Moving to Comox...

Dec. 14, 2021, 2:04 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

We had a look (on the internet) at apartments for rent in and around Comox. One "problem" we have is we currently have a really good deal here in North Van, we really lucked out with our landlord. He hasn't raised the rent since we moved in 9 years ago and has pretty much told us he won't. The result of that is that even in Comox every single place is more expensive than what we are currently paying. My partner remarked that for the difference in rent we could rent a nice airbnb in Comox for a couple of weeks every a year, lol. Something to think about.

If you are happy where you are then there is no compelling reason to move. If you do want to move I would not let a good deal on your current rent sway you unless you find the rents in the new place so high they are untenable. 

I'd rework your partner's comment this way for the cost of 2 weeks of AirBNB we can live in Comox 52 weeks a year! ;-)

Dec. 14, 2021, 3:38 p.m.

Posted by: Vikb

If you are happy where you are then there is no compelling reason to move. If you do want to move I would not let a good deal on your current rent sway you unless you find the rents in the new place so high they are untenable. 

I'd rework your partner's comment this way for the cost of 2 weeks of AirBNB we can live in Comox 52 weeks a year! ;-)

Ha ha yes you are right. It's more a luxury problem than anything else. As said before we're not in a rush and we'll just take our time to explore the area more as well as our options.

Dec. 14, 2021, 3:47 p.m.

Posted by: [email protected]

Ha ha yes you are right. It's more a luxury problem than anything else. As said before we're not in a rush and we'll just take our time to explore the area more as well as our options.

There is a significant rental housing shortage here in the Comox Valley right now as well, rents have probably increased by nearly 50% over the last two years. There are a number of multi-family developments currently in the works which may help relieve stress on the rental market and bring down the cost of rentals. Been pretty dog eat dog in the rental market here.

Last edited by: jbazett on Dec. 14, 2021, 4:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 14, 2021, 4:10 p.m.

Posted by: jbazett

There is a significant rental housing shortage here in the Comox Valley right now as well, rents have probably increased by nearly 50% over the last two years. There are a number of multi-family developments currently in the works which may help relieve stress on the rental market and bring down the cost of rentals. Been pretty dog eat dog in the rental market here.

Yes we had that impression while we looked online, there were several places under construction with waitlists for rental units.

Dec. 14, 2021, 4:40 p.m.

When we realized buying a house in Comox was going to be hard we thought we'll just rent for a year and take our time. Nope. The rental market wasn't any better. Our best idea was buying an older RV trailer and staying at an RV Park for as long as we needed. We have an old indoor cat and that didn't seem fair for her in her sunset years.

Dec. 14, 2021, 4:51 p.m.

When we realized buying a house in Comox was going to be hard we thought we'll just rent for a year and take our time. Nope. The rental market wasn't any better. Our best idea was buying an older RV trailer and staying at an RV Park for as long as we needed. We have an old indoor cat and that didn't seem fair for her in her sunset years.

5 years ago when I bought it wasn't any better (the rental market that is).
When we were looking to move there was all of 16 listings, half of which were wanted adds and the other 8 didn't allow pets.
It doesn't look like the rental situation has changed for the better in 5 years, and I don't expect it do be any better in the future to be honest, there's just too many people that will put up with this shit just so they can live here it seems.

I love the idea of van life (though id probably do it in a Unicat or something like those big Dakar race trucks) but we also have a cat in her golden years and that wouldn't be fair to her so I can relate to that. Maybe in the future I'll take out some equity and rent the place out to cover all the expenses and get one haha still sounds fun.

Dec. 14, 2021, 4:58 p.m.

My GF can retire in ~5 years [minimum age for her pension]. I figure our 17 year old cat won't be around then so the plan is definitely #VANlife. I'd like a cat free 10-15 years to get my last hurrah! done and then get my "last" cat and settle back in a more stable home life for the last stretch. If I can time it right I'll get the "last" cat and myself put down at the vet together. ;-)

I'm hoping they'll have some nice EV van options with decent range by that point. I like your Dakar Truck idea, but I can't maintain vehicles so I need something new-ish and low maintenance.

Last edited by: Vikb on Dec. 14, 2021, 4:58 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 15, 2021, 9:47 a.m.

If I can time it right I'll get the "last" cat and myself put down at the vet together. ;-)

That got dark. :D

Dec. 15, 2021, 11:54 a.m.

Posted by: jbazett

If I can time it right I'll get the "last" cat and myself put down at the vet together. ;-)

That got dark. :D

Can you imagine my cat's reaction? Damn human servant. You really are taking this whole best friend thing all the way!! ;-)

Dec. 15, 2021, 12:32 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

It doesn't look like the rental situation has changed for the better in 5 years, and I don't expect it do be any better in the future to be honest, there's just too many people that will put up with this shit just so they can live here it seems.

Gotta talk to Mailman about getting more apartments built.

Feb. 23, 2022, 4:17 p.m.

The first test run will be 9 days mid-April. Booked a fancy airbnb near downtown Courtenay. Seems like a practical, central location to get to know the area better.

Feb. 23, 2022, 5:55 p.m.

Go to cooks, riders pizza, and Cumberland brewing in Cumberland.

Go to Cumberland basically.

If you wanna go to some north island beaches hit me up.

Feb. 23, 2022, 7:57 p.m.

What's the job / rental market like out there?

Feb. 23, 2022, 8:15 p.m.

Awful

Feb. 23, 2022, 8:34 p.m.

But he can ski at Mt.Cain when it's going off!