Mt Everest

May 26, 2012, 1:32 p.m.

The irony to me is all the family talk of "just go get her"
The logistics of bringing a body down from anywhere above camp 4 on Everest borders the impossible. The chances of causing more deaths to retrieve a dead person are massive.
On top of all that, the window for summiting is virtually done for this season so mounting an attempt is at least a year off.
Not even like you could cremate on site and bring ashes down!
I imagine the cost of the whole potential operation would be huge before you even tally the cost of transport home.
She died doing something she loved, we should all be so lucky.
Bright side is, if she stays there…you could always go visit!

May 26, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

Krakauer wrote "Into thin air"

Bookereev wrote " The Climb:Tragic Ambitiions on Everest "

"On May 10, 1996, two commercial expeditions headed by expert leaders attempted to scale the world's largest peak. But things went terribly wrong. Crowded conditions, bad judgement, and a bitter storm stopped many climbers in their tracks. Others were left for dead, or stranded on the frigid mountain. Anatoli Boukreev, head climbing guide for the Mountain Madness expedition, stepped into the heart of the storm and brought three of his clients down alive. Here is his amazing story-of an expedition fated for disaster, of the blind ambition that drives people to attempt such dangerous ventures"

Both books talked about the 96 climbing season where pretty much the same thing happened as 2012, Kraukauer dissed Boukereev in his book and Bookereev answered with his book, whom you want to believe might depend on which book you read 1st so read them both … worth reading

May 26, 2012, 1:45 p.m.

There was a good article a couple years ago in National Geographic about climbing Everest in this day and age.
It tells of one climber searching for a climber/friend that had died on the mountain the year before.
He eventually found him, in pieces, the body had shattered after sliding off a ledge.

May 26, 2012, 2:05 p.m.

"On May 10, 1996, two commercial expeditions headed by expert leaders attempted to scale the world's largest peak. But things went terribly wrong. Crowded conditions, bad judgement, and a bitter storm stopped many climbers in their tracks. Others were left for dead, or stranded on the frigid mountain. Anatoli Boukreev, head climbing guide for the Mountain Madness expedition, stepped into the heart of the storm and brought three of his clients down alive. Here is his amazing story-of an expedition fated for disaster, of the blind ambition that drives people to attempt such dangerous ventures"

Both books talked about the 96 climbing season where pretty much the same thing happened as 2012, Kraukauer dissed Boukereev in his book and Bookereev answered with his book, whom you want to believe might depend on which book you read 1st so read them both … worth reading

I'm reading "Into Thin Air" right now, it's a very interesting read! Recommended.

Mark

2010 Transition TR450 - 34.56lbs - the lightest TR450 ever?

A custom build from the good guys @ North Shore Bike Shop

May 26, 2012, 7:18 p.m.

There is another great book from Goran Kropp, "Ultimate High"(one of my all time favorites and highly recommended to any outdoor enthusiast) He was up there in 96. Great insight from an independent climber. (Rode a bike from Sweden to Nepal unassisted, fixed his own route through the Khumbu Icefields, climbed to help victims, summited solo no oxygen after everyone died, then rode his bike home.)

There is also a great book by Beck Weathers that was part of the 96 group. "Left For Dead" A little more on the "poor me" side but more insight into a crazy day/night on the mountain.

Have read lots of books on Everest as I once had aspirations. The toughest part it seems is the self discipline required to turn back no matter how close you are to Summit once the Golden Hour passes. If aren't there by 2pm, your as good as dead.

May 26, 2012, 7:27 p.m.

There is another great book from Goran Kropp, "Ultimate High"(one of my all time favorites and highly recommended to any outdoor enthusiast) He was up there in 96. Great insight from an independent climber. (Rode a bike from Sweden to Nepal unassisted, fixed his own route through the Khumbu Icefields, climbed to help victims, summited solo no oxygen after everyone died, then rode his bike home.)

I saw his slideshow in vancouver after this trip. He used about 10 slides from the whole trip and was highly entertaining. Too bad he's dead.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

May 26, 2012, 8:14 p.m.

The toughest part it seems is the self discipline required to turn back no matter how close you are to Summit once the Golden Hour passes.

Ed Viesturs always makes that point in his slide shows. His motto is "Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory".

May 26, 2012, 8:33 p.m.

The irony to me is all the family talk of "just go get her"
The logistics of bringing a body down from anywhere above camp 4 on Everest borders the impossible. The chances of causing more deaths to retrieve a dead person are massive.
On top of all that, the window for summiting is virtually done for this season so mounting an attempt is at least a year off.
Not even like you could cremate on site and bring ashes down!
I imagine the cost of the whole potential operation would be huge before you even tally the cost of transport home.
She died doing something she loved, we should all be so lucky.
Bright side is, if she stays there…you could always go visit!

Lol nobody has noticed the posted article where the father says they will be covering all the expenses.

You guys are wasting good outrage.

www.natooke.com

May 26, 2012, 10:59 p.m.

No, we are again reacting on non-existent journalism. Give us some time and we'll learn.

May 26, 2012, 11:10 p.m.

Lol nobody has noticed the posted article where the father says they will be covering all the expenses.

Not only am I not outraged, I make no mention as to who would be covering expenses. I took care to not comment on the initial "OMG look what the government is wasting our money on!"
My post is simply observation and opinion.

May 26, 2012, 11:13 p.m.

I saw his slideshow in vancouver after this trip. He used about 10 slides from the whole trip and was highly entertaining. Too bad he's dead.

I just missed him in Prince George although my wife attended and shared your sentiments. His poor grasp on english and his own focus on that fact added to the hilarity.

Few people can ever say they lived a life like his and as mentioned before, we should all be so lucky to die doing something we love.

May 27, 2012, 5:46 a.m.

The only outrage that I have is that they are letting so many people try to summit at once.

Pastor of Muppets

May 27, 2012, 7:31 a.m.

The only outrage that I have is that they are letting so many people try to summit at once.

Yeah this I totally agree with. If they put stricter limits on that shit the death rate would probably go down.

www.natooke.com

May 27, 2012, 7:58 a.m.

Me too. That was a great talk, and a real feat.

May 27, 2012, 8:05 a.m.

That's one of the biggest issues. there are no controls. Its not like the Tibetans and Nepalese will let stupid people stop paying them money for the privilege.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter