Monopitch Roofs

April 12, 2020, 1:09 a.m.

For the record, I have 45 amps sitting in a box outside my house waiting for a moment like this (that was permitted)... and I will pull a permit to get it to the shed at a later date.  But everything I've read says go ahead.

April 12, 2020, 1:19 a.m.

Bylaws.

Prepare to pay for permits and inspections, but check with the city for requirements.

As for the structure, maybe build the structure with a jack walk at the higher end as it should be simpler.

And minimum pitch should be 2:12 in this environment.

Here's a calculator for weight.  You still need to figure out what load the walls can handle:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/construction/snow-load

April 12, 2020, 8:42 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: syncro

That’s not really the shocking part. Basically you’re twice as big as you should be.

In relation to my skill-set or with the bylaws?

Ha! (that’s what she said)

10m^2 is 108sqft

April 12, 2020, 9:12 a.m.

If you want to teach yourself how to build structures, I recommend this book (or an earlier version to save money)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/017657042X/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

and the CMHC Wood-Frame House Construction as reliable guides for building in Canada.

Also Larry Haun videos, for entertainment and to stay humble once you think you know what you’re doing.

Last edited by: tashi on April 12, 2020, 9:14 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 12, 2020, 9:26 a.m.

Posted by: tashi

Also Larry Haun videos, for entertainment and to stay humble once you think you know what you’re doing.

Larry is da man! His vids are awesome and his hand nailing is mesmerizing.

April 12, 2020, 9:38 a.m.

That’s not really the shocking part. Basically you’re twice as big as you should be.

In relation to my skill-set or with the bylaws?

Ha! (that’s what she said)

10m^2 is 108sqft

Sweet lucifers tits did I fuck up that math.

Thanks.

April 12, 2020, 10:51 a.m.

Thanks.

Now my estimate of $60K all in probably makes more sense to you. For instance you're looking at somewhere around 5yds of concrete plus steel for the slab and foundation which is two pours so two trips with the truck and a pump unless you have a crew of Joeys with wheel barrows. One of the pitfalls of Whistler is costs are higher. However, I know a guy here in the city who could do it for much less if you're willing to put in some labour yourself.

If this was just a simple 10ft x 10ft shed I'd say follow tashi's suggestion and get a book and watch a Larry vid (or hepcat's vid) and just do it yourself, but your idea of a 14x16 powered shed/shop is a much bigger undertaking. In all honesty if you're going that big it would be worth investing what's the largest size garage/shop you can put in for your property, maybe even with a loft above to rent out. The cost will of course be higher, but not so far out of the way that if you consider potential rental income from the loft. It's worth spending some time on the phone with RMOW or going through the bylaws to see if it's possible.

April 12, 2020, 1:21 p.m.

I love how he can just throw a worm drive at a board and hit the mark perfectly and cut spyware every time. 

Me and a couple of the boys used to do routines all day long about “sturdy shoes” and how he and his brother really can’t stand each other...now I’m starting to miss the job site...

April 12, 2020, 1:21 p.m.

Thanks.

Now my estimate of $60K all in probably makes more sense to you. For instance you're looking at somewhere around 5yds of concrete plus steel for the slab and foundation which is two pours so two trips with the truck and a pump unless you have a crew of Joeys with wheel barrows. One of the pitfalls of Whistler is costs are higher. However, I know a guy here in the city who could do it for much less if you're willing to put in some labour yourself.

If this was just a simple 10ft x 10ft shed I'd say follow tashi's suggestion and get a book and watch a Larry vid (or hepcat's vid) and just do it yourself, but your idea of a 14x16 powered shed/shop is a much bigger undertaking. In all honesty if you're going that big it would be worth investing what's the largest size garage/shop you can put in for your property, maybe even with a loft above to rent out. The cost will of course be higher, but not so far out of the way that if you consider potential rental income from the loft. It's worth spending some time on the phone with RMOW or going through the bylaws to see if it's possible.

I knew something was up thinking they'd let me build that big.  I pegged the materials at $15k.  I've reached out to the muni to see what they need done for a bigger shed.  Might be giving you a call.

We've been planning on building a garage + loft but that shit's gonna be pricey.  Need to save up more for that one.

April 12, 2020, 1:35 p.m.

how do the sheds made from 2 seacans & roof trusses work out ?

how about for building regs ?

April 12, 2020, 1:54 p.m.

We've been planning on building a garage + loft but that shit's gonna be pricey.  Need to save up more for that one.

Be careful with that tho, if you put that large a workshop in then you may not have any allowance left for a garage and would have to take down the shop to put the garage in. That will come down to your lot size. 

You could build the garage without the loft in it and put it in at a later date to save $$$. If it’s just a single car garage the footprint won’t be that much bigger than your proposed shop so you would save money in the long run going bigger than what you need now. 

Check into it anyway and at least find out what the possibilities are. You may not even have the option of a garage with a loft.

April 12, 2020, 2:01 p.m.

I love how he can just throw a worm drive at a board and hit the mark perfectly and cut spyware every time. 

Me and a couple of the boys used to do routines all day long about “sturdy shoes” and how he and his brother really can’t stand each other...now I’m starting to miss the job site...

Yup. Working with a small competent crew was one of the best jobs ever. Pity that teenage self couldn't realize it. 

Love old legends like Larry. This was thoroughly enjoyable:

https://youtu.be/IQmt27qN6AI

April 12, 2020, 2:40 p.m.

Be careful with that tho, if you put that large a workshop in then you may not have any allowance left for a garage and would have to take down the shop to put the garage in. That will come down to your lot size. 

You could build the garage without the loft in it and put it in at a later date to save $$$. If it’s just a single car garage the footprint won’t be that much bigger than your proposed shop so you would save money in the long run going bigger than what you need now. 

Check into it anyway and at least find out what the possibilities are. You may not even have the option of a garage with a loft.

Already checked into it and we're good for the garage.  I'll for sure be asking if non-permanent shed counts towards the total.

April 12, 2020, 2:56 p.m.

Already checked into it and we're good for the garage.  I'll for sure be asking if non-permanent shed counts towards the total.

That’s the thing tho, a shed that size won’t be considered “non-permanent”, it would be an ancillary building and you may not be able to have both as per your zoning. If you cut the shed size back to 108sqft you’ll be fine. 

I’d just hate to see you spend the cash on the shed and then have to remove it later.

April 12, 2020, 6:09 p.m.

That’s the thing tho, a shed that size won’t be considered “non-permanent”, it would be an ancillary building and you may not be able to have both as per your zoning. If you cut the shed size back to 108sqft you’ll be fine. 

I’d just hate to see you spend the cash on the shed and then have to remove it later.

100%.  Will get full clarity on that one too.

I have a small house.. just let me build a man cave and a garage.  That's what Jesus would have wanted.