modern trucks and the tacoma mystique

Nov. 24, 2019, 2:10 p.m.

Not sure what you're getting at.

My point is that the "You don't work, therefore a truck is just a silly fashion/identity choice" as per that article (complete with a dick joke) is a silly argument as full-size trucks are good family/fun/homeowner vehicles. Particularly when they have four doors and reasonable fuel economy.

Last edited by: tashi on Nov. 24, 2019, 2:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Nov. 24, 2019, 4:18 p.m.

No kidding right?

Use the company vehicle for work.

Nov. 25, 2019, 3:28 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Seems like some folks believe that the only reasons to drive a truck are either to do work or look like you do work. 

I have a couple pair of Carhartts which will do that for way cheaper

Nov. 27, 2019, 8:39 p.m.

Posted by: Kevin26

According to this like 70% of truck owners never tow, haul or go off road

https://www.thedrive.com/news/26907/you-dont-need-a-full-size-pickup-truck-you-need-a-cowboy-costume?fbclid=IwAR00gMEFHSd6mtgFN6Ql3yqw01r-0PnUvgUYqNu6eu8_XA2bOKz546TRgFQ

Like 70% of female Subaru owners aren’t full fledged muff divers either.

Nov. 27, 2019, 9:10 p.m.

My point is that the "You don't work, therefore a truck is just a silly fashion/identity choice" as per that article (complete with a dick joke) is a silly argument as full-size trucks are good family/fun/homeowner vehicles. Particularly when they have four doors and reasonable fuel economy.

what I was getting at is that anecdotally it seems that there are a lot of people with trucks who primarily use them as cars.

Nov. 27, 2019, 11:28 p.m.

You should go top smalltown BC.  Trucks rule, even for moms that just need to go to the store for milk.

Nov. 28, 2019, 7:01 a.m.

A "prince george sports car" is a super cab pickup,the GM dealer in smithers is not a big looking lot but they sell 1000 trucks a month all over the province by phone/fax/interenet and i was talking to the guy who delivers the vehicals, apparently they don't even count the cars on a salesman's quota 

so if you scan the lot at safeway/liqor store/bank yes there are long box work trucks but way more family haulers, and alot those full sized PU's have a crew cab/shortest box pretty much just like or even shorter than a midsized truck, roll-up box covers are getting really popular

yeah a truck burns more gas but the commute is 5-10 minutes not 45-90 min so the fuel costs are lowish and besides a house costs 1/3rd of the price it would in Vangroovy so buddy can afford it

junior has a 3500/coal rolling chipped cumins,/6 spd standard/crew cab/8ft box that shudders from stop sign to stop sign, its so fucking big & gnarly my daughter-in-law can't drive it, but you can tow almost anything and not feel what you are towing back there

Last edited by: XXX_er on Nov. 28, 2019, 9:26 a.m., edited 6 times in total.
Nov. 28, 2019, 9:30 a.m.

I think a lot of people do fit into this category.  I have an old Frontier, but it sucks towing my boat and if I did it more often I would probably get a bigger truck even if I don't haul stuff for work.  I see more posers claiming their truck is for work than people who claim one for leisure that never use them as such.  We all know the guys with F-350's jacked to the moon and they might work in an industry that needs trucks, but not their truck.  It's not like the guys working salary jobs on the oil rigs have to use their trucks to haul shit around.  It's just to look badass in the parking lot.

Nov. 28, 2019, 10:25 a.m.

I hear tell back in the day if you had a truck burning diesel which is of course gona be a big truck you could fill up the tank at the rig but that kind of excess might have gone by the wayside

Nov. 28, 2019, 11:45 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I hear tell back in the day if you had a truck burning diesel which is of course gona be a big truck you could fill up the tank at the rig but that kind of excess might have gone by the wayside

LOL.  Ya, everything seems to be by the book these days.  I bet it is tough to pull that scam off anymore.  Probably Trudeau's fault.

Nov. 28, 2019, 12:43 p.m.

I was doing a little bit of running the stick on a survey crew and I had to do 2 safety  meetings in one day just to get on the job sites which were almost as long as the jobs themselves what with the watching video's the questionaires and shit, yup by the book,a safety meeting used to mean something entirely different

god forbid anybody acknowledges THAT far and away, by a long shot, the big problem IS, the world price of oil

Jason Kenny needs to get us 100 $ a barrel oil and everything will be good

so we can proceed to piss it all away

again

Dec. 10, 2019, 9:30 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

I was doing a little bit of running the stick on a survey crew and I had to do 2 safety  meetings in one day just to get on the job sites which were almost as long as the jobs themselves what with the watching video's the questionaires and shit, yup by the book,a safety meeting used to mean something entirely different

god forbid anybody acknowledges THAT far and away, by a long shot, the big problem IS, the world price of oil

Jason Kenny needs to get us 100 $ a barrel oil and everything will be good

so we can proceed to piss it all away

again

Why can't they have a certification that checks off 95% of that shit by flashing a card?  Then all you need to know is where the muster station is, and maybe review a daily checklist.  I go to construction sites all the time and the safety meetings have gotten crazier by the year, but most of it is the same over and over.

Dec. 10, 2019, 4:36 p.m.

Yeah the certification card is a good idea^^

All them safety meetings might be erring on the side of too much but OTOH maybe it saves a life ?

when a man (or woman ) goes to work and doesn't come home its a tragedy and pretty rough for the people he leaves behind

I got a bud who was killed running the stick as a direct result of the giturdun philosophy, pushing the weather, no mtn safety plan, no mountain pro, no aviy gear, no nothing, no body had to account for it and 7 years later oct is still a bad time for his family

July 16, 2020, 8:12 p.m.

Anyone had a look at the new Ford Bronco?

July 16, 2020, 9:16 p.m.

Posted by: Brocklanders

Anyone had a look at the new Ford Bronco?

They did a good job with it definitely better than I thought they would do. Definitely the best domestic off roader going now. Almost makes up for the pathetic ranger, but I guess they couldn't hurt the f150 sales