Mt Seymour Lower Gate

Dec. 30, 2014, 12:10 p.m.

you sure? from what i can see it's the parks operator that does it which is not seymour. the parks operator is a contractor hired by bc parks.

Which is Mt seymour resorts.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 30, 2014, 12:15 p.m.

Which is Mt seymour resorts.

the park operator is sea to sky park services which is not the same as mt seymour resorts.

"Mt. Seymour Resorts Ltd. operates skiing, snowshoeing, tubing and tobogganing within a Controlled Recreation Area (CRA) in Mount Seymour Provincial Park under a park use permit."

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 30, 2014, 12:21 p.m.

I was always under the impression that the ski hill took over for parks in the winter.

Parks took it back over in the spring.

Same deal for cypress.

Dec. 30, 2014, 1:18 p.m.

the park operator is sea to sky park services which is not the same as mt seymour resorts.

"Mt. Seymour Resorts Ltd. operates skiing, snowshoeing, tubing and tobogganing within a Controlled Recreation Area (CRA) in Mount Seymour Provincial Park under a park use permit."

Same ownership/company. Honest.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 30, 2014, 1:26 p.m.

Same ownership/company. Honest.

ok - but they don't "control" the road. the park is a public resources and the company simply enforces the regulations as set out by bc parks. the company doesn't get to decide the use of the park, the government does.

hence, get bc parks to change the regulations or at least make allowances for early morning use of parks in urban areas.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 30, 2014, 1:39 p.m.

plows are MSR no? My understanding is that MSR controls the ski area, road, and parking lots during their winter tenure. Same reason why they say you can't park in the main lot and ski down the groomers if you're skinning up (ie not buying a lift ticket). Maybe they BC Parks will clarify this.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

Dec. 30, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

ok - but they don't "control" the road. the park is a public resources and the company simply enforces the regulations as set out by bc parks. the company doesn't get to decide the use of the park, the government does.

hence, get bc parks to change the regulations or at least make allowances for early morning use of parks in urban areas.

…and the security of the park is part of the contract,as it is for all facility operators. same goes for Cypress.

Fight the power.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 30, 2014, 4:31 p.m.

…and the security of the park is part of the contract,as it is for all facility operators. same goes for Cypress.

Fight the power.

all i'm saying is that the reasons laid out for the gate closure on bc parks website don't really make sense for cyps and seymour - the road doesn't go through any campgrounds. the park is also not closed to people at night, so why should people be deprived vehicular of access if they want to make use of the park in early morning hours for example?

i understand that security of the park is an issue, so simply monitor/record those who enter the park during certain hours by keeping track of license plate and driver's license numbers or other forms of identification.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 30, 2014, 5:37 p.m.

all i'm saying is that the reasons laid out for the gate closure on bc parks website don't really make sense for cyps and seymour - the road doesn't go through any campgrounds. the park is also not closed to people at night, so why should people be deprived vehicular of access if they want to make use of the park in early morning hours for example?

i understand that security of the park is an issue, so simply monitor/record those who enter the park during certain hours by keeping track of license plate and driver's license numbers or other forms of identification.

You can park at old buck and ride up the trails. Otherwise,good luck with your quest.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 30, 2014, 6:07 p.m.

I emailed BC Parks about this last year or the year before, I'll have to dig into my work email tomorrow from the office to get the response.

BC Parks hands over control of the roads to ski hill in the winter. Ski hill says they close the road for snow removal work and do not want the public getting run over while clearing the road and parking lots.

BC Parks accepts that and don't really care about our access pre 7am.

Dec. 30, 2014, 6:14 p.m.

I emailed BC Parks about this last year or the year before, I'll have to dig into my work email tomorrow from the office to get the response.

BC Parks hands over control of the roads to ski hill in the winter. Ski hill says they close the road for snow removal work and do not want the public getting run over while clearing the road and parking lots.

BC Parks accepts that and don't really care about our access pre 7am.

you just ruined christmas.

Ellen Langer

Dec. 30, 2014, 6:31 p.m.

BC Parks are not a progressive organization.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 31, 2014, 11:51 a.m.

you just ruined christmas.

I try to do my part as a good atheist.

Here is the response I got back in 2011.

Brian,

I was recently forwarded your email inquiry regarding access to Cypress PP. Thanks for your question, and I think it is great that the staff of local outdoor retailers and manufacturers are taking advantage of the “playground” available to us on the North Shore. Regarding your question about early access to Cypress PP; BC Parks allows Cypress Bowl Resort to close Cypress Bowl Road so that their staff can safely clear the road of snow. It is not uncommon for snow clearing efforts to continue through the night until the road opens at 7:00 am. The closures are required as heavy equipment is put on the roads during the closure period. An example of this would be the use of very large articulating loaders that are used to scoop snow from the shoulder of the road that plow trucks can’t clear. These loaders require the entire width of the road (3 lanes) to operate. Public vehicles cannot be allowed on the road during periods when they are in operation.

I put a call in to the roads manager at Cypress Bowl Resorts to confirm that this is still the case. I was informed that they continue to feel it is unsafe to allow access to the road while their heavy equipment is working.

Hopefully this answers your question. Sincerely,

Dec. 31, 2014, 4:51 p.m.

I was always under the impression that the ski hill took over for parks in the winter.

Parks took it back over in the spring.

Same deal for cypress.

Was riding with someone who lost their car keys riding lower Seymour trails (off of Old Buck) about a year ago. They were found by someone and ended up at Guest Services at Mt Seymour Ski Resort. So, yes, I can believe that MSSR takes over the role of BC Parks in the winter.

I suspect it has to do with people racing, drag racing, doing burnouts and donuts on the road and parking lots after hours. Have never witnessed this first hand, but I have seen the remains of some pretty funky tire marks on the roads and parking lots up there during the daytime. It would explain why you can do whatever you want up there after daylight so long as you don't to it in a vehicle.