Money For Nothing To Be Censored in Canada

Jan. 13, 2011, 2:02 p.m.

Not really. If you look at the time the book was written black's in North America where slaves. Using the term is actually correct.

Some were, some weren't. Thus the term isn't correct. And he was escaped, so still a slave? I don't think so.

Elaboration here:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-january-11-2011/mark-twain-controversy

www.vitalmtb.com

Jan. 13, 2011, 2:07 p.m.

I think the number 2012 should be banned because it creates panic and fear.

Jan. 13, 2011, 2:24 p.m.

Unlikely … it's more a parody/lampooning of the blue-collar types who see a musician's work and figure it's easy, anyone can do it.

Given that microwave ovens for household use and MTV didn't exist, and colour TV was pretty new stuff when Dire Straits "made it big", the dialog in the lyrics just doesn't make sense as self-parody.

For those that didn't notice at the time (you know, in the 80s), DS actually did do a "radio version" of the song that I have heard a few times - the word "queenie" was substituted for "faggot" in that version.

Kn.

Ermmmm - MTV launched August 1, 1981

In 1965 Raytheon acquired Amana. In 1967 they introduced the first popular home model, the countertop Radarange, at a price of US$495.

Money for Nothing came out in 1985….

maybe we should censor you for lack of fact checking…

I have 21,474,850 rep points...

My blog - read it!

http://www.citizenclass.ca

Jan. 13, 2011, 2:37 p.m.

wow, so original….drop the left/right rhetoric, it has no place in this discussion you troll.

people who made this decision no doubt think they are being _liberal _

I call it being a control freak myself.

All this PC crap is doing is destroying free speech

I am half Irish do you think i care if somebody calls me an IRA Bogjumping coalcracker ?

sorry i am not going to whine about it

just like you calling me a troll ……carry on

BTW i pride myself in being a political atheist.

The in laws find this hilarious. They can think of far better things to waste the time and money on.

THATS WHAT GETS ME !!!!!!

think about it your average salary for a judge in Ontario for example is 120 grand a year so like it or not a big chunk of our tax dollars went up the chimney because some asshole was offended ……anyone else think maybe there were more pressing issues in the country?

Jan. 13, 2011, 2:44 p.m.

Ermmmm - MTV launched August 1, 1981

Money for Nothing came out in 1985….

maybe we should censor you for lack of fact checking…

You need to read what I said. I stated "before DIRE STRAITS made it big" not the song. Dire Straits was producing albums to popular acclaim in the mid-70s (sultans of swing - 1977). No MTV, microwaves were pretty rare, and colour TV was still for the rich folks.

And the word you mangled was "censure" -[HTML_REMOVED] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censure

Not to be confused with Censer, Censor (disambiguation), or Sensor.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 13, 2011, 2:45 p.m.

OMG this song won't play on the radio in Canada unedited any more? I guess it will never be heard again!!

Except for the massive resurgence of it appearing on everyone and their dog's mp3 player all over the country as it's now brought to everyone's attention as being 'banned'. Not mention a resurgence of use of the term in question now that the media has a hold of the story.

Good song though, best thing that could have happened for the Dire Straits with a track they wrote 31 years ago.

Jan. 13, 2011, 2:55 p.m.

It will likely be the most requested song on US border stations

Jan. 13, 2011, 2:55 p.m.

You need to read what I said. I stated "before DIRE STRAITS made it big" not the song. Dire Straits was producing albums to popular acclaim in the mid-70s (sultans of swing - 1977). No MTV, microwaves were pretty rare, and colour TV was still for the rich folks.

And the word you mangled was "censure" -[HTML_REMOVED] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censure

Kn.

OK - you got me on that…:lol:

IMO "Sultans of Swing" is one of the best tunes.

My blog - read it!

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:03 p.m.

Unlikely … it's more a parody/lampooning of the blue-collar types who see a musician's work and figure it's easy, anyone can do it.

Given that microwave ovens for household use and MTV didn't exist, and colour TV was pretty new stuff when Dire Straits "made it big", the dialog in the lyrics just doesn't make sense as self-parody.

For those that didn't notice at the time (you know, in the 80s), DS actually did do a "radio version" of the song that I have heard a few times - the word "queenie" was substituted for "faggot" in that version.

Kn.

But the "faggots" in question are the rock stars that get their money for nothing on MTV (i.e - The Dire Straights). I am not saying they are the movers, I meant that by faggots, they are describing themselves on MTV.

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:19 p.m.

THATS WHAT GETS ME !!!!!!

think about it your average salary for a judge in Ontario for example is 120 grand a year so like it or not a big chunk of our tax dollars went up the chimney because some asshole was offended ……anyone else think maybe there were more pressing issues in the country?

What's even funnier about it. Is that they are black and while they don't like the word. As they told me, it's just a word. And there are far more racist things going on then to be upset about it.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:24 p.m.

it's not correct though, cause the character had been freed/escaped and was no longer a slave.

Escaped doesn't mean free, it just means no one has caught you yet.

Being freed didn't exactly mean free either. One has to keep in mind that at that time in the US black's had very little in the way of rights. And have heard stories of slaves being freed by one owner then within days some one else grabs them. And back as slaves they go.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:25 p.m.

think about it your average salary for a judge in Ontario for example is 120 grand a year so like it or not a big chunk of our tax dollars went up the chimney because some asshole was offended ……

Yes, that's the only thing the judge did (or will do) all year. We paid 120k for one decision.

anyone else think maybe there were more pressing issues in the country?

Making Harper a homeless person comes to mind.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:48 p.m.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:51 p.m.

Yes, that's the only thing the judge did (or will do) all year. We paid 120k for one decision.

I never said that, so how much would _you_pay out of your pocket to have that song taken off the air?

Kn.

I doubt that will happen …….google the power corporation of Canada and note who sits on the board of directors and what parties they represent,,it might be a bit of a shock things may not be as polarized as you seem them.

Jan. 13, 2011, 3:57 p.m.

If I was a judge and only got paid $120 k/year, I'd quit. That's peanuts.

My blog - read it!