Mining in BC

May 31, 2013, 9:29 a.m.

Just thought some would find this interesting. Quite a few people on this board have voiced their negative opinions towards mining. If it ain't farmed it's mined folks!

May 31, 2013, 9:32 a.m.

Wow mining is so pretty and shiny!

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 31, 2013, 9:33 a.m.

They missed one huge area; energy.

All that energy consumed by the mine has to come from somewhere.

May 31, 2013, 9:34 a.m.

So does all the shit people demand.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

May 31, 2013, 9:39 a.m.

Sell a little less electricity to the States, start using the 100+ year of CNG reserves BC is sitting on

May 31, 2013, 9:40 a.m.

Wow mining is so pretty and shiny!

No but neither is your house, your car, or your mountain bike. And more then likely, the land being mined will reclaimed and returned closer to nature sooner then any of your properties will.

May 31, 2013, 9:43 a.m.

A certain mine opening up in the BC interior will be sourced from 100% renewable energy. It's not like were burning coal or melting down uranium.

May 31, 2013, 9:50 a.m.

How cool is it that industry, backed by our hypercon government, is adopting the same design concepts as soviet era communist propaganda posters?

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 31, 2013, 9:53 a.m.

Sell a little less electricity to the States, start using the 100+ year of CNG reserves BC is sitting on

From what I've read the US is in an over supply situation, they've built so much windpower in the last decade in the Western states they aren't importing as much as they used to.

Also, their economy has been slow too, which reduces demand.

May 31, 2013, 10 a.m.

Mining has given me a paycheck for the last 2 years, I say bring on more exploration and mines!

May 31, 2013, 10:10 a.m.

Mining has supported my family last 9 years, living in NV working in Van….DT Van has many many jobs directly related to mining.

May 31, 2013, 10:32 a.m.

Mining, when done in a responsible manner, is not a problem. The problem lies where people get the engineering wrong or there are no environmental regulations or the existing regulations are not followed. In these cases the mining company thinks that it is making easy money and the guys who live in the towns and make big money are happy. What they dont realise is that all of the damage has to rectified and if the company doesnt pay for it the taxpayer does, that means you.

So for all the people who say the greenies have too much power need to realise that actually they are saving the province money. If you don't believe me, look at Giant mine in Yellowknife.

May 31, 2013, 10:57 a.m.

Mining, when done in a responsible manner, is not a problem. The problem lies where people get the engineering wrong or there are no environmental regulations or the existing regulations are not followed. In these cases the mining company thinks that it is making easy money and the guys who live in the towns and make big money are happy. What they dont realise is that all of the damage has to rectified and if the company doesnt pay for it the taxpayer does, that means you.

So for all the people who say the greenies have too much power need to realise that actually they are saving the province money. If you don't believe me, look at Giant mine in Yellowknife.

Lot's of things that were done close to a century ago aren't acceptable today. I agree with most of your post, but the greenies also have too much power when they stop mining's production. Britannia beach was one of the most contaminated places on earth. This was due to extensive acid leaching. Several companies came forward and offered to clean up the area, all at their costs, if they were allowed to keep the copper trapped in the filtration process/mine tailings. But because it would have to then be considered mining, it wasn't even allowed a reading. Instead you're paying for the plant to be operated, and thousands of dollars of copper are buried in a pit everyday. Because of greenies power.

May 31, 2013, 11:19 a.m.

Lot's of things that were done close to a century ago aren't acceptable today. I agree with most of your post, but the greenies also have too much power when they stop mining's production. Britannia beach was one of the most contaminated places on earth. This was due to extensive acid leaching. Several companies came forward and offered to clean up the area, all at their costs, if they were allowed to keep the copper trapped in the filtration process. But because it would have to then be considered mining, it wasn't even allowed a reading. Instead you're paying for the plant to be operated, and thousands of dollars of copper are buried in a pit everyday. Because of greenies power.

In addition to this. The water was acidic containing elevated heavy metals long before miners arrived. Touring with the local first nations elders every beach we stopped at along the sea to sky they said, and so and so village lived here, and here, and here, except for here, britannia beach, the water here was always bad, so we have no ancestors here. Acid rock drainage isn't just caused by mining, it's part of nature. poor mining practices of the past have accelerated acid rock drainage, but we learned, we changed, we keep moving on. We didn't stop improving cars after the Model-T, similarly we didn't stop at the Model-T of mining either.

"You know what's wrong with Vancouver? You can't pee off of your own balcony without getting in trouble"
- Phil Gordon

May 31, 2013, 11:21 a.m.

Lot's of things that were done close to a century ago aren't acceptable today. I agree with most of your post, but the greenies also have too much power when they stop mining's production. Britannia beach was one of the most contaminated places on earth. This was due to extensive acid leaching. Several companies came forward and offered to clean up the area, all at their costs, if they were allowed to keep the copper trapped in the filtration process. But because it would have to then be considered mining, it wasn't even allowed a reading. Instead you're paying for the plant to be operated, and thousands of dollars of copper are buried in a pit everyday. Because of greenies power.

BS

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.