Monopitch Roofs

April 12, 2020, 7:38 p.m.

How about an underground bunker where you can blast the tunes and not piss anyone off?

April 12, 2020, 7:42 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

How about an underground bunker where you can blast the tunes and not piss anyone off?

No one lives here lol, no worries about that.

(And let me tell you about the time I tried to dig a 24" trench for a 50amp circuit... I tried using a shovel but it only went into the ground about 1/2 a centimeter.  The first day I used my hands and got about 6 feet done (best wrist workout ever).  Bought a mattock the next day and finished the rest in about two hours.  I'm pissed no one told me mountains are made out of rock).

April 14, 2020, 9:15 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Posted by: syncro

No one lives here lol, no worries about that.

(And let me tell you about the time I tried to dig a 24" trench for a 50amp circuit... I tried using a shovel but it only went into the ground about 1/2 a centimeter.  The first day I used my hands and got about 6 feet done (best wrist workout ever).  Bought a mattock the next day and finished the rest in about two hours.  I'm pissed no one told me mountains are made out of rock).

A mattock is a trail builder's best friend.  I tried to dig a small hole with a shovel to replant a Rhodo last year and was left wishing I had dynamite.  The dirt is only in the first centimeter to fool you.

April 14, 2020, 10:09 a.m.

What did you find out RM?  I would say you will need permits 100%, which means you need an engineer 100%.  That will at least take the guesswork out of your roof construction.  Whistler has a crazy high snow load requirement so I wouldn't doubt they advise you against your current design.  You have to consider the load and where it will shed.  Nothing ruins a day like 6 feet of snowcrete landing on your head.  My father in law is an engineer, he is from Whistler and specializes in snow loads.  He is semi-retired and only does consulting work, but he might know who to talk to.  I will ask him.

April 14, 2020, 11:05 a.m.

Thanks Chup.  syncro pointed out my absolutely epic failure at grade-school math, so I'm back to the drawing board.

I've sent a note out to the muni asking what's involved in building something larger than 10m2 and have yet to hear back from them.

April 15, 2020, 6:54 p.m.

Thanks Chup.  syncro pointed out my absolutely epic failure at grade-school math, so I'm back to the drawing board.

I've sent a note out to the muni asking what's involved in building something larger than 10m2 and have yet to hear back from them.

There may be no one at the muni office?

April 15, 2020, 7:42 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Chatting via email.

... well, got a response three days later, but it was someone asking someone else to reply to me.

April 16, 2020, 9:57 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Chatting via email.

... well, got a response three days later, but it was someone asking someone else to reply to me.

LOL.  In government employee jargon I think that is called "totally handled".

April 16, 2020, 6:49 p.m.

They are following the proper channels.

April 23, 2020, 10:54 a.m.

An FYI for permitting, ect, I'm not sure about the RMOWs requirements, but the City of Nanaimo has a nice little sample accessory building drawing package that is easy to follow. while the BCBC is a pain in the ass to read, it has everything in it to follow for building.

accessory buildings are quite simple and i have helped neighbours prepare plans that are slight modifications to the attached.

https://www.nanaimo.ca/docs/property-development/building-permits/accessorybuildingrequirements.pdf

Last edited by: mrraulduke on April 23, 2020, 10:55 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 23, 2020, 11:38 a.m.

Wow, that's great, thanks for that.

Crazy that you can build a 600ft2 building on a non-permanent foundation.  I thought 250 was pushing it...

April 23, 2020, noon

well, since it's an Accessory building it is deemed 'less dangerous' i assume, IE, not continuously occupied, people don't sleep in it, ect.

Good building practice is always encouraged, to prevent settlement, frost heaves, ect. a small strip footing isn't hard to make, and it's nive to have the 200mm concrete upstand to prevent rot of the wood framing, ect. Coupled with the info above, it isn't that hard to get the permits and build a shed / garage

I took a quick look at the RMOW website and i couldn't see a dedicated accessory building permit link / checklist, however i'm sure a quick email / call will get you the links. sadly, every city has a different website layout and none are easy.

July 23, 2020, 1:16 p.m.

Ok, all pumped up on Larry Haun videos. Ready to jump into lean to shed project. 

Um, anyone know how I attach the wood to the concrete lol? Everything I can find is built on skids, and I've got a poured slab. Can I screw it in with tapcon screws? Glue it down? Definitely don't have that hammer with the gunpowder action. Or any skills...

Also does a tin roof need felt or something under it or does it just nail right into the...whatever is supposed to be underneath it. 

Ooooh boy, this is gonna go great.

July 23, 2020, 1:38 p.m.

You can rent Hilti guns, ya know.

Just don't put yer dang eye out!

July 23, 2020, 2:16 p.m.

Ah, but faff.

What I should really be renting is a carpenter.