Moving to North Van - Advice Welcome!

Sept. 6, 2012, 2:55 p.m.

Hi guys,

I'm moving to North Van from Victoria. I'm not very familiar with the area but after a two-day reconnaissance mission I am pretty stoked!

I just spent the last two days walking around Lonsdale to get a feel for the place, and also managed to get a few brakepad-melting rides in on Mt. Fromme!

Everyone I spoke with on the trails was friendly and kind enough to point me in the right directions, so a big thank-you to those nameless riders out there who I spoke with, as well as to a few of the guys at North Shore- and Obsession Bikes, who were kind enough to chat with me about the local riding scene and trails.

The main reason for my move is for the better career opportunities in Vancouver than on the island. After finishing a degree at UVic, I've been working as a roughneck in the oilpatch for the last few years…as I haven't found a decent job with room for advancement here on the island. So I'm looking for entry-level sales and marketing positions in the downtown area and North Van. Any career advice from anyone in the area would be welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Does anyone here commute via bike + seabus? The seabus website says only 6 bikes per sailing; is there ever a wait if you have a bike?

Look forward to seeing you guys out on the trails, and at NSMB's trail-building days.

Cheers, Dan

Sept. 6, 2012, 3:02 p.m.

don't discount living in the district - closer to the trails!

Sept. 6, 2012, 3:49 p.m.

don't discount living in the district - closer to the trails!

…I'm planning on living in Lower Lonsdale. :)

Sept. 6, 2012, 4:33 p.m.

…I'm planning on living in Lower Lonsdale. :)

That would be in the City, not the District (of north van)

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Sept. 6, 2012, 4:40 p.m.

Lower Lonsdale is halfway living in the big shitty. Head closer to the mountains into the District of NV, and enjoy quiet housing with a forest surrounding.

Sept. 6, 2012, 5:51 p.m.

turn back, we're full

Sept. 6, 2012, 7:38 p.m.

Commuting with your bike on the seabus should be easy - i've never had to wait.

Where in north van depends on what you want - lower lonsdale is great for easy access to downtown and close to amenities, but if you want trails outside your backdoor and quiet living, higher up the mountain or deep cove is where you want to be.

Sept. 6, 2012, 9:07 p.m.

Now that NV is my home, ima start saying that everyone who moves here after I did is just a foreigner crowding the dang place up.

Kn.

Sept. 6, 2012, 9:33 p.m.

Also easy to commute via Lion's Gate, head down 13th to Keith Road to the 1st ave bike route, to Lion's Gate.
Even from upper Lynn Valley, bike commute downtown is 30-45 min depending where you have to go,
(a bit longer getting home). Lower Londsdale you'll have to drive up to the trails, it's awesome being up higher, having quick access to both Fromme and Seymour , but as Bowen said, We're full!

Sept. 6, 2012, 9:49 p.m.

advice from anyone in the area would be welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Learn some basic polite Farsi… seriously…. and try some of the persian food restaurants around Lonsdale and 16th.

"Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes, it has not died out."
- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

Sept. 7, 2012, 10:26 a.m.

Now that NV is my home, ima start saying that everyone who moves here after I did is just a foreigner crowding the dang place up.

Kn.

Get off my lawn.

Sept. 7, 2012, 10:33 a.m.

Mt Seymour area sucks. No riding, nothing to do. Stay away from there.

Sept. 7, 2012, 11:02 a.m.

Get off my lawn.

As soon as I find your lawn, I'll wander onto it, just so I do as above!

Kn.

Sept. 7, 2012, 12:46 p.m.

Thanks for the tips and info, guys.

shore_flea
Also easy to commute via Lion's Gate, head down 13th to Keith Road to the 1st ave bike route, to Lion's Gate.
Even from upper Lynn Valley, bike commute downtown is 30-45 min depending where you have to go,
(a bit longer getting home). Lower Londsdale you'll have to drive up to the trails, it's awesome being up higher, having quick access to both Fromme and Seymour , but as Bowen said, We're full!

Ha…if I pedalled up that hill everyday after work I'm not sure I'd have much left for the mountain bike… without doping anyways.

Please….I won't Crowd Up The Place - I always pay by cheque at the grocery store, and take up the full lane when I ride uphill on my fixie. Might drop a deuce on your lawn though.:scream:

Sept. 7, 2012, 11:45 p.m.

Get off my lawn.

you're just lucky you live in the City.