Mining in BC

June 1, 2013, 6:24 a.m.

Looks better than any Russian city.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 4, 2013, 6:10 p.m.

Looks better than any Russian city.

you've never been to st. petersburg

Aug. 4, 2013, 9 p.m.

People always seem to forget where things come from. Say no to mining, sent from my iphone. Where do you think your prius batteries and your fixie come from[HTML_REMOVED]? trees?

The thing is, unless people start cutting down on their consumption and demand for ridiculous items like new cars every 2 yrs, new phones, blah blah then they have no leg to stand on when it comes to mining. If we "need" these materials, then we need to mine them. If we mine them, fuck being a NIMBY, it should be done here. THe regulations in canada (these days) are ridiculous. So much paperwork and environmental assessment even to dig a hole to take a shit in the woods, let alone open a mine. ANd despite that, many companies are willing to invest billions here. And yet, everyone says, not in my backyard. So all that metal we need now gets mined in the next guys backyard. The 3rd world, no political backup, no options guys that now are getting expropriated from their homes and since they are in buttfuck nowhere indo or africa, way slacker environmental standards, so shit just gets dumped into the rivers, etc. So overall, more pollution and disturbance to the earth and none of the money getting funnelled through our local economies. Yeah, thats way better.

I guess all I'm saying, is protest or change the actual problem (our consumption/waste) and not the means (the mine)

Aug. 4, 2013, 9:51 p.m.

People always seem to forget where things come from. Say no to mining, sent from my iphone. Where do you think your prius batteries and your fixie come from[HTML_REMOVED]? trees?

The thing is, unless people start cutting down on their consumption and demand for ridiculous items like new cars every 2 yrs, new phones, blah blah then they have no leg to stand on when it comes to mining. If we "need" these materials, then we need to mine them. If we mine them, fuck being a NIMBY, it should be done here. THe regulations in canada (these days) are ridiculous. So much paperwork and environmental assessment even to dig a hole to take a shit in the woods, let alone open a mine. ANd despite that, many companies are willing to invest billions here. And yet, everyone says, not in my backyard. So all that metal we need now gets mined in the next guys backyard. The 3rd world, no political backup, no options guys that now are getting expropriated from their homes and since they are in buttfuck nowhere indo or africa, way slacker environmental standards, so shit just gets dumped into the rivers, etc. So overall, more pollution and disturbance to the earth and none of the money getting funnelled through our local economies. Yeah, thats way better.

I guess all I'm saying, is protest or change the actual problem (our consumption/waste) and not the means (the mine)

great post. This post could be in a lot of threads.

Aug. 4, 2013, 10:30 p.m.

So cute.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:04 p.m.

Too true, my best mate is working over in Mali and Ghana at the moment doing safety work. The shit they get away with doing in some parts of the world would scare the shit out of you from what I hear.

Aug. 5, 2013, 8:38 a.m.

you've never been to st. petersburg

nope only made it as far as Lithuania.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 27, 2015, 11:30 a.m.

Million Liter Cyanide Spill in Argentina Highlights Canadian Mining Crimes

Also...

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Sept. 27, 2015, 5:09 p.m.

Million Liter Cyanide Spill in Argentina Highlights Canadian Mining Crimes

Also...

So you're directly implying that it's Canada's responsibility for Barrick's fail. Ok cool.

So I can assume it's Germany's responsibility for the VW emissions cheating, and the United Kingdom's for BP's Gulf of Mexico train-wreck.

I bet the latter hasn't curtailed your car habits, just as this Barrick fail won't.even.register with those who have a wedding ring, a phone, a computer, ….

Sept. 27, 2015, 5:20 p.m.

Isn't bp British?

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Sept. 27, 2015, 5:41 p.m.

Isn't bp British?

glare yes… .rabble.rabble.

Sept. 27, 2015, 5:50 p.m.

Too true, my best mate is working over in Mali and Ghana at the moment doing safety work. The shit they get away with doing in some parts of the world would scare the shit out of you from what I hear.

What I didn't manage photograph is the picture of the raw welding wires literally jammed into a 220v breaker.

Oh, he's also in an inch of standing water.

Had to get my camera out before he decided my yelling at him to stop was serious.

Oct. 2, 2015, 8:14 p.m.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/10/02/aristotles-homeland-canadian-mining-giant-fights-ban-get-its-gold

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Oct. 2, 2015, 11:13 p.m.

So what does any of this have to do with mining in bc?

How many mines have you been to in this province in the last 10 years?

Pastor of Muppets

Oct. 3, 2015, 8:46 a.m.

So what does any of this have to do with mining in bc?

This.

Tungsten, if you want to debate the merits of mining with focus on the contentious sides of global mining, start another thread.

You can start by asking (and commenting on) if it's a Canadian responsibility to manage the actions of Canadian companies operating overseas. a la; BP, VW, Nestle, etc.