mold

Feb. 7, 2011, 8:57 a.m.

once we had the fire lit it dried up. the problem being, it's a long sled ride in and we dont get out there regularly. looking for a solution for the times we leave it for months at a time. even in the summer that area has coastal rains. there are a couple stumps out there with 3m diameters.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Feb. 7, 2011, 10:43 a.m.

I have never noticed moldy BC cabins in the interiour ,the only time I have experianced moldy cabins was on the coast ,we were surfing at skookumchuk we planned to tent but it rained so fucking much we rented what were just wooden garden sheds holding 2 bunks at the Back Eddy pub in egmont and they were very stinky/moldy even tho they were well built had proper shingled roofs but no heat

I assume there is no insulation,would a vapor barrier help ?

Feb. 7, 2011, 5:32 p.m.

XXX_er never spent much time in the ICH eh! think dome creek but wet ;)

maybe a vapor barrier under the floor, but its way too late for that. i think a lot of the moisture is coming in from the ground. maybe vents in the gable ends will help. though to be honest they are not really sealed tight.

I think the problem is that the thing is only a few inches off the ground.

Just a speculative fiction. No cause for alarm.

Feb. 7, 2011, 6 p.m.

If it was built with cedar, it would have been more resistant to the mold. There is something to be said for building with native materials.

Any extra venting will be negated once the cabin is buried in snow. as long as the cabin doesn't see regular use, condensation will always be an enemy. No matter how tight you seal a building, humidity will always find a way in.

Another thing is that the insulation should be on the outside(cold side) of your vapour barrier. This goes for both the roof and walls. It wont stop condensation completely, but it should help a bit. The Floor shouldn't be sealed, as any moisture that gets in there, needs a path to exit, or you will have mold growth.

Another option is just use the cabin more……..What could possibly go wrong?

Feb. 7, 2011, 7:20 p.m.

The VOC installed a solar powered computer fan in the Phelix Hut along with a solar heat exchanger contraption. The fan blows heated (when the sun is shining) air into the hut. Even without the heat exchanger, I'll bet just having some air circulation would help keep the humidity down.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Feb. 7, 2011, 7:33 p.m.

I second the dri-z-air stuff. I use it when I store my travel trailer and it makes a huge difference.