Mt Everest

May 25, 2012, 2:24 p.m.

And how many of them would die doing body recoveries?

I think most high altitude climbers who have put in years gaining the necessary climbing experience and organized their own expeditions (as opposed to writing a cheque and hitting the gym for a year) accept they will lie where they fall if something goes wrong.

Nova did a great documentary, Everest: The Death Zone, about how dangerous high altitude climbing is. They put a group of climbers (including Ed Viesturs and David Breashears, two of the best) through cognitive tests at sea level and again at altitude, and it is scary to see how slow their brains work up there.

well its what a sherpa does for $ and besides they are Buddhists so if they die its just destined to be , I read about a western climber trying to teach them rope work said they aren't too worried about getting it wrong

May 25, 2012, 4:24 p.m.

Green boots guy is still chilling up there.

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

May 25, 2012, 4:29 p.m.

There was an expedition to remove 5 bodies, they were only able to remove 2…

Most of us have NO IDEA how difficult it is to function at that altitude. I"m with XXX'r I pity the people who feel this is an important thing to do in life…

what a waste.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

May 25, 2012, 5:16 p.m.

Having said all that how about "The Extreme Everest Challenge" that is way closer for a way better cause and so far nobody has died ?

http://www.valhallasmithers.com/index.php/blog/valhalla_pure_outfitters_-_extreme_everest_cahllenge

The 1st extreme challenge was a huge sucess, the 2nd annual is next march 30000 ft in 24 hrs by fair means, great camaraderie, great swag, a little party , a little sensory deprivation and no sleep

This is not a race, nobody keeps time or punches your card (fair means eh?) but you can race it if you wish … come up and see the north

OR if you can't make it sponsor me, all proceeds to Rick Hansen foundation

May 25, 2012, 6:33 p.m.

I think I'll e-mail my MP [HTML_REMOVED] tell him I'll be pissed if we even spend a cent on bringing this person back to Canada. Bad idea…leave her there.

Thread killer

May 25, 2012, 6:49 p.m.

If I was able i'd pay for my body to be dumped somewhere on Everest when i go, shit would be scenic.

i googled majin super gay and this thread came up

May 25, 2012, 7:17 p.m.

This whole matter is a bit ridiculous, her family should respect her enough and her dreams to leave her on the mountain. Not to serve as a reminder of danger to others but as a memorial to her for how she lived life. She died chasing a dream that she succeeded in and as sad as that is, it is the most fitting and honourable grave site there is for her to be in.

I hope the government does not help with this.

The guiding businesses on that mountain are the ones that cause these incidents in the first place. They have been taking untrained and unhealthy people up that mountain for decades and often they are the ones who end up dead. That mountain is to be respected as it is a killer.

May 26, 2012, 1:45 a.m.

Send Tim Jones!

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 26, 2012, 6:05 a.m.

I think it's our responsibility to repatriate every Canadian who dies abroad; at all costs. We have a powerful military capable of great feats, why not use them? Not just in this case, but also in the case of people who want to go to third world countries involved in military coupes for tourism or to soldier of fortune. Why? Because they're Canadian, that's why.

just kidding

May 26, 2012, 10:47 a.m.

I think I'll e-mail my MP [HTML_REMOVED] tell him I'll be pissed if we even spend a cent on bringing this person back to Canada. Bad idea…leave her there.

I agree that the government should not pay for any repatriation, but don't waste your email. Here's the latest.

Everest victim's husband says family not seeking government help

The husband of a Toronto woman who died trying to climb Mt. Everest on Saturday says his family is not seeking government help to cover the cost of bringing his wife’s body home.

Shriya Shah, 33, died of exhaustion and altitude sickness on Mt. Everest in Nepal along with three other climbers.

CBC News reported Friday the family was seeking government assistance to cover the costs of repatriating Shah’s body.

The person quoted in that story, Bikram Lamba, described himself as Shah’s godfather.

However, her husband, Bruce Klorfine, contacted CBC News on Friday and said Lamba was a friend of his wife, but he does not speak for the family.

In an email to CBC News, Klorfine said the family will cover the cost of his wife’s repatriation. He said the family plans to have a funeral service in Shah’s birthplace of Kathmandu, Nepal.

Her body will then be cremated and repatriated to Canada. A memorial service will be held for her in Toronto, Klorfine said.

May 26, 2012, 11:12 a.m.

Chuck Norris doesn't climb Everest…Everest climbs Chuck Norris

May 26, 2012, 11:20 a.m.

It is a husk, no longer a HUMAN. Leave it there.
Why should she be any different then all the others who lost there lives trying to make that climb.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

May 26, 2012, 11:39 a.m.

And how many of them would die doing body recoveries?

I think most high altitude climbers who have put in years gaining the necessary climbing experience and organized their own expeditions (as opposed to writing a cheque and hitting the gym for a year) accept they will lie where they fall if something goes wrong.

Nova did a great documentary, Everest: The Death Zone, about how dangerous high altitude climbing is. They put a group of climbers (including Ed Viesturs and David Breashears, two of the best) through cognitive tests at sea level and again at altitude, and it is scary to see how slow their brains work up there.

This is why when climbers coming down from the summit are already exhausted and simply trying to get down.

No different then what happened years ago on Everest back in 96. Jon Krakeaur wrote some book on it. Funny part of the whole episode was Boukreev's decision to descend to camp. In the end allowed him to rest and be capable of going back out to search and rescue those he could. If he didn't descend and rest the body count would have been way higher.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

May 26, 2012, 1:26 p.m.

Chuck Norris doesn't climb Everest…Everest climbs Chuck Norris

I thought Chuck Norris "built" Everest for his jogging route?

"I'm addicted to surfing."

May 26, 2012, 1:30 p.m.

You're probably right, Chuck Norris does everything