimo. McKay received 6,400 votes, beating out challengers Bill Holdom (4,265), Roger McKinnon (3,381) and incumbent John Ruttan (3,212).
Port Coquitlam
Greg Moore was re-elected in Port Coquitlam. The incumbent collected 8,632 votes, compared to 1,069 for challenger Eric Hirvonen.
Penticton
Councillor Andrew Jakubeit is the new mayor of Penticton after beating longtime councillor John Vassilaki — 5,126 votes to 3,012 — in Saturday's election.
Summerland
New mayor Peter Waterman (1,191) scored a narrow win over Roch Fortin (1,197).
Salmon Arm
Incumbent Nancy Cooper (2,343 votes) defeated challenger — and former two-term mayor — Marty Bootsma (1,088) on Saturday.
Kelowna
Former TV reporter Colin Basran is the new mayor of Kelowna. Basran (16,755 votes) defeated Sharon Shepherd (10,358).
West Kelowna
Doug Findlater has been re-elected mayor of the District of West Kelowna. Findlater beat challenger Stephen Johnson by nearly 900 votes (3,600 to 2,750).
Vernon
Political neophyte Akbal Mund is the new mayor of Vernon. Mund, who succeeds outgoing mayor Rob Sawatzky, received 3,714 votes to beat top challengers Victoria Cumming (3,080) and Mary-Jo O'Keefe (1,312).
Kamloops
Peter Milobar won a landslide victory in the Kamloops' mayor's race. The incumbent received 17,006 votes, ahead of challengers Pierre Filisetti (2,941), Ben James (1,040) and Dallas Paisley (786).
Esquimalt
Barb Desjardins has been re-elected mayor of Esquimalt. She received 3,180 votes compared to challenger John Duck, who pulled in 962 votes.
Central Saanich
Ryan Windsor in the new mayor of Central Saanich. Windsor received 2,998 vote, compared with incumbent Jack Mar's total of 1,955.
Saanich
Richard Atwell is the new mayor of Saanich, defeating incumbent Frank Leonard 14,178 votes to 13,152.
Sooke
Councillor Tait Maja beat out Herb Haldane, 2,527 votes to 1,263, to become the new mayor of Sooke.
Colwood
Incumbent Carol Hamilton was a runaway winner again in Colwood. Hamilton (2,369 votes) easily defeated Robin Stanbridge (259) and David Shebib (94).
Campbell River
Nine-term councillor Andy Adams edged incumbent Walter Jakeway 4,370 votes to 4,249 votes to wrestle away the mayor's seat in Campbell River.
Courtenay
Larry Jangula has been named mayor again in Courtenay. Jangula (3,483 votes) beat two-term councillor Jon Ambler (2,502).
Duncan
Phil Kent has retained the mayor's chair in Duncan, defeating challenger Peter Gordon 845 votes to 256 votes.
North Cowichan
Up the road from Duncan, Jon Lefebure was re-elected mayor of North Cowichan He defeated councillor John Koury 3,234 votes to 3,018.
Parksville
Longtime councillor Marc Lefebvre is the new mayor of Parksville. Lefebvre beat out fellow councillor Bill Neufeld (1,983 votes to 1,072).
Cranbrook
Lee Pratt knocked out incumbent Cranbrook mayor Wayne Stetski — 3,396 votes to 2,192 votes.
Trail
Political newcomer Mike Martin easily claimed the mayor's seat in Trail by out-distancing top challenger Doug Jones by more than 800 votes (1,725 to 891).
Nelson
Longtime councillor Deb Kozak defeated incumbent John Dooley — 1,756 votes to 1,475 — to become Nelson's first female mayor.
Prince George
Councillor Lyn Hall won the mayor's seat Saturday by beating opponent Don Zurowski — 10,463 votes to 8,850.
Williams Lake
Former Cariboo South MLA Walt Cobb, who served as mayor of Williams Lake from 1990-1996, was elected mayor again on Saturday. Cobb scored a narrow win over Surinderpal Rathor, 1334 votes to 1,219.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Schaffer+elected+Langley+mayor/10385592/story.html#ixzz3JEBtY8IH

WTF, Over?

Nov. 16, 2014, 10:22 a.m.

Some pretty low voter turnouts.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Nov. 16, 2014, 11:57 a.m.

Kind of pathetic really. Some people in the world would give anything to be able to vote in a proper democratic election. Next time I hear some ding complaining about something governmental, I'll ask who they voted for. If they did not vote I will tell them to shut the fuck up.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

Nov. 16, 2014, 12:40 p.m.

Kind of pathetic really. Some people in the world would give anything to be able to vote in a proper democratic election. Next time I hear some ding complaining about something governmental, I'll ask who they voted for. If they did not vote I will tell them to shut the fuck up.

THIS!

Nov. 16, 2014, 6:36 p.m.

A lot of incumbent mayors re-elected too (I'd say about 90%). I guess people are happy with the job mayors are doing!

Nov. 16, 2014, 7:25 p.m.

A lot of incumbent mayors re-elected too (I'd say about 90%). I guess people are happy with the job mayors are doing!

Our incumbent mayor won because of a nasty side show (google Friends of Maple Pool) and the fact that the challenger decided the day before nominations closed that he would run. His decision to run was solely based on the fact that incumbent was going to get acclaimed. So - no plan - not much of a strategy - not a lot of resources…

At the end of the day, the council that was elected won't do what the mayor wants, and he will spend another 4 years not getting his way and being completely ineffective as he is a total fool. 36% voter turnout (up from 28%!) doesn't help much either…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Nov. 16, 2014, 7:56 p.m.

Its my understanding the mayor's race IS the big draw so if the mayor is returned by acclamation not as many voters turn out

In the Smither vs Tofino most improved voter turnout race the Smithers incumbent Taylor Bacrach had a bet with Josie Osbourne the incumbent mayor of Tofino that Smithers would have the most improved voter turnout

Possibly with the use of social media by TB Smithers sucked [HTML_REMOVED] Tofino SO mayor Josie Osbourne of Tofino is having to come up with a song/performance extoling the virtues of Smithers … should go viral eh?

3yrs ago TB declared with 15min. to go before the 4pm deadline, when it got around that he declared people came out of the woodwork offering to help, Taylor figures he had an election machine of 50+ people who wanted to get rid of the right wing/old boys who argued alot and ever got anything done, he won handily did a great job so 3 yrs later nobody want to go up against him and the council is middle or left, in the local rag somebody recently lamented in a letter to editor or editorial rant … where have all the "right" minded people gone?

Nov. 16, 2014, 8:14 p.m.

voter turnout in whistler : 27 % . . . that's fucking pathetic . sure , maybe there ain't a whole lot at stake here , but if you don't play along , you have no right to bitch when things don't go the way you want .

i consider voting a responsibility , in any election . as the 'fart stated , there are people around the world who would ( and do ) die for what we have .

what kind of turnout do they get in australia , where voting is mandatory ?

Nov. 16, 2014, 8:31 p.m.

^^ Patrol… the truth never lies, like a politician. No one gives a fuck anymore, it's the same lies over and over and over, guaranteed. It's truly a waste of your valuable time to go and vote… see you on the mountain bro :)

Nov. 16, 2014, 8:47 p.m.

^^ Patrol… the truth never lies, like a politician. No one gives a fuck anymore, it's the same lies over and over and over, guaranteed. It's truly a waste of your valuable time to go and vote… see you on the mountain bro :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxsQ7jJJcEA

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 17, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

k , i watched the carlin vid . . . got a few laughs , gotta agree with a lot of what he says .

problem i have though ; if everyone did what he says , how do we get our leaders ?

listening today on the radio , one commentator was impressed by a 42% turnout in vancouver . that's not even half of the eligible voters deciding who leads us , and if the trend continues it will be even less .

and to expand on one of georges' points , do you think we might have higher caliber candidates if we had more voter involvement , like say as close to 100% as possible ?

Nov. 17, 2014, 9:37 p.m.

do you think we might have higher caliber candidates if we had more voter involvement , like say as close to 100% as possible ?

Or vice versa?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.