Mt Everest

May 27, 2012, 8:41 a.m.

In an email to CBC News, Klorfine said the family will cover the cost of his wife’s repatriation. He said the family plans to have a funeral service in Shah’s birthplace of Kathmandu, Nepal.

Her body will then be cremated and repatriated to Canada. A memorial service will be held for her in Toronto, Klorfine said.

its cheaper to ship ashes

I supose if you got the $$$ you can buy your way up Everest, a couple of hundred people at 100,000$ per is a lot of money coming into the country, they could shut down climbing anytime they want BUT its good for the economy

Hearing about someone climbing Everest now has lost the cachet … not like the old days

May 27, 2012, 11:19 a.m.

bummer about this woman dying on everest , and i'm glad she won't be a financial burden to canadians .

if i could talk to this womans' parents , i'd try to convince them to leave her remains on the mountain .

she is born in katmandu , she comes to canada to make a life . manages to scrape together the money for the trip , has the energy to prepare herself to summit everest , returns to her birthplace , then actually dies immmediately after achieving her goal .

that was likely the biggest event she had ever planned for , why not leave her body at the place of its' greatest triumph ?

May 27, 2012, 11:28 a.m.

Yeah this I totally agree with. If they put stricter limits on that shit the death rate would probably go down.

What's not being mentioned in all this is one huge factor that being the difficulty of the climb. Everest and K2 are the 2 highest peaks in the world. But here is where it differs. K2 is harder and deadlier to climbers then Everest is.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 27, 2012, 12:18 p.m.

why not leave her body at the place of its' greatest triumph ?

I honestly can't think of why someone really even wants to be put in a cemetery.

buuuuuuuuuuuut otherwise who cares. It's not a tragedy, it's just unfortunate. People waste huge amounts of money on stupid shit all the time. Some of these people even die doing much dumber stuff.

May 27, 2012, 12:23 p.m.

I honestly can't think of why someone really even wants to be put in a cemetery.

buuuuuuuuuuuut otherwise who cares. It's not a tragedy, it's just unfortunate. People waste huge amounts of money on stupid shit all the time. Some of these people even die doing much dumber stuff.

In the old, large cities the graveyards are full. Buried bodies are taken out of graves so that others can be buried there.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 27, 2012, 1:21 p.m.

To be honest, I have not read all the articles but it is my understanding that she is above camp 4 in "The Death Zone". People can't even bring down their tents and oxygen bottle from that elevation. A body retrieval ought to be interesting. A decade ago all the cool kids were climbing Everest to pick up trash, maybe corpse packing parties will be the new Everest Hipster movement.

I imagine that area must be starting to look like earths stratosphere with all the left behind consumables and garbage.

I agree that the bastardization and raping Chomolungma has gotten out of hand. Are those numbers correct - 200 summit attempts in one day? In 96 less than 20 people attempted and there was a massive bung at the Hillary Step. Agreed that other summits such as K2 carry much more weight as far as mountaineering cred these days.

Everest unfortunately has become a shadow of its former glory. I knew it was over years ago when the first blind person summited. Great for them but puts the feat in perspective for the rest of the "hardcores".

May 27, 2012, 3:51 p.m.

nope, she should stay up there to be thawed out in the year 3013 by an archaeologist in the future

May 27, 2012, 4:05 p.m.

When I first started reading the Star (Globe, Post ?) article the other day, I thought they were rehashing the K2 story that I had been reading in the April 2012 issue of National Geographic.
Better ending in the periodical.

May 31, 2012, 3:37 p.m.

Interesting article on a multi-everest summit mountaineer calling for more regulations On who exactly is allowed yo summit the mountain.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/30/everest-mountaineer-crowding-hobby-tragedy?CMP=twt_gu

May 31, 2012, 5:34 p.m.

To be honest, I have not read all the articles but it is my understanding that she is above camp 4 in "The Death Zone". People can't even bring down their tents and oxygen bottle from that elevation. A body retrieval ought to be interesting. A decade ago all the cool kids were climbing Everest to pick up trash, maybe corpse packing parties will be the new Everest Hipster movement.

I imagine that area must be starting to look like earths stratosphere with all the left behind consumables and garbage.

What was collected in 2011

Article:
http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/index.php?/archives/4267-Everest-A-Pile-of-Garbage.html

More pics:
http://eoadaily.com/photo/8-tons-of-garbage-has-been-brought-down-by-saving-mount-everest-expedition-team-2011/

May 31, 2012, 8:52 p.m.

That shit is crazy.

May 31, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

She mortgaged her house for the climb? That's pretty brutal. From the picture it looks like her helmet doesn't fit that well.

Maybe that's what contributed to her death?

Looks like a retard who should have stayed home.

Clunking is for retards.

May 31, 2012, 9:24 p.m.

That shit cray.

Ain't it Jay!

Fyp

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 31, 2012, 10:03 p.m.

If you can't climb it without supplementary oxygen you shouldn't be up there.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman