Military burns killer colonel's uniform

Nov. 19, 2010, 3:17 p.m.

BELLEVILLE, Ont. - CFB Trenton staff have burned every piece of former colonel Russell Williams' military clothing, documentation and equipment they could find in his Tweed, Ont., home.

Such items are Crown property and must be returned to the military upon a person's departure from the military service, said Canadian Forces spokesman Cmdr. Hubert Genest.

But since Williams is now in the Kingston Penitentiary, he couldn't return them personally.

Williams was in command of Canadian Forces Base Trenton when he was arrested on Feb. 7.

On Oct. 18, Williams pleaded guilty in Belleville, Ont., court to 88 charges, including the murders of Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 37, of Brighton, Ont., and Jessica Lloyd, 27, of Belleville; sex attacks on two Tweed, Ont., women; and break-ins and thefts in the Ottawa, Tweed and Belleville areas dating back to 2007.

He was sentenced Oct. 21 to serve concurrent life sentences in prison.

Two CFB Trenton personnel and two military police officers removed the items from Williams' home on Wednesday. They made a careful inventory and locked the goods in a secure place on the base for the night.

Those same staffers were present when the inventory was burned privately Thursday, said Genest.

"There was no ceremony but it was formal. We're not going to celebrate, but we're going to do it right. Everything's accounted for," he said.

Genest said only a few small items were missing and the military has removed a "small amount" of money from Williams' account as reimbursement. That's in accordance with military procedure, he said.

Officials have also arranged to retrieve Williams' medals and his commission scroll. The medals will be destroyed but details on the scroll's fate weren't immediately available.

Genest also said Williams' official, final ejection from the Canadian Forces will occur within days.

Though the military revoked the convicted killer's rank last month, Genest said Friday the military is very nearly finished with the former colonel.

"We're really in the final lines of the final chapter," Genest said.

Genest said only a few more steps must be taken before Williams is officially out of the service, including a short medical exam.

"We are arranging with the prison facility to make that happen over the next few days," said Genest. "We just need a general status of your health to close your medical file."

Genest added a standard process is now underway that requires Williams to repay his military salary received after the date of his arrest. But his military pension continues.

"No change there," Genest said. "According to current rules he's entitled to his pension."

Why is he getting his pension? The guy is a murderer. This just doesn't seem right.

That money should go to victims' families.

Nov. 19, 2010, 3:29 p.m.

In case you didn't follow this story… this is what he did:

He used a torch to beat her, before sexually assaulting her. He taped over her mouth and nose, continuing to take photographs as she suffocated, the court heard.

Before she died, prosecutor David Thompson said she had told her attacker: "Have a heart, please. I've been really good. I want to live."

Williams spotted his second victim while driving near a cottage he owned.

He entered Jessica Lloyd's home on 28 January, having waited until his victim was asleep. He tied Ms Lloyd up, put tape over her face and repeatedly raped her, while taking photographs.

A day and a half after starting the attack, Williams strangled his victim with a rope after she had pleaded for her life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11577048

Nov. 19, 2010, 3:43 p.m.

Why is he getting his pension? The guy is a murderer. This just doesn't seem right.

Curious if you think Williams wife should be entitled to some of the money? She was married to him for 20 years….or is she guilty too for being married to him?

I do not believe the money should go to him…so please don't come to that conclusion from my statement above.

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:10 p.m.

I don't think the wife is guilty, she probably didn't know. But I also don't think she should be entitled to that money, because they are a family unit and what he did is terrible, even if that money went to victims' families, it wouldn't be enough.

The wife, is a victim only if she knew or strongly suspected he was something other than what appearances showed. Which would then make her guilty for not doing something about it. Catch 22, isn't it? That is why I don't think she should get the money.

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:14 p.m.

I don't think the wife is guilty, she probably didn't know. But I also don't think she should be entitled to that money

so if your dad was a killer then you(sibs too) and your mom should be broke and on welfare?

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:20 p.m.

Lets say the dude gets a pension of 5k a month. Split that up between the 2 families and then they split it among themselves….personally I would not want a monthly reminder that some fuck nut killed my kid or sister or mother by sending me a check for $500 a month….send me a body part monthly sure…finger one month, arm the next type of thing…but a check, no thanks.

now factor in that my tax dollars are paying for him to be in jail…I think If he is gonna be in jail maybe he should have to pay his own way if intitled to funds(his wife legally might not be intitled to the full amount anyhow)

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:24 p.m.

actually I wonder if any inmate that is entitled to funds should pay there own way in the prison system. If there is money left over they should have to pay for the prosecution lawyers and court time….if they are found later on to be wrongly imprisoned then they get get their money back..

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:29 p.m.

so if your dad was a killer then you(sibs too) and your mom should be broke and on welfare?

These are hard questions Bryan. There is a lot of gray area but I'll stand firm, feel free to stab. I can only speak theoretically (lucky for me) that I would prefer to be on welfare and have that money go to victims families than to keep that money. What he did was atrocious. While the wife isn't guilty of anything (except perhaps not noticing, but that is pure speculation), she is also not nearly as much of a victim as those who he murdered. I do think that money should go to victims' families.

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:33 p.m.

actually I wonder if any inmate that is entitled to funds should pay there own way in the prison system. If there is money left over they should have to pay for the prosecution lawyers and court time….if they are found later on to be wrongly imprisoned then they get get their money back..

I like that too, inmates should pay for their stay there. But what motivation do they have to do so? I'd imagine the vast majority of crimimals aren't wealthy and would refuse to work just to pay for their stay. They'd say "what are you going to evict me?". Right? So how do you separate those?

BTW While receiving funds monthly as a reminder may suck for victims, I am sure arrangements could be made to make a lump-sum payment through some finance geek set up. And body parts would be nice, but obviously it would do the same, it would remind you of what happened.

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:34 p.m.

BUT, in this case the money's all gov't money and thus your money.

Chief Running Tab

"My bike is just like yours except mine has monkeys on it!"

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:47 p.m.

now factor in that my tax dollars are paying for him to be in jail…I think If he is gonna be in jail maybe he should have to pay his own way if intitled to funds(his wife legally might not be intitled to the full amount anyhow)

Unfortunately Williams isn't doing his 2 years less a day at Detention Barracks Edmonton- aka Club Ed first. He would get 3 meals a day- 2 slices of bread with margarine and all the water the member desires, can't talk unless he has earned it, and gets to do lots of labour- stuff like scrubbing rusty metal garbage cans till they shine.

Dammit I want a refund.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 19, 2010, 4:50 p.m.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=131764[HTML_REMOVED]highlight=olson

The reality is that unless there is a major parliamentary debate and subsequent changes to CPP rules. This will continue to occur.

Oh, and let me guess… Your outraged?

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 19, 2010, 5 p.m.

I like that too, inmates should pay for their stay there. But what motivation do they have to do so? I'd imagine the vast majority of crimimals aren't wealthy and would refuse to work just to pay for their stay.

I would be speaking of funds that come from the goverment coffers(CPP or Military pensions, etc)or public pensions. If an imate is entitled to funds then they should pay.

I think all inmates should have jobs inside the jails to pay there way…

Nov. 19, 2010, 5:13 p.m.

His pension should go to his wife. It is half hers and she didn't do anything wrong. By all accounts he did a very good job hiding what he was up to. You might want to give the pension to the victims and I guess I can see that feeling. But ultimately by taking the pension away from his wife you are punishing someone for a crime they didn't commit.

vegetarian: an ancient word for "likes to stay home with the ladies…"

Nov. 19, 2010, 6 p.m.

his wife deserves the money and joe kickass = stupppid