Moving to Mission

Jan. 27, 2010, 4:24 p.m.

I'm selling my place in Langley and I'm looking at moving to Mission. I grew up in Pitt Meadows so I'm used to living on that side of the river, but I'm not all that familliar with what Mission is like nowadys. (It's been about 8 years since I've lived anywhere near Mission and it's not the town I remember). I've seen alot of people on the Fraser Valley thread who live near Mission/Abby. Any advice about areas I should look at or avoid? (Besides avoiding Mission as a whole, just thought I'd shoot that one down before somebody brought it up.)

alright!!!

Jan. 27, 2010, 4:29 p.m.

got a new job location?

Jan. 27, 2010, 5 p.m.

Move up the hill away from the river and closer to the goods.

Jan. 27, 2010, 5:17 p.m.

Red mountain is prime location i hear

Jan. 27, 2010, 5:26 p.m.

[email protected] lives in Mission now. Maybe he'll weigh in.

Jan. 27, 2010, 5:40 p.m.

No new job, the other business (family owns a travel agency) is crapping out due to the recession, and the fact that nobody uses travel agencies anymore. We're downsizing ahead of time expense wise so we'll know we're in good shape. My wife will still be in school for the next year and a half so finding work that isn't owned by her parents that pays as well and fit's her schedule (with 2 kids) is tough. We'll live in a smaller place till she graduates and the youngest starts pre-school then she can go back to work and we'll buy another big place.

The reason we're thinking Mission is the fact that it has the Westcoast Express for commuting as well as the abundance of older wartime houses. We like rennovating stuff (not flippers, we just like to refurbish old stuff be it houses/cars/apliances etc) But most of the older houses in Mission seem to be in the crappiest ie: druggies/gang member neighbourhoods. I'd love to get something further back into the woods but I don't think I'd have the time to handle the house AND the big ass property. Also most of those properties are 500k+ and that's a bit over budget. I'd just like to know where the really sketch neighbourhoods are. Most of Mission looks sketch in general, I don't mind kinda sketch as I used to live downtown so I'm used to it. But if there are areas where anyone knows there's serious drug problems and such I'd like to know ahead of time. Realestate agents tend to leave those kind of details out of their listings.

alright!!!

Jan. 27, 2010, 5:59 p.m.

You don't need to go way up to the acreages…just a bit up the hill it starts to get nicer than downtown.

You're worried about drugs and gangs…and you're moving from Langley?

Jan. 27, 2010, 6:16 p.m.

Cedar Valley

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Jan. 27, 2010, 7:56 p.m.

You don't need to go way up to the acreages…just a bit up the hill it starts to get nicer than downtown.

You're worried about drugs and gangs…and you're moving from Langley?

True, when I bought my place in Langley (Willoughby Heights) there were 4 shootings within a kilometer or so of my house within the space of a few months. The Shell station shootout was only a couple of blocks away. Needless to say I'm a bit more concerned about the safety of a neighbourhood that I'm moving into, and that's part of the reason I'm asking now.

alright!!!

Jan. 28, 2010, 5:27 a.m.

The farther away from downtown/1st the better.
Area just north of Fraserview school, western end of 7th, is sketchy as fock.

Nice area around UCFV, or whatever it's called now, on the eastern end and above 7th. Places there are all about 10-15 years old, newer neighborhood. New schools there, too.
Up Cedar is nice, at the top over the hill.

Check out Hatzic area, between Mission and Dewdney/Deroche. It's right under the monastery.

The best things in life all start with the letter B
Hooray for: Bacon, Bikeys, Boobies, Boards, and Beer!

Jan. 28, 2010, 8:03 a.m.

Anything above about 8th ave is usually decent, unless its over towards hatzic (out of the actual downtown) which can get real expenssive. Theres also great deals in hatzic but its not close to westcoast express and its on a floodplain. Skids don't like walking uphill. If your buying in town something to keep in mind is that a few years back mission had the highest # of grow shows per capita in the province so buyer beware. When I was about 13 we lived in a couple of places that were obviously old shows (in mission). If its got a basement, beware, in mission.

Disclaimer. Anything written above this should not be taken literally, its called sarcasm you idiots.

Jan. 28, 2010, 9:42 a.m.

I'm actually going to look at a place near Hatzic this weekend. I think it's in the floodplain. I'm not too worried about grow-ops (as long as I don't buy one!). Nowadays it seems grow-op's are unavoidable no mater where you live. Even in expensive neighbourhoods like the British Properties or Westwood Plateau there seems to be tonns on them. I just don't want sketchies hanging around in or around my yard as my kid's will be playing out there.

alright!!!

Jan. 28, 2010, 10:41 a.m.

I'm in Stave Falls and a 9 minute ride from the Woodlot. It is a nice area if you like hiking, salmon fishing, lakes and good access to trails. Being an off-road redneck is also a popular hobby.

Richard

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

Jan. 28, 2010, 4:03 p.m.

I was born in Maple Ridge and lived in Pitt Meadows for 25 years. In highschool we'd go "camping" up at stave. If anybody's parents had a vehicle that seemed even slightly capable offroad we'd "borrow" it to go drive up Mcnutt. We tore a hole in my buddies mom's oil pan doing that, it was a dodge colt (that looks 4wd enough dosen't it?). I started riding at the Woodlot in 97-98ish? Bear mountain even before that, the first freeride trail (as back in those day's nothing was really designated as freeride until TTF's started showing up) I ever rode was Jolly Rancher. So ya, I'm actually quite stoked to be moving there. I've also always wanted to do trail work up at the Woodlot but since I didn't live close enough it was never an option. I'd love to resurect Gold one day if I ever get the time.

alright!!!

May 24, 2017, 10:24 a.m.

Bump...

A move out to the valley could be on the cards, what are people's thoughts on mission in 2017?  The desktop study ticks a lot of boxes but can't quite figure the place out...

Cheers