Mt Everest

May 25, 2012, 11:47 a.m.

I'm pretty confident that she died of exposure/exhaustion not any sort of impact.

If exposure she should have zipper her jacket up and made use of the warm looking hood on her jacket.

May 25, 2012, 11:58 a.m.

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/the-trouble-with-everest/16add2mub?from=en-ca[HTML_REMOVED]cpkey=bd1508c0-e681-480b-9beb-654aef56abf7||||

There are a whole bunch of people on that mtn that don't have the skills or conditioning but they got 100K

the mtn is still as dangerous as when it was 1st climbed but if you poke around at links on that page you can see HUGE crowds of climbers going for the summit much like a busy sunday on Stawamis Chief … its hard to feel sorry for anybody who trys to buy the summit of Everest

Pretty sure this was one of the factors leading to her death:

Since Saturday, questions have swirled around the circumstances that led to Shah-Klorfine’s death. She was said to be caught in a traffic jam of 208 people near the summit, most of whom were using a brief spell of good weather as an opportunity to reach the 8,848-metre peak.

Ahuja insists her friend received no warning that, with the massive backlog, it would be dangerous to press onward. Outside Magazine reported Monday two sherpas advised Shah-Klorfine just before 2 p.m. to turn around.

Shah-Klorfine repeatedly refused, saying, “No, I have to go; I have to go,” according to Outside, which had a reporter at Mount Everest over the weekend.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1182234--mount-everest-death-sparks-questions-over-what-it-takes-to-get-up-and-down-the-famous-peak

May 25, 2012, 12:05 p.m.

Sherpa's doing the body recovery work might see this as the motherload.

And how many of them would die doing body recoveries?

I think most high altitude climbers who have put in years gaining the necessary climbing experience and organized their own expeditions (as opposed to writing a cheque and hitting the gym for a year) accept they will lie where they fall if something goes wrong.

Nova did a great documentary, Everest: The Death Zone, about how dangerous high altitude climbing is. They put a group of climbers (including Ed Viesturs and David Breashears, two of the best) through cognitive tests at sea level and again at altitude, and it is scary to see how slow their brains work up there.

May 25, 2012, 12:36 p.m.

Get a grip folks. It's her corpse. It does not matter where it is. It is not her it is her corpse. Leave it there. Don't risk lives to get a meaningless body that you will what? Look at and stick in a box in the ground? Burn and keep the ashes in a vase on a shelf? When I die, you may do whatever you like with my remains. Science can have at it. Don't care.

Debate? Bikes are made for riding not pushing.

May 25, 2012, 12:37 p.m.

From the article:
"If the government isn't able to help with the repatriation, the cremation will be performed in Kathmandu, and the remains would then be brought back to Toronto, Lamba said."

If the family can't pay for the flight back from Kathmandu, I guess they can ask for the Canadian Government to do it. I sure hope the government respectfully declines. I'll be pissed if they (we) pay for this.

May 25, 2012, 12:56 p.m.

This may be one of the few issues where everyone here is on the same page.
:woot:

Wrong. Always.

May 25, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

I think our last shot for disagreement lies with Tungsten. Someone should go check counterpunch to see if they have any comments on this.

May 25, 2012, 1:33 p.m.

There's an article over on the Globe with more details. Cliff notes are she trained for 2 years, never really climbed or mountaineered, got stuck in a traffic jam up Everest (long as walk of people), ignored the Sherpa's advice to turn around, and died pleading to be saved.

Pretty tough to approach a situation rationally when your brain is oxygen deprived and you're doing something you'll only ever have 1 shot at.

May 25, 2012, 1:45 p.m.

If exposure she should have zipper her jacket up and made use of the warm looking hood on her jacket.

im sure when that picture was taken it was a life and death moment

May 25, 2012, 1:48 p.m.

Shipping a corpse is a pretty big expense. I believe the the flight costs themselves are usually around 10k for international plus you need to have a special coffin, and the body needs to be embalmed… you know, so there is no leaking.

If her family has already stated that if the government doesn't pay for it they will just have her remains cremated then obviously the desire to bring back her actual body has nothing to do with her belief/religion so maybe they should just cremate her and be done with it.

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding

May 25, 2012, 1:52 p.m.

IMHO: When you decide to go big and make that decision to hit something with a history of fatal failure, that's a decision to give it all up for that goal in mind. You perish in the natural surrounding that was your decision to get into, you stay there.

I am certain it's a bit morbid of a tale and site, I mean, there are not just a few who've died up there. But this is it - man (as in humankind) as one with nature (I prefer that phrase as opposed to "against nature") - don't make it, nature takes you.

"I'm addicted to surfing."

May 25, 2012, 2:04 p.m.

There's an article over on the Globe with more details. Cliff notes are she trained for 2 years, have never climbed, got stuck in a traffic jam up Everest (long as walk of people), ignored the Sherpa's advice to turn around, and died pleading to be saved.

Pretty tough to approach a situation rationally when your brain is oxygen deprived and you're doing something you'll only ever have 1 shot at.

Pretty tough to approach a situation rationally when you're a complete idiot….

treezz
wow you are a ass

May 25, 2012, 2:10 p.m.

Shipping a corpse is a pretty big expense. I believe the the flight costs themselves are usually around 10k for international plus you need to have a special coffin, and the body needs to be embalmed… you know, so there is no leaking.

If her family has already stated that if the government doesn't pay for it they will just have her remains cremated then obviously the desire to bring back her actual body has nothing to do with her belief/religion so maybe they should just cremate her and be done with it.

I'm more concerned with how knowledgeable you are when it comes to shipping corpses.

May 25, 2012, 2:10 p.m.

if nothing else, at least she made the summit [HTML_REMOVED] fulfilled her dream. given she was born in kathmandu, you'd think they'd be especially inclined to leave her up there. seems a fitting (and pretty rad if you ask me) place to leave your corpse. certainly better than teedot.

May 25, 2012, 2:13 p.m.

I'm more concerned with how knowledgeable you are when it comes to shipping corpses.

:shhh: I've only had to do it once

www.essentialcycles.com | www.essentialcycles.shop 

Service, Sales & Repair Shop, Mountain Bike Rentals, Coaching & Guiding