Moving to Comox...

April 17, 2022, 1:04 p.m.

Posted by: jgshinton

What do you guys do for fun when you aren't cycling? 

Ha! Well first there is a lot of cycling, Then there is skateboarding, trail running, walking, pickleball, falling off a unicycle, hanging out with friends, pubs, coffee shops, playing games, chilling at home...I mean I could list another 30 things. The Comox Valley has a population of ~67K so there are lots of humans to do stuff with and a huge amount of outdoors space to play in. 

I run out of time and energy before I run out of stuff to do each week.

April 17, 2022, 2:55 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

Welcome to the valley! I find it's pretty easy to get around the area. Between dedicated bike lanes, wide low traffic roads and busier roads with shoulders I haven't had any issues getting anywhere I wanted to go on a bike. That said I've been riding bikes in Canada [sub-optimal bike infrastructure] my whole life so plotting good routes and riding safely in these sorts of conditions is second nature.

That said it could be improved 100%. Especially for folks who are not confident cyclists and aren't able to plan/execute less than ideal routes to their destination. A CCC coordinated cycling plan would be great so each community as well as the local FNs could work towards a common goal. For all I know such a beast exists and there are plans in the works to make improvements. It's clear there is a focus on cycling in that I see a lot of cycling infrastructure and signage, but it just doesn't connect up throughout the whole valley in a really obvious and efficient way. I haven't gotten involved in local cycling advocacy yet, but I've started to meet people who are so I'll have a better understanding by the end of 2022.

Speaking of Comox specifically I see a lot of folks getting around on bikes. Drivers are pretty considerate. Almost to the point of overdoing it. I've had to pull way over and wave cars by even though there was room for them to safely pass me as I was riding.

For sure it's already easy to get around on a bike. I was more thinking of the level of bike friendliness where primary school kids ride their bike to school on their own etc. The potential is there.

Posted by: jgshinton

What do you guys do for fun when you aren't cycling? I stayed in Cumberland briefly last year and it felt like there was only 2 restaurants and 2 cafes, I thought I would quickly run out of things to do. So I ended up moving to Victoria then Vancouver, kind of the opposite route from you ironically... Thankfully I found a place near Mt. Seymour so I can still ride to the trails, but I do miss Cumberland's flow routes.

We don't really eat out that much, maybe once or twice a month, same for grabbing a coffee or tea somewhere. Feels like at least Courtenay and Comox have enough choice for our needs. Apart from that there are endless outdoor opportunities spanning the entire spectrum from nice parks for a picnic to mtb and hiking trails, lakes for kayaking etc.

It really depends on your lifestyle and maybe what phase of life you are in. I have always enjoyed all the amenities in Amsterdam, Montreal, and Vancouver but am at a point where I'm ready for a smaller and quieter town.

April 18, 2022, 9:07 a.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

This area could be a cycling heaven but the potential is almost entirely untapped and there is the usual low-effort car-centric urban planning. Even after 14 years in North America, as a Dutchman it still puzzles me. Like, that road from Courtenay to Comox, along the water, how the hell is there no separate multi-use cycling/walking path?!? Anyway, the shoulder is pretty wide and cars don't drive very fast there.

The Valley is pretty divided politically. The few cycling lanes that we have are pretty recent and we're probably a decade behind most other communities on the island in terms of cycling infrastructure. We also have jurisdictional issues, the City of Courtenay, Village of Cumberland and the Town of Comox are starting to move forward with cycling infrastructure projects, a lot of the connecting roads between the communities are in the Regional District and are under MOTI jurisdiction. We live just outside of the city limits in the Lake Trail area and our road, which a large number of kids walk on to get to Elementary school doesn't even have gravel shoulders and MOTI refuses to improve the road, the same applies to the Dyke road along the water front to Comox. Snow removal is a pain in the ass as well because each jurisdiction refuses to clear snow for any other and they all point fingers at one another if you complain.

April 18, 2022, 9:32 a.m.

Posted by: jbazett

The Valley is pretty divided politically. The few cycling lanes that we have are pretty recent and we're probably a decade behind most other communities on the island in terms of cycling infrastructure. We also have jurisdictional issues, the City of Courtenay, Village of Cumberland and the Town of Comox are starting to move forward with cycling infrastructure projects, a lot of the connecting roads between the communities are in the Regional District and are under MOTI jurisdiction. We live just outside of the city limits in the Lake Trail area and our road, which a large number of kids walk on to get to Elementary school doesn't even have gravel shoulders and MOTI refuses to improve the road, the same applies to the Dyke road along the water front to Comox. Snow removal is a pain in the ass as well because each jurisdiction refuses to clear snow for any other and they all point fingers at one another if you complain.

Thanks for providing some context. Yes local/regional politics can be like that. I'll look up more info on the different cycling infra plans to get a better idea.

April 18, 2022, 1:19 p.m.

was in the area this w/e - the parents live in deep bay; as such, i've spent a good bit of time in the area over the years. deliberating the region as a retirement escape scenario. a fairly desirable blend of amenities.

April 18, 2022, 2:40 p.m.

I've met some folks involved with this org, but haven't dug into what they are doing yet. They seem like the folks to chat with for a fast primer on the topic of transportation cycling in TCV: https://cyclecv.com/

A couple related links [not sure if there are any more recent docs]:

- https://www.courtenay.ca/assets/Community/Transportation/final%20cycling%20plan%20dec%2007.pdf

- https://www.comox.ca/modx/assets/pdfs/public%20works/Transportation/2020%20Transportation%20Master%20Plan%20Update.pdf

Last edited by: Vikb on April 18, 2022, 2:46 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 23, 2022, 9:02 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

There are a bunch of puzzle pieces that need to fall into place but I can see a move happening in the next few years.

Things happened a bit faster than expected during our week in the valley and it looks like we'll be moving to Comox at the end of this summer 😳

We explored the local rental market a bit, initially just to get a feel for it, but we bumped into something that was available and within our parameters. We'll rent it for a year and see what happens.

It was really nice meeting and riding with Vik and his girlfriend and it's cool to already know people in our future neighbourhood 😀

Looking forward to exploring the area starting this fall!

April 23, 2022, 9:31 p.m.

Welcome to island life.

April 24, 2022, 6:35 a.m.

It was great to meet you and your lady Niels. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the area enough to take the plunge and rent a place. It will be nice to have both of you in the neighbourhood. We are 8 months into our new lives here in Comox and so far we are very happy about the change.

April 24, 2022, 3:47 p.m.

Let me know if y'all wanna check out some proper beaches ( srsly fuck tofino )

April 24, 2022, 5:23 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

this man knows what he is talking about!!

If you ever want to come slightly south, I'm good for providing shuttles or beverages and food suggestions!

Welcome to the our Island Fortress!

April 24, 2022, 5:43 p.m.

Posted by: Aeropusher

Posted by: Adam-West

this man knows what he is talking about!!

If you ever want to come slightly south, I'm good for providing shuttles or beverages and food suggestions!

Welcome to the our Island Fortress!

yall gunna come up an visit one of these days? Mr I have all the time in the world now.

April 24, 2022, 6:47 p.m.

Seriously though, have a look at some of the pics of Van. isle Adam has posted on nsmb over the years. Terrific stuff. The guy knows his beaches.

April 24, 2022, 7:03 p.m.

Sounds good guys. We're pretty stoked to start our island life.

We just got back in North Van and on the 5 min drive down Lonsdale Ave to our place we saw more people and cars than the entire past 9 days in Comox Valley.

Dec. 12, 2022, 9:51 a.m.

We're still not tired of waking up to this view: