MP3 players: brain almost blew up at bestbuy

Aug. 24, 2006, 1:50 p.m.

Li-Po. The Lithium ion polymer battery is just a varient of the Li-Ion battery, except there is no fluid component, just a gel sheet inside. What that means is: Same performance, less chance it will blow your nuts off in your trouser pocket.

Other way around. Li ons are perfectly safe. Li Pos are dangerous. I used to race xmods and had a li po EVO. Its li-on thats safer, but lipos are smaller.

Aug. 24, 2006, 2:14 p.m.

Other way around. Li ons are perfectly safe. Li Pos are dangerous. I used to race xmods and had a li po EVO. Its li-on thats safer, but lipos are smaller.

Nope. LiPos is safer. Racing cars and RC planes is really hard on batteries because of the serious current draw, which is why a lot of battery packs run them in parallel.
The Wikipedia entry has it all laid out in the first paragraph. The whole article is really good though.

Aug. 24, 2006, 2:30 p.m.

Trust me, there not. WEll at least for what us xmodracers used them for. I was searching xmodworld for the thread, couldnt find it

Aug. 24, 2006, 2:59 p.m.

Either battery will run okay if used correctly. The polymer batteries don't require a liquid solvent (which is flammable). Both batteries can still explode though. For the intense current pull of a racer there may have been issues with early LiPo, but the current technology is far superior.
Anyway, this has become a threadjack, so…

We now return to our regular programming.

Aug. 24, 2006, 3:15 p.m.

well?

You arent a very persuasive person are you? You like to talk it seems, but there isnt a whole lot of info in all those keystrokes you made.

"blah blah blah, you arent very nice, blah blah blah, i know something you dont know, blah blah blah, ipod sucks its too shiny"

You know, I'm going to ignore this rudeness and make a point:

When someone asks for help, and you try to give it, then they cut your head off for making a go of it, obviously, you'd be less likely to assist again or continue to assist. As someone that has spent many years dealing with random people that don't deserve anyone's help, but was bound by my profession to help anyway, I find solace in knowing that I now can give my help to people who deserve it, and tell the others to screw themselves.

I give my knowledge freely and willingly. I will always help where I can. What I no longer put up with is a slap in the face for trying, no matter who it is.

I'm happy that your iPod is working fine for you, but I wouldn't say random freezing requiring a reboot is fine…unless you're talking about a windows based PC.

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3
2003 Giant TCR ONCE Team Road Bike

For Sale:

2004 Marzocchi DJII - NEW! PRICE LOWERED!

Tech Geek that likes to Freeride. Visit my stuff at: www.futurelooks.com and for that laptop fetish, www.laptoplifestyle.net.

Aug. 24, 2006, 3:58 p.m.

Back on topic, A couple things for you to think about. Firstly, do you really need 30 gigs ? Secondly, the creative mp3s are great, but your still spending 300 bucks on an mp3 player thats problably gonna get crushed anyways.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=[HTML_REMOVED]langid=EN[HTML_REMOVED]sku_id=0665000FS10062598[HTML_REMOVED]catid=

^ If I was in your situation, thats what id get. A gig holds a lot of songs. Why would you need 30 gigs, like how long are your rides ? Ive got one of them ^ and it works great, battery lasts forever and its reliable. Cheap too. Just my 2 cents

good post and good advice. i don

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 24, 2006, 4:07 p.m.

Music and video that wasn't bought through iTunes is tricky to form into playlists and folders on the iPod.

Not true. Anything I download from Limewire easily gets into iTunes. If I can do it, it's dead simple, trust me.

Aug. 24, 2006, 4:11 p.m.

20 hour driving trip to MOAB - that 1GB of storage space is going to seem pretty small. 30GB is a great road trip device

Aug. 24, 2006, 4:21 p.m.

When someone asks for help, and you try to give it, then they cut your head off for making a go of it, obviously, you'd be less likely to assist again or continue to assist.

but you never gave any advice….

In fact, all you did was slander an apple product with (seemingly) no reason at all. You of all people (being a future looks employee or whatever) should know that people have strong opinions on mp3 players, and if history has tought us anything, saying something like that even on NSMB as your first comment would cause nothing but trouble.

Read your first comment as somebody who knows nothing about mp3 players…. Does it really give off the impression that you have ANY idea about what you are talking about? Cuz it sounded to me like you were just another anti-apple groupie. So now, honeslty, even if you did give a reason not to get an ipod, i would just consider it smoke out of your ass.

EDIT: as for the storage amount conversation, i have a 20gig. Its about 2/3 full now. I dont even listen to most of the music on it. HOWEVER, i find it quite nice having the option to listen to any one of my songs at any given point in time. And i also like knowing that i could use my ipod as a storage device if i need it. I feel as though having lots of storage is a good thing, but like im sure others have said above, its really just up to you.

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 24, 2006, 5:08 p.m.

Read your first comment as somebody who knows nothing about mp3 players…. Does it really give off the impression that you have ANY idea about what you are talking about? Cuz it sounded to me like you were just another anti-apple groupie. So now, honeslty, even if you did give a reason not to get an ipod, i would just consider it smoke out of your ass.

Read it again…

I hate Apple players. They are the cheapest pieces of hardware around…with a nice shiny outer casing…and something called iTunes :P

I think I was being equally sarcastic as well as opinionated, however, at the end of the day, I KNOW that Apple does not put the care that other manufacturers have in building a better quality product that gives the consumer value. I am familiar with FOXCONN, Apples OEM manufacturer, and after seeing and experiencing the lack of creativity and commitment to customers from this manufacturer, I am not surprised at all. If no one talks with their dollars, they will get away with this.

I knew the minute that I powered up a 1 GB nano, one of Apples more mature products now, and it failed out of the box, requiring several reboots, that I was not out of line in my thinking. It just solidifed what I know. I was just relieved that it was a sample that I didn't have to pay for. Are we to accept this as being just part of ownership? Please!

I have already said that both Creative and Samsung are two companies I highly respect, and both have excellent offerings, constantly pushing the envelope to give the consumer a better machine. Use whatever software you want to get your music, drop it onto their players and go.

I am actually sad to see that Del has chosen an iPod, even through the warnings were given by others. More unfortunate, it is refurbished one he purchased. Having been in the industry so long and having experienced the past horror of "THE REFURB", and even recently, refurbished products are just a customer service issue waiting to happen.

I have to ask now, if you think I'm full of crap, why do you proceed to egg me on? Obviously, you think I'm blowing smoke out of my ass and you've formed some sort of opinion and love your iPod and stuff. IF you love yoru iPod, then GREAT! If it is actually functioning properly, I am even happier for you. But where does this anger come from?

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3

For Sale:

Tech Geek that likes to Freeride. Visit my stuff at: www.futurelooks.com and for that laptop fetish, www.laptoplifestyle.net.

Aug. 24, 2006, 5:13 p.m.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Creative-Zen-Xtra-30GB-USB-2-0-Hard-Drive-MP3-Player_W0QQitemZ170022615473QQihZ007QQcategoryZ114616QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Creative's Ebay store is awesome, who cares if it's refurbished. By the way, if you get a HD player and would like to keep it in working condition, don't take it riding or boarding/skiing… get a small player for that

shop smart, shop s-mart, mhm

Aug. 24, 2006, 5:26 p.m.

I knew the minute that I powered up a 1 GB nano, one of Apples more mature products now, and it failed out of the box, requiring several reboots, that I was not out of line in my thinking. It just solidifed what I know. I was just relieved that it was a sample that I didn't have to pay for. Are we to accept this as being just part of ownership? Please!

This argument has never made sense to me. Just because you tried a defective model, means that every single iPod is defective and thus should be stayed away from? EVERY manufacturer has defective models, not just Apple. The reason you hear about more defective iPods is because of the sheer number of iPods in circulation. Apple has what, 70, 80% of the MP3 player market? Of course you're going to hear about more iPods breaking. No other company comes even close to selling the number of units Apple does, so you're going to hear correspondingly less about defective models from other companies.

Oh, and not everybody "warned" Del about buying an iPod. I fail to see any warnings in this thread aside from yours and Best Buy's, which is bull for the reason I wrote above, and because they were trying to sell the extended warranty on him. If they convince him that the warranty is needed, they get more $$$, so of course they'll try to convince him that the batteries are crap.

Aug. 24, 2006, 5:54 p.m.

This argument has never made sense to me. Just because you tried a defective model, means that every single iPod is defective and thus should be stayed away from? EVERY manufacturer has defective models, not just Apple. The reason you hear about more defective iPods is because of the sheer number of iPods in circulation. Apple has what, 70, 80% of the MP3 player market? Of course you're going to hear about more iPods breaking. No other company comes even close to selling the number of units Apple does, so you're going to hear correspondingly less about defective models from other companies.

Oh, and not everybody "warned" Del about buying an iPod. I fail to see any warnings in this thread aside from yours and Best Buy's, which is bull for the reason I wrote above, and because they were trying to sell the extended warranty on him. If they convince him that the warranty is needed, they get more $$$, so of course they'll try to convince him that the batteries are crap.

Sigh… It sounds like you've heard this "argument" more than once…

Look, the 1 GB nano is Apples latest nano. There is nothing different about it from the 2 and 4 gig versions except for the fact that it has less memory. They come off the same lines, out of the same FOXCONN facility. Being that it is technically the 2nd gen of the nano, since 2 and 4 gig unites were launched together, these issues SHOULD NOT happen now. They had all that time to get it right, and they didn't.

I doubt that Apples worldwide MP3 market share is 80%, since that is a US number (Last number I heard was 82%, US ONLY, but that was months ago), but I do agree they sell more units than any other single brand…in the US.

Turning this whole thing around, it seems that there are a lot of "Pod" people here who have decided that anything other than their iPod's, or any attack on them, is grounds for a holy war. I am saddened to see the lack of openness to those "Other Options" out there. And no one said "everybody" warned Del. I said "others" if we're going to nitpick.

As a lover of gadgets, I would be VERY pleased if Apple actually went back and created a product with as much zeal and substance as their marketing potrays. I am not so easily impressed.

Though I understand that everyone gets a little upset when someone makes a negative comment about a product one buys, what I don't understand is the close mindedness and unwillingness to waiver from the "Apple Altar".

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3

For Sale:

Aug. 24, 2006, 6:46 p.m.

But where does this anger come from?

the fact that im sitting behind my computer screen in the comfort of my own home and if i piss anyone off they cant do anything about it….

Isnt that where most of the anger come from around here? :lol:

I'd like to pick apart this comment:

I am saddened to see the lack of openness to those "Other Options" out there

See, it is this comment that infuriates me so much. I own an ipod. Iam EXTREMELY happy with it. You obviously dont understand that. Ok, you have had a bad experience. Great. But in case it isnt obvious, there ARE in fact lots people who have had really good luck. Yet you still insist on calling us blind? Blind!?!?! Alot of us ipod owners are HAPPY with the product. But just because you havent had the same experience, you critisize us?

All im saying is, dont try and tell us which product is superior. You wont get anywhere because we've all had different experiences.

You CAN however just tell us your experience. Which you did, but you also decided to flat out call ipods crap.

You are confusing opinions with facts.

thinkin bout bikes

Aug. 24, 2006, 7:28 p.m.

See, it is this comment that infuriates me so much. I own an ipod. Iam EXTREMELY happy with it. You obviously dont understand that. Ok, you have had a bad experience. Great. But in case it isnt obvious, there ARE in fact lots people who have had really good luck. Yet you still insist on calling us blind? Blind!?!?! Alot of us ipod owners are HAPPY with the product. But just because you havent had the same experience, you critisize us?

Oh geez… I've acknowledged yours and the happiness of others with this product several times. This is becomeing a circular argument. I do understand, so I'm calling you on your bullshit now.

All im saying is, dont try and tell us which product is superior. You wont get anywhere because we've all had different experiences.

You CAN however just tell us your experience. Which you did, but you also decided to flat out call ipods crap.

You are confusing opinions with facts.

I haven't singled any one product as superior over another. I have only pointed out that other products do more and are a far better value than the Apple products.

I can see right through your anguish and know that the only reason that you're taking this so far is because you're upset that I made some non flattering comments about a product that you personally purchased, and you don't like hearing that. Especially since you obviously paid a lot of money for it. That's buyers remorse asking if you made the right decision or not. No one wants to hear that something that they bought isn't good.

I have acknowledged, and am happy that you're having a great time with your iPod. You enjoy your product, and that's great. That's one less customer service issue that Apple will have to worry about it so they are happy too.

I do, however, have a very unique perspective in that I actually know what happens behind the scenes in those types of factories, so I don't expect you to totally understand where I'm coming from. As media, I've even toured factories in ShenZhen, where Apple has built their plant. I get fed a lot of information the regular population won't get easily.

Accept that I do have this unique perspective and go ahead and enjoy your iPod as it seems to serve you well, but keep an open mind. You're so closed that it makes you seem like you've joined a cult. (iPod Good! Death to Infidels!)

But based on my experiences, and from what I know from the industry, Apple makes a mediocre product that is marketed extremely well. I applaud them for their creative marketing efforts, but I don't applaud the product that their pushing.

Bikes:

2005 Trek Session 77
2004 Specialized P3

For Sale: