Moving to Comox...

Dec. 12, 2022, 10:01 a.m.

I moved to Errington a year ago. Best move ever. Vancouver sucks.

Dec. 12, 2022, 10:14 a.m.

Posted by: Putty

I had to Google where that was.  My mom lived in Parksville for 20 years too.  LOL.

Dec. 12, 2022, 10:26 a.m.

I had to look it up too, lol. Turns out we practically passed it when we stopped at the Dutch store in Coombs for some pepernoten and stroopwafels on the way to Victoria a couple weeks ago.

Personally I don't think Vancouver sucks but after 10 years we were just ready for a smaller, quieter town.

Dec. 12, 2022, 11:54 a.m.

not a fan of Vancouver, but North Vancouver is the tits.  Best MTB'ing on the planet.

Dec. 13, 2022, 9:58 a.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

not a fan of Vancouver, but North Vancouver is the tits.  Best MTB'ing on the planet.

True that. Just getting there is pain.

Dec. 14, 2022, 1:01 p.m.

why I live and work in NV....  7 mins to Seymour.

April 24, 2023, 8:01 a.m.

Still not tired of the view.....

April 24, 2023, 12:09 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Still not tired of the view.....

You'll have to take a trip back that way, beautiful area.

July 25, 2023, 11:36 p.m.

The Whistle Stop pub has most excellent food.  Try the pork schnitzel.

But the traffic in Courtenay has gotten pretty bad.  One day a small town in BC will be created using a good planner that will design a proper road layout.

July 26, 2023, 9:36 a.m.

Thanks for the tip. So many eating places to try in the valley! At the rate we eat out it'll probably take us a lifetime to try them all!

I can't say we've experienced any significant traffic since we moved here last summer. It gets a little busy on the road every now and then, as in you'll have a few minutes delay at the bridge or a busy intersection.

Car-centric urban design is sad but so is a car-centric lifestyle. A lot of what we need is within walking or biking distance and by linking up multi-use paths and quiet residential roads it's pretty doable overall. There is a lot of potential to make things better from an infrastructure perspective and also in general liveability terms. I hope to downshift work a few years from now and once I have more time and mental space available I might just find the motivation to get involved in advocacy etc.

Last edited by: [email protected] on July 26, 2023, 9:37 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 26, 2023, 10:21 a.m.

Vancouver is expensive and can suck depending on different lifestyle factors, but I wouldn't say overall that Vancouver sucks. There's more than enough good things going to to make it worthwhile living here.

July 26, 2023, 5:03 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Vancouver is expensive and can suck depending on different lifestyle factors, but I wouldn't say overall that Vancouver sucks. There's more than enough good things going to to make it worthwhile living here.

Philosophy 101 - the more some place else sucks, the better your location is.

July 26, 2023, 9:31 p.m.

Posted by: LoamtoHome

why I live and work in NV.... 7 mins to Seymour.

I live but don't work in NV. I do commute by bike most days. Made a conscious decision to live close to where we play. Zero regrets.

I could definitely see moving to the Comox Valley at some point. Victoria is nice but too far away from most of the things I enjoy doing.

Last edited by: skooks on July 26, 2023, 9:36 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
July 26, 2023, 9:43 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Nope. Not enough to draw me back to live there again. Nice place to visit for a week or two but after that like Toronto....best viewed at that point in the rear view mirror.

Oh, and too many fucking people.

July 27, 2023, 8:47 a.m.

Posted by: skooks

I live but don't work in NV. I do commute by bike most days. Made a conscious decision to live close to where we play. Zero regrets.

I could definitely see moving to the Comox Valley at some point. Victoria is nice but too far away from most of the things I enjoy doing.

Same here, except I drive to work. Marine station area is a bit too much of a pedal to/from Upper Lonsdale area for me. Not at all regretting the decision to live close to play, it's paid off in full. Having come from the Island originally, and with housing being where it is, we're due to move back to the Isle in about a year or so (probably Ladysmith/Nanaimo area). I'll miss the literal buffet of trail within 15min of my door, spread across 3 mountains, but I'm REALLY looking forward to a slower pace.