Monopitch Roofs

July 23, 2020, 4:01 p.m.

If you have a decent drill you could just use a Tapcon screw or a wedge anchor.  Won't cost much and doesn't take long.

If you're building to code then find out what is allowed.

July 23, 2020, 9:40 p.m.

Posted by: Hepcat

Ok, all pumped up on Larry Haun videos. Ready to jump into lean to shed project. 

Um, anyone know how I attach the wood to the concrete lol? Everything I can find is built on skids, and I've got a poured slab. Can I screw it in with tapcon screws? Glue it down? Definitely don't have that hammer with the gunpowder action. Or any skills...

Also does a tin roof need felt or something under it or does it just nail right into the...whatever is supposed to be underneath it. 

Ooooh boy, this is gonna go great.

I was framing some walls in my first floor when I was down to the studs.

I bought the powder gun.  It was fun, and the smell of the 22 bullets brought back memories.  Super, crazy easy to use and not really much in the grand scheme of things.

July 25, 2020, 8:09 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

You can rent Hilti guns, ya know.

Just don't put yer dang eye out!

Tool rental place close by, if I rent the Hilti gun at least I won't have nightmares about the thing blowing away.

Shed door seems like the next hurdle. To get a proper tight seal you guys recommend buying a pre-made door?

Whenever I see videos of doors made of 2x4's and extra sheeting it seems a loose fit.

Hung a couple of doors in my house. Now 100% confident that creating a door frame and having a door fit in it properly will be a major miracle.

Last edited by: Hepcat on July 25, 2020, 8:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
July 27, 2020, 9:09 a.m.

If you don’t know what your doing your door will be terrible. Sounds like a pre-hung exterior door is a good idea for you. 

Site-made door might not meet local code without approval - I think fire rating and efficiency are their concerns.  I wanted to build a custom garage door for my place (I kinda know what I’m doing) but my contractor suggested I do it after I get my occupancy permit to avoid problems.

Aug. 3, 2020, 5:41 p.m.

a good option for anyone that doesn't want to pour any sort of foundation is to use screw piles - inexpensive and easy to install

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pylex-adjustable-32-inch-foundation-screw-black/1001312348