Mid-size truck (Tacoma, etc.) - short bed or long bed?

Aug. 21, 2020, 9:34 a.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

The frames are stacked up like cord wood behind the dealer and they just give you a new one on warranty, I think its a 40hr job probably a good charge back for the dealer to Toyota, the local dealer will call you up thru that week and say this is also fucked up what do you wana do ?

the " its a toyota " thing never happened for me, IME shit still wore out, I got my 90 at 96,000 kms, stuff broke then it was pretty good between 200,000 and 300,000 and then it needed big repairs

I should have dumped it at around 275,000, I noticed there were alot of used 4-runers for sale with 275,000 kms

at the end it was averaging 1100 $ a month for fuel & repairs on a 10 yr old SUV,

it cost me the same $ to buy/run a brand new VW TDi

New frame wasn't happening for me when I still had my Tacoma. Had it looked at and all they offered was undercoat (lol). I didn't have rot holes but it was heading in that direction. Even if I was eligible it was a long process and I'd be paying for all the other broken & worn out parts. 05 & 06 had a thin spot where the motor mount tabs are welded on, they were prone to punching through the frame (lol). My engine (4.0L) had a bad knock on cold starts, upper ball joints and steering rack were thrashed and the autotragic was doing weird shit so I took the $11k trade value with a big smile on my face.

Aug. 21, 2020, 11:18 a.m.

I’ve heard 2021 Taco sales tactic is a free Arcteryx 3L Gore Jacket with all TRD Pros in BC. 🤔

My dad got the 2020 ZR2 Colorado Duramax. That truck slaps yo. 31” Duratracs, stock rock sliders, I think there’s lockers in there. He added a folding tonneau cover and a bike rack soon. 

Fronti/Xterra beauty is the Titan swap extra wheel travel, wider stance all without going up so high. Mostly done with stock parts too.

Aug. 21, 2020, 12:05 p.m.

@Adam-West - You got your parts for the T-swap yet, or what? :-P

Dozer - unless you feel the need to get really crawl-y offroad, not a lot of downsides to the longbed? For me it was the only option with enough space to fit bikes/gear in the back. I'm not leaving a bike on a rack... anywhere, really. Which makes any kind of road trip a real challenge. With the longbed, everything fits in the interior. 

And, unless you're of below-average height, you're probably not going to sleep in the back of a shortbed. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3THaNugVoj/

Aug. 21, 2020, 12:12 p.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

Dozer - unless you feel the need to get really crawl-y offroad, not a lot of downsides to the longbed? For me it was the only option with enough space to fit bikes/gear in the back. I'm not leaving a bike on a rack... anywhere, really. Which makes any kind of road trip a real challenge. With the longbed, everything fits in the interior. 

And, unless you're of below-average height, you're probably not going to sleep in the back of a shortbed. 

Been following you awhile, didn't realise you're here too!

Aug. 21, 2020, 1:32 p.m.

Posted by: cooperquinn

Not yet but I got a swing out tire carrier to weld together just as soon as I get off this friggin ship.

Aug. 21, 2020, 1:44 p.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

I’ve heard 2021 Taco sales tactic is a free Arcteryx 3L Gore Jacket with all TRD Pros in BC. 🤔

My dad got the 2020 ZR2 Colorado Duramax. That truck slaps yo. 31” Duratracs, stock rock sliders, I think there’s lockers in there. He added a folding tonneau cover and a bike rack soon. 

Fronti/Xterra beauty is the Titan swap extra wheel travel, wider stance all without going up so high. Mostly done with stock parts too.

I know this thread is about pickups.. but damn if the new bronco doesn't pique my interest. 

And yeah I can't wait to titan swap haha. Could have done it this year but the stupid house needed new windows more than I needed over a foot of suspension travel lol

Aug. 22, 2020, 7:29 a.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

I know this thread is about pickups.. but damn if the new bronco doesn't pique my interest. 

Those do look really cool. Would you be able to fit a bike rack on the back of one of those? or does the placement of the spare wheel get in the way?

Aug. 22, 2020, 1:38 p.m.

I have no idea but I gaurantee you there will be bike racks made for it.

Aug. 23, 2020, 9:08 a.m.

I've been driving my 2007 Tundra for almost 5 years now. I've had to do some maintenance but was able to do most of it myself saving thousands but I can see why buying new can be appealing for most people. I made the decision to budget $2000 a year for my truck maintenance which should be ample imo. The cost of a new Tundra would cost me that every few months in payment alone.

Aug. 23, 2020, 5:23 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

The frames are stacked up like cord wood behind the dealer and they just give you a new one on warranty, I think its a 40hr job probably a good charge back for the dealer to Toyota, the local dealer will call you up thru that week and say this is also fucked up what do you wana do ?

the " its a toyota " thing never happened for me, IME shit still wore out, I got my 90 at 96,000 kms, stuff broke then it was pretty good between 200,000 and 300,000 and then it needed big repairs

I should have dumped it at around 275,000, I noticed there were alot of used 4-runers for sale with 275,000 kms

at the end it was averaging 1100 $ a month for fuel & repairs on a 10 yr old SUV,

it cost me the same $ to buy/run a brand new VW TDi

I had my frame replaced on warranty. The guy told me it takes 1 week to complete and is a $15000 job.  I said it would be cheaper to just buy the truck from me and scrap it but he wouldnt do it.

Aug. 23, 2020, 8:10 p.m.

Yup,  ^^ great money for the dealer, i wonder what the accounting is on that for the Toyota corp ?

Aug. 26, 2020, 10:50 a.m.

there was a short box Tacoma at the bluff other day and man they are really short,

5 trucks and a car in the lot,

4 of  the 5 trucks were Tacoma's

Sept. 14, 2020, 7:23 a.m.

https://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/news/the-new-2021-ford-ranger-tremor-isnt-a-raptor-but-its-getting-there

I could get down with this.

Sept. 14, 2020, 10:15 a.m.

Posted by: Madman

https://driving.ca/ford/auto-news/news/the-new-2021-ford-ranger-tremor-isnt-a-raptor-but-its-getting-there

I'm waiting for Ford to introduce the next gen Ranger before I decide which vehicle I will buy next. I like the current Ranger in general but it also does seem somewhat outdated and sort of half-assed on Ford's part. Hopefully the new Bronco is an indication that the new Ranger should be pretty cool. 

Does anyone on here have the current Ranger (2019/2020 models)? If so, how are you liking it? Read a bunch of positive stuff online about them.

Sept. 16, 2020, 3:34 p.m.

Posted by: Bull_Dozer

Posted by: Madman

I'm waiting for Ford to introduce the next gen Ranger before I decide which vehicle I will buy next. I like the current Ranger in general but it also does seem somewhat outdated and sort of half-assed on Ford's part. Hopefully the new Bronco is an indication that the new Ranger should be pretty cool. 

Does anyone on here have the current Ranger (2019/2020 models)? If so, how are you liking it? Read a bunch of positive stuff online about them.

Weird how the Aussies with less population always get the coolest ford trucks.

https://www.ford.com.au/performance/ranger-raptor/?&searchid=aw_923627906_47849059124_337106832940_e__g__ford%20raptor%20australia&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm7aQt93u6wIVlRh9Ch2SEQbQEAAYASAAEgIcdfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds