modern trucks and the tacoma mystique

Nov. 19, 2019, 10:22 a.m.

Blows my mind how many people buy pickups that don't really have a day-to-day need for a pickup.  Ffs, for the two days a year you need to actually haul a load, or tow something heavy, just rent the damn truck.  Buy something that costs a lot less to buy, run and maintain.

Nov. 19, 2019, 11:36 a.m.

If i was down there commuting I'd probably go hybrid or EV but charging stations allowing you to drive anywhere are not quite here yet, also  I've lunched 2 oil pans up here  so clearance and 4x4 in the snow is a good thing

Nov. 19, 2019, 2:58 p.m.

No love for the Tundra? I'll be getting another one for sure

Nov. 19, 2019, 3:42 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Blows my mind how many people buy pickups that don't really have a day-to-day need for a pickup.  Ffs, for the two days a year you need to actually haul a load, or tow something heavy, just rent the damn truck.  Buy something that costs a lot less to buy, run and maintain.

Believe it or not, we could attribute a large portion of sales just to driver seat height. Most people dont want to their head down low at something else's bumper height.

Nov. 19, 2019, 3:57 p.m.

Constantly being at or above max payload capacity in a Taco must be fun. 🙄

I’m waiting for the Tesla truck release. If I likewhat I see I’ll go that route. If not a 1-ton Ram or Sierra Diesel will likely happen. 

Rivian is a laugh with a 4’10 length box.  Likely couldn’t fit a bmx in that box. Taco fanboys will be jealous of the price.

Nov. 20, 2019, 12:22 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Believe it or not, we could attribute a large portion of sales just to driver seat height. Most people dont want to their head down low at something else's bumper height.

Tis why SUVs sell so well.

Maybe there police should clamp down more on the bad headlight settings of trucks - especially raised ones.

Nov. 21, 2019, 10:51 p.m.

Tesla truck is “out” (let’s see when they’re actually available in quantity).

Super weird looking but I’m into it. Starts at $40k USD, I wonder what a normal build will end up at.

Fast. 500k range. Four doors and a short box, but I’m guessing it’s longer than the Rivian. 

Ridgeline owners will be stoked that some is getting hated on more than them.

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 21, 2019, 10:55 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 21, 2019, 11:30 p.m.

Starts at 40 the trip motor awd is gunna be 70.  

It definitely looks different which is cool, unlike all the new domestics which pretty much look alike at this point. I like that they went way out in left field with the styling, it's 2020 soon let's look the part hah

Nov. 22, 2019, 1:53 a.m.

Posted by: switch

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Blows my mind how many people buy pickups that don't really have a day-to-day need for a pickup. Ffs, for the two days a year you need to actually haul a load, or tow something heavy, just rent the damn truck. Buy something that costs a lot less to buy, run and maintain.

Tis why SUVs sell so well.

Maybe there police should clamp down more on the bad headlight settings of trucks - especially raised ones.

Bad headlights in general! But I do get a decent lol while seeing the one headlight shoot way off top right when the conditions permit.

But if I could have one wish for cop's to focus on, it'd be the 3rd and 4th through the red lights - its a gold mine if they treated it and priced it like cell phones. 1&2 get an a shady in the crosswalk or having to clear the intersection by but sweet jeebus I've folded mirrors in by hand as I walk by. If they werent delicious and over priced, I'd throw my mocha on a windshield (and ya, probably cause someone to drive off the road but my point might be proved!).

Last edited by: aShogunNamedMarcus on Nov. 22, 2019, 1:53 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 22, 2019, 7:44 p.m.

There was a Rivian R1T hanging around the Island a month ago, pretty cool.

I'll get another used Frontier though, don't know how people justify these blinged up $50k+ rigs.

Nov. 22, 2019, 8:29 p.m.

Here you go Mr. West:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/22/tesla-cybertruck-impressions-ride/

Nov. 22, 2019, 10:59 p.m.

The blue Rivian is a nice colour. They’re shooting an ad for it. Probably all the things one can put in a 4’10” box. 😂

Nov. 24, 2019, 10:20 a.m.

According to this like 70% of truck owners never tow, haul or go off road

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/you-dont-need-a-full-size-pickup-truck-you-need-a-cowboy-costume?fbclid=IwAR00gMEFHSd6mtgFN6Ql3yqw01r-0PnUvgUYqNu6eu8_XA2bOKz546TRgFQ

Nov. 24, 2019, 12:28 p.m.

Seems like some folks believe that the only reasons to drive a truck are either to do work or look like you do work. 

Never mind how good they are at doing regular family stuff, carrying toys and people, moving furniture, taking care of your yard, giving a comfy cabin, dealing with bad weather and roads...

Nov. 24, 2019, 1:19 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Seems like some folks believe that the only reasons to drive a truck are either to do work or look like you do work. 

Never mind how good they are at doing regular family stuff, carrying toys and people, moving furniture, taking care of your yard, giving a comfy cabin, dealing with bad weather and roads...

Because that represents the majority of driving the average person or truck owner does?